Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 391

That sounds great Brian,

I would suggest against a heat race format, as in my opinion, always requires an extra important heat cycle on tires.

Liked: 72

Good point but some folks prefer racing to qualifying. We'll see what everyone else wants.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

I forgot to mention that this event is not considered a regional/divisional or majors event and will NOT award points towards either program.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 18

I would like to have two practice sessions on Friday.
    Qualifying and race on Saturday.
    Qualifying and race on Sunday.
    Each race day treated as a separate.entity.

Dan Grace

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by dangrace View Post
    I would like to have two practice sessions on Friday.
    Qualifying and race on Saturday.
    Qualifying and race on Sunday.
    Each race day treated as a separate.entity.

Dan Grace
    This helps with the contingency awards given out per race.

Jim

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    The 4th of July Open Wheel only weekend is much more than on, it is going to be 6 race groups each featuring single class races, two sessions each day each group, Friday through Sunday, to include all the following :
    FVEE, F600, DUFFUS FF/CF, F1600, F2000 and FAtlantics.
    Formula Race Promotions has been putting on races since 2006 and it seems we have got it pretty much figured out.
    Ask anyone who has run with us in F1600 or Atlantics and especially F2000 [FC] cars. Last season we held our 100th F2000 race at Watkins Glen with a full field.
    This may well be the only all purpose built race car weekend of virtually every participants experience and sure to be well received by everyone involved.
    You will be amazed at the joy of single class races, I promise !
    This sounds a lot like my understanding of "Majors Events" were supposed to be when thet were originally announced. Then they got hijacked into another name for the same ol national program.
    butch deer

Liked: 839

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    This helps with the contingency awards given out per race.

Jim
    It helps ... HOW?? Contingencies are generally awarded per RACE... A race is a race. I don't understand how making 2 on track sessions *NOT* count toward qualifying is a help in that.

Personally, I feel that the more QUALIFYING sessions there are, the better chance any driver has to overcome "issues" that might arise from one thing or another. 2 sessions of "practice" that don't count toward qualifying to me, make NO SENSE. Why NOT count them as qualifiers. Say that you go out in the first practice and blow your engine and spin in your own oil into a barrier. Then you can't make it for the next 2 sessions because you're FIXING YOUR CAR. No qualifying time at all, since the 3 or so laps you got before the engine let go were only PRACTICE - even though you turned some decent times.

I don't see the advantage at all of not counting ALL sessions as QUALIFYING.
    If you want to skip Friday all together and take your chances, you can do so (for no less $$$, BTW.. except for on track costs).

I still prefer ALL sessions to count as qualifiers...
    Who else??
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 174

Steve,

I agree with the qualifiers! I want the sessions to mean something and don't want to spend
    the entire Friday practicing etc.......

Mark

88' Citation 002'

Liked: 391

Steve,

The main disadvantage of having all sessions as qualifying sessions is it makes it harder for tire management. Old, wore out tires can be used for the practice sessions, eliminating the need for as many fresh tires.

Let's not turn this into a tire discussion, I'm just stating how it is with what we currently have.

Liked: 247

I think those who haven't been to Mid Ohio would probably want to have some track time before they have to qualify (they could use a qualifying session to learn the track but then they have to worry about being in the way of others).

That being said I'd be fine with having two qualifying sessions on Friday, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to have practice in the morning and qualifying in the afternoon.

Brian

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

There are lot of possible permutations, but a common way to schedule a three-day, two-race weekend would be:

Friday: Practice, Q1
    Sat.: Q2, R1
    Sun. Warm up, R2 (gridded by the qualifying results)

Or Sunday could be a third Q session or a heat race.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 5

Steve,
    I was referring to one race per day and many contingency sponsors pay per race.

Jim

Folks, this is not the process I plan to use to manage this event. If you want to be a part of that process ask to be a part of the mailing list. thank you. flame on.

Liked: 1

I really like the idea and would like to be on the mailing list. I guess I have to go to the registration site, MotorsportReg, to get on the list?

Was hoping that I could link it up with another weekend before or after to help make the trip a few less $/race. The best would have been the Majors at Watkins Glen, but then I checked and it's the same weekend, bummer.

Mike

Watch this list for impending news about an MSR signup.
    Steve, FV80

We are pleased to announce that our event is now on MSR. There is a provision to list your info as an "interested" status. There is no cost for this and it will give Steve and me a method of communication with email blasts with updates and info. Please pass this info on to your friends.

FYI - the direct link to get on the MSR mailing list is
    http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...sfv1200-074549

The actual official registration for DRIVERS should open around the first of May ... or so.
    Additional info will be sent to all registrants as it becomes available via the MSR "email blaster" feature.

This will make it easiest on everyone I think - at least for the organizers

Steve, FV80

Great news, we have 26 folks who have signed up to compete and have another 5 that are logged in to follow the progress of he event and receive news.

If you want to be a part of this event be sure to visit and sign up.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fv- ... 200-074549

USFV1200 is a reality. Vee only pro event will take place on 7/4 thru 7/6 at Mid Ohio. For a very reasonable entry fee of $450 competitors will get 3 hours of track time including two 30 minute races.

All registration will be handled by Motorsports Reg. so be sure to visit USFV1200 on the MSR website and sign up. This entry fee is set low to reflect the “no frills” nature of this weekend and NO CREDIT CARDS WILL BE ACCEPTED. The use of checks will save us serious money in card fees. Checks will be required for payment of fees and be made out to: Brian McCarthy and mailed to 1048 Millet Way, Sacramento, Ca. 95834.

Registration will close on June 20th. We have received enough positive responses to pursue this event but actual paid entries will assure that all our obligations will be fulfilled. The entry fee may change slightly if entries fall short, but at this point we are very comfortable with a entry fee of $450.

As stated before included in the entry fee is full SCCA liability and accident insurance.

We are currently pursuing sponsors and hope to have announcement in the coming weeks.

Be sure to visit MSR and review our event. There is a forum for folks to discuss their plans and make suggestions. We would like to have a pot luck dinner and celebration on Saturday night and this forum is a great place to coordinate planning.

FYI - the direct link to MSR registration for the July 4th weekend event at Mid Ohio is
    http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...sfv1200-544027.

Please commit to this event as soon as you can.

Thanks,
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 19

Thanks Brian & Steve for the effort to get this going!

The pot luck Dinner is a Great idea and the Abbott's are on board. We will move the race cars out from under the canopy and put tables up for this. hopefully the weather is perfect and wont need shelter but if needed we got that covered .....ha ha ....

really looking forawrd to an ALL Open wheel weekend.
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Liked: 49

This looks awesome I'd love to fly out there and volunteer for this weekend, but unfortunately it's the weekend before our current project delivers. Argh..

Have fun everyone, it looks like it'll be an incredible weekend of open wheel racing.

Liked: 0

I just tried to register, and found registration closed in April. Is our class full?

Liked: 0

Never mind, it decided I was allowed to play with you guys after all.

Dale,
    you must have squeaked in .. in between the 'are you interested' event and the REAL Race Registration. All should be good now.

BTW everyone.. no reserved numbers for this event - first come first served. Get those entries in NOW!! .
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Entries have exceeded 15 and folks are signing up. Be sure to enter soon to help our planning and remember your checks will not be cashed until mid June.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...sfv1200-544027

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information