Liked: 9

Default Pru article on CM in SoloMatters

Great article, Pru.
    http://www.solomatters.com/2013/11/s...-1-c-modified/
    What I want to know is where you get tires for $900
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 1417

Thanks for the ApexSpeed plug, Chris! Nice article, too. It's just contributing to my want for a CM car.

Liked: 99

Did not see anything in the article about Meijer Pretzels.

Liked: 309

Default Mid-Atlantic Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Great article, Pru.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    What I want to know is where you get tires for $900
    Tom Reichel of Mid-Atlantic Motorsport drops ships tires direct from the factory (~300 miles away) and I have a local tire place that dismounts/mounts/disposal-of-old tires for ~$40 (yea I know, hard to believe). That is, reasonable shipping, no taxes (initally), and cheap mounting lead to the stated cost. When I first started doing this back in the 90's, the cost was around $600...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Default CM needs you!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Thanks for the ApexSpeed plug, Chris! Nice article, too.
    No problem Doug; ApexSpeed is the one place I tell folks to look for FF/CM information. Simply no better site!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    It's just contributing to my want for a CM car.
    Given that it's roghly 3 hours to Lincoln NE, you are in a great location for a CM car. That is, the NRSCCA hosted 7 events at Lincoln Airpark in 2013 plus the Spring Nationals and Solo Nationals! Perfect!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 1417

Plus, I think there is a pretty healthy Solo II contingent in the Des Moines Valley Region. Might have to start develop a long-term plan to run a CM out here.

Default Offical Snacks of CM?

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Did not see anything in the article about Meijer Pretzels.
    Hmm. Perhaps we need to start an “Official CM” listing? How's this for a start :

and

Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 40

Default Nice article

Nice article and great beer. The two are good together. The daughter works for New Belgium on the west coast.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Liked: 65

About running in the rain, I have used my motorcycle rain gear. Worked great. Mine is made by Firstgear and isn't exactly cheap, however it is made to wear under a helmet, travel down the interstate at 70+mph and keep you dry. Frogtogs are cheaper and might be good too.

For tires, I know Tom Reichel and I've worked for Appalachian Race Tire part time and full time for the past 20+ years. I always forget y'all elsewhere in the country get screwed on the customer service part of the tire service. The most fun I had at 2005 solo nats was telling Tom take a seat, relax and I will catch you up on tires. (ok so I went to nats with a crappy car) So, give Tom a call and see what he can do for ya.

Fat tire is nice, but make mine a 1554. Thanks

Liked: 9

I did 25 runs at an Evo school in the rain. My coach declined to drive my car. I had a motorcycle one piece outfit and a rain top over that. The fogging on my shield was the biggest problem. Of course I would not ask for rain, but properly prepared for it, including rain tires, still great fun driving a FF
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 0

I had no idea Fat Tire was the (un)official beer of CM. I knew it was a good decision when I bought the car this spring!

Liked: 80

Rain... well one of the first time I drove Mark car was in the rain and it was at Oakland with big puddles and when you have a nice jacket on to keep warm and then the first puddle you hit throws the water right up your pant leg, well that's one way to get your attention.

Ben

Liked: 8

Cooling system question. When I got the Reynard, the cooling system was dry. I have been running distilled water, Water Wetter and 20% coolant (it does freeze in NorCal and car is in a detached garage.) The cooling system has always been marginal, even with a fan on one radiator. I took the radiators out yesterday to have them flow tested. I had never noticed rust in the system when checking level in the swirl pot, and what came out when detaching the hoses didn't seem rusty, but both radiators had rusty water in the bottom when I pulled them out. Obviously, a cast iron block can be a source of rust. Should I flush it with something, should I just do the same thing when I put it back together, or something else? Ideas?

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDavis View Post
    Cooling system question. When I got the Reynard, the cooling system was dry. I have been running distilled water, Water Wetter and 20% coolant (it does freeze in NorCal and car is in a detached garage.) The cooling system has always been marginal, even with a fan on one radiator. I took the radiators out yesterday to have them flow tested. I had never noticed rust in the system when checking level in the swirl pot, and what came out when detaching the hoses didn't seem rusty, but both radiators had rusty water in the bottom when I pulled them out. Obviously, a cast iron block can be a source of rust. Should I flush it with something, should I just do the same thing when I put it back together, or something else? Ideas?

Charlie
    Had the same thing Charlie, all I did was flush it out with the hose and refill my car with the same distilled water, water wetter and about 10 to 15% coolant. Can't wait until next season starts up.

Ben

Liked: 231

This link no longer works so is probably worth updating or deleting this sticky thread.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Default Updated link...

Quote Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
    This link no longer works so is probably worth updating or deleting this sticky thread.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Updated link: ShopManual - Chapter 1: C-Modified
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Very nice Pru,

Although tire life is up to the surface you drive on, went to Thunder Hill race way all last year and was able to use the same tires all year long, "that was awesome". This year 2021 50 runs and I can still use them but like you said not even Regionally fast, so at this point for the Crows site I will buy new after 50 runs and see the wear.

Ben

Thread Information