Liked: 53

Default NUBE question cam lock or latch link?

I have used cam lock belts in my dirt car and my Legends car.
    What is the preferred setup in a Vee?

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by gbmetcalf View Post
    I have used cam lock belts in my dirt car and my Legends car.
    What is the preferred setup in a Vee?

G.
    Cam lock all the way! I've heard of latch links being preferred on dirt tracks as the cam locks can jam if they get too dirty, but that'll never happen in a vee - or you'll have bigger problems

Cam locks are easier to get in and out of, but they do cost a bit more, usually. I strongly suggest spending the little bit extra and going for FIA belts that last 5 years, rather than the silly SFI certs that'll have you throwing your belts in the trash in 2 years.

If you get a choice, I also recommend pull up lap belts rather than pull down.. Or if your weight doesn't fluctuate much, maybe even fixed lap belts - make darn sure you adjust them at home, before going to the track, with your race suit on! Sucks to suddenly have to adjust them 5 minutes before a session. If you adjust them with your jeans on, you won't fit with the race suit on Ask me how I know...

Liked: 601

Default Nube question

Formula car....Cam lock !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 2

I have found it to be whatever the driver prefers. There is no set preference.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

cheapest!

Liked: 25

Default Adjusters

I have used both and I think the most important issues are adjusters (or none) that work in your car and 2 year vs. 5 year. With a HANS in a tight car I need help getting belted in.
    Frank C

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    I strongly suggest spending the little bit extra and going for FIA belts that last 5 years, rather than the silly SFI certs that'll have you throwing your belts in the trash in 2 years. .
    Agreed on all, except this ... FIA are typically $50+ more than SFI. SFI are good for 3 (calendar date) years. Many manufactures/vendors will have your SFI belts re-webbed and certified for you in the $50-60 area. This includes all new belt material and hardware checked. Then you are good for another 2+ years... Given how dirty belts can get in a car, having new ones twice as often are nice at that price.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Agreed on all, except this ... FIA are typically $50+ more than SFI. SFI are good for 3 (calendar date) years. Many manufactures/vendors will have your SFI belts re-webbed and certified for you in the $50-60 area. This includes all new belt material and hardware checked. Then you are good for another 2+ years... Given how dirty belts can get in a car, having new ones twice as often are nice at that price.
    That's true.. I guess I always factor in shipping both ways from Canada to the US at $20 each way and the time it takes, but in the US it's not as big a deal!

Liked: 69

Default Cam Lock

Cam Lock are much easier to use when you are in tight spaces like in a Lazer!! I say cam-lock all the way!!!

Kim Madrid

Liked: 41

I have found that the cam lock and the pull up lap belts are much easier to use. If you are the only one getting you strapped in the car and most formula cars are tight confines, then getting everything hooked up is much easier. I could not make the fixed lap belts work as easily as the pull up ones. Just too much trouble to get the substraps in and the lap and shoulder belts hooked in. My FF was worse than my DSR.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

I normally like cam locks and pull up belts, but there are some cars, the Citation with the stock seat is one of them, where the adjusting buckles will dig into your sides. In this case pull down latch lock will be more comfortable since the ends are sewn in.

Does anyone know who does custom approved sewing on belts?

Chris Z

Thread Information