Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 72

Default pro vee event at Mid Ohio 7/4/2014

I'm working on the posibility of a 3 day pro event in conjunction with the Pro 1600/2000/Atlantic weekend held at MidOHio on Juloy 4th of next year. There will be 3 days covering 3 hours of track time and SCCA sanctioning and insurance will apply.

For this to happen, it will take at least 20 cars. I know talk is cheap, but if you're truely interested, post on this thread to be included in future info.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 18

Default Pro Vee Race

I am interested. Please email me any info as it comes up. Thanks Rob Murray

Liked: 174

Count my son and I for the Fourth!

Mark

88' Citation 02
    02' Citation
    Last edited by Amon; 12.01.13 at 1:30 PM.

Liked: 0

Count me in for Mid Ohio, and please let us know about the possibility of any other pro events.

Thanks, Dale Rader

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Count me in.

Liked: 831

At this point, I'm pretty sure I can be there.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 20

Any idea on cost for this event?
    Mark Filip

Liked: 11

Default Include me in Pro Vee Event at Mid-O 7/4/14

Please include me in future correspondence

Rick Ruckman
    #0 FV

Liked: 19

Both the Abbott's are in.
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

This sounds fun.
    Count me in.

Liked: 23

Looks like we can make it. We hope to bring 4 cars with us from NEPA.

Liked: 3

I am in .

Gary

Liked: 8

I am in.

Thanks,
    Alex B.

Hey Steve, We've raced together an Mid-Ohio. Are you sure you don't have something else to do that weekend?

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Any idea on cost for this event?
    It's a pro race. You're supposed to make money not spend it.
    butch deer

Liked: 115

Default Pro Vee

Count me in.. Dale, maybe we can have Steven detained at the Mason Dixon border crossing

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    Count me in.. Dale, maybe we can have Steven detained at the Mason Dixon border crossing

"Mason Dixon Line" great song by Mark Knopfler and James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Stone View Post
    "Mason Dixon Line" great song by Mark Knopfler and James Taylor
    Maybe some drivers think they are in 'Dire Straights' !!
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 391

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Maybe some drivers think they are in 'Dire Straights' !!
    Steve, FV80
    Mark Knopfler wrote probably one of the only recorded songs to mention Road America, Long Beach, Indy, Mid-Ohio, the Milwaukee Mile, Belle Isle, and Monterey all in one song. Not the greatest song ever written, but not too bad either....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWo-51v-SFA

Oh - as for the original topic, I'll be there.

Liked: 20

Looks like a second 2014 runoffs! Good practice for 2016
    Mark Filip

Liked: 247

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    Looks like a second 2014 runoffs! Good practice for 2016
    I was thinking the same thing, this might end up being the east coast runoffs....

Quote Originally Posted by B Farnham View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, this might end up being the east coast runoffs....

... in JULY!!
    sd80

Liked: 22

Why not?

Liked: 151

Default Quando

Alright I’m just a caveat emptor kind of person and I can’t resist asking due diligence questions. Over the last four years running the FFDA series I’ve gotten to know a lot of SCCA folks busting their humps putting on divisional/regional races for what’s left of the racing masses. They give you a double race for about $300-350 bucks. A good deal but maybe devoid of the kind of competition you want. So you add a layer of organization and you come up with the FFDA series or the NE Vee Fall series where we are working with and aiding the SCCA guys. Sure a few of the SCCA guys are jerks but for the most part they are dedicated and terrific and they deserve to be supported.

So I simply ask all the sign ons here to ask about the cost. Will it be the same as the 1600/2000 series where the entries subsidize the winners?? Will you need to buy a tire package?? If they give you an entry for $350 and let you bring your own tires well just ask who is paying the prize money.

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    ... well just ask who is paying the prize money.
    Robert,
    I'm not sure about the rest, but my primary (and almost ONLY) interest in this event would be the SINGLE CLASS COMPETITION. I expect *ZERO* prize money - I would MUCH rather this be represented as a "reasonable cost" competition for single class. I don't need no stinking PRIZE money for an event like that. SINGLE CLASS GROUPING is my prize money

I hope others feel the same way. If you agree, please post here so that the organizers will realize that.

Steve, FV80

Liked: 3

This was posted on the FF forum in regards to their series called DUFFUS . I can't say whether this applies to the FV portion of the event but this is the information that they are posting .

DUFFUS 2014 Update #1
    Hi,

One of the DUFFUS (Da Unofficial Formula F United States) championship weekends has been arranged, so we want to give you who, what, where and how and see how you all feel about it. Please bear in mind that we are doing this just for the fun of racing in larger fields; no points; dubiously prestigious poorly crafted plastic trophies; and with the hope that you will find this appealing and decide to come and join us.

This event has caused us to break one of the promises that we made in our original post. Please keep reading if you are still interested.

The "far" (for us East Coasters) DUFFUS race is going to take place on Fourth of July weekend at Mid Ohio. Mike Rand of Formula Promotions (the organizers of the Pro F1600/F2000/Pro Atlantic series) has invited us to join them at Mid Ohio that weekend. Hence, the broken promise.............however; Mike is planning on racing with us that weekend. He has some very capable minions (my description, not his) who will look after the pro series drivers while he is out kicking our butts in between the pro series on track sessions.

This promises to be a very interesting weekend as Mike's group is planning on having an all "purpose built" race car weekend. In addition to the three pro series events and DUFFUS; there are races being planned for Formula Vee and for sport racing cars. This event will look very much like the 25th Anniversary of Formula Ford that Mike organized at Lime Rock in 1994.

We will get two sessions of on track time each day of the three day weekend. The format is for us to decide. At the moment we are looking at having one practice and one qualifying session on Friday; another qualifying session and a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday. We are considering that format so that those of us who have never been to Mid Ohio get a good amount of time to familiarize ourselves with the race course.

Formula Promotions will take care of timing and scoring and will be providing us with results sheets for our on track sessions. We will be responsible for our own tech inspection. As we mentioned previously, DUFFUS races will run under the SCCA Formula F rules package and the MARRS Club Ford rules will be used for those entering as Club Fords. The MARRS CF rules are essentially identical to the NARRC CF rules; hard tire compounds, one end outboard and Honda engines are eligible.

The entire weekend will run under an SCCA sanction, so it will count for license renewals. Any level of SCCA license is permissible unless you are planning on also running in one of the pro series events. In that case, you will have to have an SCCA Pro License. Mike has said that we are welcome to run in the pro series and would be willing to do something accommodating in terms of entry fee for those that wish to do that. You would however, have to run the pro series tires in the pro series sessions.

The entry fee for the weekend is going to be $495. For some perspective, a normal MARRS regional race is $275. A MARRS weekend consists of a qualifying session, a qualifying race and a feature race. Viewed through this lens; this seems like a very reasonable charge for the three day weekend.

The four of us have some concerns and legitimate reservations. We have concerns regarding how you might respond to or feel about the entry fee; about the three day weekend; about sharing in the Pro weekend rather than it being a regular SCCA regional race; about the number of on track sessions. We also very much like this idea and we hope you do as well.

We have some opportunities for additional events like this, but we really need to know how you feel about this. We are trying to adhere to our low key, very informal, "flash mob" intent, but I suspect that most flash mob type things do require some amount of organization and planning. Please bear in mind that we (Doug, Dave, Phil & I) do not receive any portion of the proceeds. We are doing this to try and see if there are more drivers like us who would like to race in larger fields reminiscent of the "old days". In order to do this there are still some i's the need dotting and t's that need crossing.

We four will be at Mid Ohio on the Fourth of July; can we expect some company?

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    Club Ford #04

Liked: 174

Robert,

If you're not planning to attend, then don't worry about it for us! I do appreciate your concern
    but it will work out in the long run, or we'll choose not race that weekend!

Mark

88' Citation 002
    02' Citation 007

Liked: 304

I agree with Steve. Have not posted anything since next year would be my first year back on the track, but I hope by this date I will feel comfortable enough to join in.

I made the assumption all along that the real appeal to this is the single race grouping.

Barry

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I don't need no stinking PRIZE money for an event like that. SINGLE CLASS GROUPING is my prize money
    Steve, FV80
    +1 for Steve's comment.

Also, I like the idea of 3 hours of track time.

Folks, this is still in the early planning stages. If you have said you will make it you will receive a request for an email address. As details and requirements get flushed out, they will be passed on to potential entrants.

This is not intended to be a commercial endevor but an opportunity for a quality weekend with vees only on course.

As I mentioned before, full SCCA insurance will apply, and GCR rules, including an absence of tire requirements, will control cars and competition.

This event will take a prior financial committment to happen. Since the weekend is planned as a non profit event, only competitors will be asked to provide the minor financial committment to make this happen.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 391

Thanks for working on putting this together Brian.

Will this be run under the SCCA PRO sanctioning? If so, those planning on attending should be aware of the extra cost and paperwork involved in obtaining a pro license, and plan accordingly. It's been a while since I've applied for the pro license, but if I recall it required more recent medical info.

It is my understanding that because this is a one event deal, SCCA PRO will waive the Pro License requirement. The event will be compliant with current GCR requiring both membership in SCCA and a Full Competition 2014 license. Licenses will undergo a change in 2014. A Full Comp license is required for all Majors and the Runoffs. I urge everyone to go to SCCA.com and learn about revised program. While you're there, if you have never logged on to your membership page, try it. There's a ton of info on your page: from financial statements and operational manuals, to the bylaws for the club. You can even research the runoffs history of every driver!

In

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Still on? I'm interested.

Liked: 5

BTW, the Formula 600 Challenge series will be there, too.

Jim

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

The 4th of July Open Wheel only weekend is much more than on, it is going to be 6 race groups each featuring single class races, two sessions each day each group, Friday through Sunday, to include all the following :
    FVEE, F600, DUFFUS FF/CF, F1600, F2000 and FAtlantics.
    Formula Race Promotions has been putting on races since 2006 and it seems we have got it pretty much figured out.
    Ask anyone who has run with us in F1600 or Atlantics and especially F2000 [FC] cars. Last season we held our 100th F2000 race at Watkins Glen with a full field.
    This may well be the only all purpose built race car weekend of virtually every participants experience and sure to be well received by everyone involved.
    You will be amazed at the joy of single class races, I promise !

I think that the Speedfest at Barber on Aug. 9-10 is going to be a similar arrangement.

Jim

Liked: 19

[QUOTE=Michael Rand;422411]The 4th of July Open Wheel only weekend is much more than on, it is going to be 6 race groups each featuring single class races, two sessions each day each group, Friday through Sunday, to include all the following :
    FVEE, F600, DUFFUS FF/CF, F1600, F2000 and FAtlantics.

AWESOME !!
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

This means more single class track time than either the June Sprints or the Runoffs.

Jim

Planning is ongoing for the upcoming Pro event at Mid Ohio. What we know so far is that it is a 3 day affair with two 30 minute sessions each day. The preliminary schedule shows the vees as first out each morning then first out after lunch for all 3 days. There will be ample time for car prep and watching the other classes. While going on track early in the morning is a challenge, the schedule has the vees running at 12:30 on Sunday, giving us all and early start for the tow home.

After some conversations, it appears that some folks prefer a schedule like the majors weekend and will consist of a either a practice and qualifying session Friday am then a qualifying session in the pm. On Sat.am, an additional 30 minute qualifier will take place then a 30 minute race will take place on Saturday afternoon. On Sunday, depending on what folks want, we will have either a 3rd qualifier or heat race in morning, then the final race in the afternoon. Like the Majors weekend, the starting position on Saturday will be based on the fastest lap during qualifying. On Sunday, if a heat race is run it could be gridded either by the fastest lap in all previous sessions or the finishing order in the Saturday race. The Sunday afternoon race can be gridded either way as well.

How we organize the weekend will depend on input from the registered competitors. Very soon, an account will be opened at Motorsports Registration to provide registration and an information link for all competitors. There will be surveys sent out to determine things like trophies, and awards. Watch for an announcement on this website in the next week or so.

It has been decided in order to reduce costs for this weekend, we will NOT accept credit cards. Payment may be made at Motorsports Reg. or at the track during registration. Entry fees will be very close to $500 and every attempt will be made to keep them as low as possible. As mentioned before, this is a not for profit endeavor and will be greatly dependent on the number of entries. Track cost, some official's travel and SCCA insurance will need to be covered but no overhead or profit. As we identify costs and an idea of entries, the fee will be published. I'm quite confident that with a turnout of 20 cars we will get 3 hours of track time for a cost that will be less than a Majors weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information