Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Default Best Track for FV Runoffs (and worst)

To go to a less controversial question but keep the competitive juices flowing.

What track in the US would be the best track to hold the FV Runoffs at? On track considerations only - don't worry about parking or hotels. I am looking for the best track for FV as far as passing, braking, drafting, etc. The track that would really reward the best car and driver. Back up your choice with details.

If we come to a consensus too quickly, then we could look at tracks that are not good for FV and why, and if they could be changed.

Fire away.

ChrisZ

Liked: 29

Default Best track

I'd say Road America. Only because it's the closest big track to me, and I can watch Varacins win again.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

Liked: 174

I would say Beaverun due to it's length (1.6 miles), and watching 40+ vee's trying to race
    on a track with only two major passing area's etc.....I meant worst track!
    Last edited by Amon; 12.02.13 at 7:57 PM.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Nelson Ledges...

Liked: 247

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Elwell View Post
    Nelson Ledges...
    It's been done haha, check out the bottom of the newsletter link here

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Wow, a three hour enduro at Nelson Ledges. Now I'd be surprised to see a Vee last more than 45 minutes there.

Contributing Member

I know I started this, but going to chime in here.

Unfortunately the best track is gone forever - Bridgehampton. It had two long straights, the diving turn was the test of driver, the track had at least 4 or 5 good passing zones, and felt like a race track, not a parking lot.

If Road America did not have a climbing front straight and Canada corner led on to said straight, it would be up there. It has produced some good finishes but so has Pocono (the Talladega of FV)

In the NE, NHIS just does no have enough good passing zones, Lime Rock may be the Brands Hatch of the US, but it needs a few more slow turns (the Mountain course that was never built might have made LR the #1 choice). Here's hoping for Thompson and Palmer (which might become the Nurburgring of North America). Now Watkins might be the best we have for FV right now, I would like to see the bus stop gone but besides that it has a good mixture of turns.

Mid Ohio and VIR would seem to be on the list but I have not driven them to make a decision.

Summit and Blackhawk seem to to remind me of each other - Maybe?

My last suggestion is Road Atlanta, again you have that long draft but with the current layout, does the draft determine the finish?

Or is the ideal FV track west of the Mississippi or north of the border? Is Mosport the best, Saint-Jovite? What about Barber Motorsports, Laguna, or is there an unknown track collecting dust out there?

ChrisZ

Liked: 159

Default best track?

One of the most challanging tracks in the usa is Mid Ohio.....lots of different type corners.....a straight long enough but not to long.....somewhere that takes some time to master. Given that, I consider it the best FV track (or any class really). I have run most of the tracks east of the Mississippi....but only Laguna on the west side.....so there might be another out west. There are lots of other good tracks for FV......Blackhawk, Hallet, etc. Short tracks mostly. For FV I feel the long straight at Elkart is way to long for FV to showoff a drivers skill. No matter what you do, the guy you just passed will pull right back on you on your way to turn 5.

Jerry Hodges

ChrisZ:

If they build the south course at Beaverun, it will more than double the length to around
    3.4 miles, and add the elevation changes would make it a leading contender.

Mark

Liked: 2

Most of us on the west coast consider Sears Point to be the most technical. It has blind corners and elevation changes.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Best Track
    I've only been there once but I think Summit Point is an awesome FV track.
    It has some fast 4th gear "should be/could be maybe flatout if I was crazy" turns that tempt you and a very technical section after a challenging braking zone that make the completion of every lap worthy of a small celebration.
    Can't wait to go back and try it again.

Maybe not the worst track....but I didn't enjoy NJMP Thunderbolt one bit.

-A

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4350

Mid-Ohio
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

DAYTONA!

Liked: 47

I would vote for Watkins Glen as the most challenging Vee track, but Nelson Ledges almost always leads to very tight pack racing and therefore more fun. It is short so it's easier to adjust to in a weekend and the course has a flow to it that is conducive to the momentum required for Vee's.
    Now if they would just repave it my argument would hold water.

Liked: 36

Brands Hatch easily!!but tow expenses are a bit much

Liked: 22

Brands Hatch Grand Prix is pretty good, but if we are going across the water it’s got to be Spa.
    This side of the pond, Watkins Glen.
    And the worst Gingerman or Grattan or perhaps Martinsville.

Liked: 115

Default Best track

If we're going to tow across the pond.. I want to go to Monte Carlo.. or second on the list would be Monza...

Liked: 115

Default Best track

In the States I'd like to go to Indianapolis..

I second Indy!!

Liked: 144

Before they castrated (put in the BS turns at the bottom of the back stretch) Road Atlanta, it was hard to beat the intensity of the last lap of a Vee race there. Multiple drafts followed by "who's gonna lift last" moves under the bridge made for some damn exciting races to watch, and be in.

Contributing Member

I was trying to watch some video from the 3 tracks we will run on the next few years, but very little video surprisingly. The YouTube one from Laguna is great to watch the tire deforming. but I am guessing only 3 possible passing areas.

I don't see a FV from Daytona, but Spec Miata is close from a speed point a view. The infield looks good but the high speeds on the banking leave a little to be desired. From aerial views, it looks like there is a cutoff that would eliminate the first turn banking, you still have the long run from the chicane to S/F. But who says S/F has to be where NASCAR has it? If Mid Ohio can start races on the back straight, why can't Daytona finish on the back straight (assuming they use the cutoff) - then the drafting will be part of the chess game, not the whole game.
    With the track as is - could it be a 4 or 5 wide race for the win?

With Mid Ohio, I thought the finish line should be a little further down the straight. That and most tracks are so fast these days that a FV spends more time in 4th than 3rd - or so it seems. I don't think the chicane before the keyhole adds anything.

Now someone mentioned Indy - the new track may not be great but looks better than before - I suggest we do everything to get the Runoffs there after Mid Ohio, because we may need the publicity by then.

ChrisZ

Liked: 25

My 2 cents - VIR

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbrowsky View Post
    My 2 cents - VIR
    I have never driven VIR and now never will (with the Oak Tree that is) but what makes it a good track for FV? It looks fun to drive but not many passing zones. What is the key top winning at VIR?

ChrisZ

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    If we're going to tow across the pond.. I want to go to Monte Carlo.. or second on the list would be Monza...

You just wanna see Vineyards as a bonus

Liked: 13

Default Bryar Motorsports

Chris Z. I agree that the Bridgehampton race circuit was the BEST, the layout was good for ANY class and as Sir Stirling Moss stated "it is the most challenging track in the States" but it is gone as is another race track that was good, that being Bryar Motorsports Park which is now been redesigned (UGH) by NASCAR NHIS, but think about a track that is not used by the SCCA; Shenandoah track in Summit Point, WV, Bill Scott designed this layout for drivers that want challenges and he designed many in this layout. No chance to rest and passing zones all over the place, especially for F/V and F/F. I have witnessed some great and close races there.

Liked: 21

Default Track choices

I have driven most of the tracks already mentioned and would like to add 2 tracks.

For sheer fun to drive, High Plains in Colorado is fun. Plenty of elevation change with a great variety of turns of both on and off camber and one long slightly uphill straight. Plenty of run off so cars won’t be damaged when driver has brain freeze.

The second is Miller Raceway in Utah. The facilities are the best that I have seen. There are 4 possible tracks that range from 2+ miles to 4+ miles. Using the long track the front straight is long. The main attraction though is the facilities.

Matt

Liked: 144

Default VIR

Saw VIR mentioned, which is a very nice track. However, I don't think it's best for a big field of Vees. It's longish (though not as long as RA) and there aren't many places to pass. It would be easy to get bogged down during qualifying if you didn't get by someone on the front stretch who was marginally slower than you. I've seen some good races there, but usually when the lead pack is 4 or 5 cars. However, the first turn would be even more interesting that most! There's no place to get by anyone for the next mile or so after that.

I also heard (second hand) that they would not be interested in hosting the Runoffs. Apparently, the owners feel that they generate more money from private events, which seems to be the only way some tracks are profiting right now. Hard to blame them for going where the $$ are. I'm saddened by the Country Club direction that several tracks are taking, but it's just another sign of changing economy and priorities. I'm glad I was around to witness SCCA racing when it was the perfect mixture of grassroots and ingenious design in most classes. There truly was a time when you could get by on talent, preparation, and design without sacrificing your children's education fund. Not bemoaning the current state; just reminiscing a bit..Sorry for veering off topic.

Liked: 4

Default If you're gonna go all out...

Why not go overseas and hit up The Ring or Hockenheim?

Liked: 1403

I recon that the 2014 run offs will be held at a great track to determine the 2014 national champion.

After that I would vote for MO. Both tracks are technically demanding.

Daytona and Elkhart are as much a test of the engine builders as they are of the driver and the package he chose.

Thread Information