Liked: 23

Default 1985 Ralt RT5/540 info

Hi,
    I am new to this forum but have recently purchased 1985 Ralt RT5/540 I believe to be the ex Gary Rubio (car#26) from mid eighties. It should arrive in the next week, all going well.

I plan doing a full resto on the car and would love any info and photos of the car to assist in bringing it back to it's historic livery.

The previous owner has been fantastic and is sending me all the info and log books he has at hand but, on the off chance something else is out there, I'd love to get hold of it.

Unfortunately being in Australia, there is not a lot relating to FSV's here so Google is my friend.....

Anything you may be able to offer would be hugely appreciated and can be sent to me at rvirago@motherwell.net.au

Regards,
    Ricky.

Liked: 15

Quote Originally Posted by trickycoupe View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum but have recently purchased 1985 Ralt RT5/540 I believe to be the ex Gary Rubio (car#26) from mid eighties. It should arrive in the next week, all going well.

I plan doing a full resto on the car and would love any info and photos of the car to assist in bringing it back to it's historic livery.

The previous owner has been fantastic and is sending me all the info and log books he has at hand but, on the off chance something else is out there, I'd love to get hold of it.

Unfortunately being in Australia, there is not a lot relating to FSV's here so Google is my friend.....

Anything you may be able to offer would be hugely appreciated and can be sent to me at rvirago@motherwell.net.au

Regards,
    Ricky.
    Ricky, was the Rubio car in 1985 then to Larry Overby 1986. Would appreciate knowing who had it after then according to log books so I can complete the history.

Chris

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Hi Chris,
    I have sent you an email. Please check your in box.

Kind regards,
    Ricky.

Well, thought I should probably follow up with the status of RT5-540.
    It has been finished for some time now and is getting some regular use here in Australia.
    I think the car came out pretty well considering it was pretty much a basket case to begin with.

A couple of photos for posterity...

I also have RT5-535 being the Dave Kudrave / Hiro Nishioka car which I am doing a complete rebuild on now with the aim of having my young son drive it (eventually)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers
    Ricky
    Ralt RT5 (535)
    Lola T492 (HU17)

6. The following 10 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Wow. That looks fantastic. Great work.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 101

Default Rt5

WOW,
    Really nice job !!!!!!!!
    I have Roger Penske Jr / Davy Jones car 1982 #287 been racing it for the past 11 years with John Morton what a blast #@%$
    Have Fun be safe,
    Dee
    RT5
    RT41

Liked: 73

Fantastic Restoration!!!!. Beautiful job.!!!!!

I raced a 1983 RT5 for several years and loved the chassis.
    Really liked the down force (I run a really tight twisty track in Oklahoma where you can use ALL the down force you can get!).
    Sold the car and moved to FC, got tired of the high maintenance VW engine.

Best of Luck!

Aaron

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 13

Default Rt5

Beautiful car, excellent workmanship. You should be proud of the car. I am looking to purchase a RT5 so any leads would be appreciated. email prichins@jps.net Thanks, Paul---

Liked: 39

Default 1985 Ralt RT5/540

Yes, very nice work on the restoration. I look forward to seeing you sons car.
    Tom

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

Default Rt 5

Quote Originally Posted by tdf4golf View Post
    Yes, very nice work on the restoration. I look forward to seeing you sons car.
    Tom
    HELLO GREAT JOB!!!
    I was wondering if there is a way to trace a RT 5 i sold about 15 years ago,
    it was one race car i should have kept and maybe would like to find, i sold it
    to a person in California that he was going to race in vintage it was a 1985 i believe
    and was black and white. DAVID OLEARY in log book.
    thanks

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by david oleary View Post
    HELLO GREAT JOB!!!
    I was wondering if there is a way to trace a RT 5 i sold about 15 years ago,
    it was one race car i should have kept and maybe would like to find, i sold it
    to a person in California that he was going to race in vintage it was a 1985 i believe
    and was black and white. DAVID OLEARY in log book.
    thanks
    Do you know if it went to north or south California? There is pretty good separation in where people run because of distance. I'm in So California and seem to remember a black and white SV that ran with us. I'll be at a race this weekend and ask around. Do you have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by bobmic View Post
    Do you know if it went to north or south California? There is pretty good separation in where people run because of distance. I'm in So California and seem to remember a black and white SV that ran with us. I'll be at a race this weekend and ask around. Do you have a picture?
    It went to Pacoma i think the owners name was Allen

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_T360 View Post
    Ricky, was the Rubio car in 1985 then to Larry Overby 1986. Would appreciate knowing who had it after then according to log books so I can complete the history.

Chris
    Realizing this was posted in 2013, for the record, Larry’s surname is spelled “Overbey.”

He’s the dad of Scott (RIP), who won the Pro S2000 Series as a Rookie in 1984 when fresh out of karts.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by david oleary View Post
    It went to Pacoma i think the owners name was Allen
    Yep that rings a bell. Gerald Allen and I remember the car. I'll sniff around this weekend and find out what happened to it.

Default Gerald Allen RT5

Quote Originally Posted by bobmic View Post
    Yep that rings a bell. Gerald Allen and I remember the car. I'll sniff around this weekend and find out what happened to it.
    does anyone know who Gerald sold his RT-5 to?? I think that was my old car and would like to find it,

Liked: 39

Default Really nice restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Wow!!!. That looks fantastic. Great work.

Wow!!!. That looks fantastic. Great work.

Liked: 2

Default Super Vee Australian spec

Quote Originally Posted by trickycoupe View Post
    Hi,

Regards,
    Ricky.
    Nice job on restoration. Your running the car in 1989 Atlantic spec, 1800cc and 8" + 10" rims. The car doesn't comply with Motorsport Australia historic certification unfortunately which limits you to Western Australia club events. Hopefully you can change spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Raltracer View Post
    Nice job on restoration. Your running the car in 1989 Atlantic spec, 1800cc and 8" + 10" rims. The car doesn't comply with Motorsport Australia historic certification unfortunately which limits you to Western Australia club events. Hopefully you can change spec.
    Thanks for the positive feedback - (i'm guessing this is Peter Brennan)

I'm all good with running the current spec. This was a pro car and is restored per its last Atlantic log book certificate.

I really can't see why MA would not be willing to historically recognise that ALL cars have a history, so which point in history do you believe it should comply with? Day 1, Day 3, Day 54, etc...- they all evolve so I believe (rightly or wrongly) pick a period in its life and comply to that.

Personally, I'd rather see historic cars out on the grid being used (in an invitation type class if necessary) rather than tucked away unused due to pettiness.

My T492 Lola is historic compliant, If I end up travelling east for a historic event, I'll bring that so the powers that be don't get their nickers bent out of shape.

Lets face it we are running for a bit of fun, displaying cars to the public and plastic trophies (if your interested in ego stroking) - not a world championship.

Off my high horse and End of rant.
    Cheers
    Ricky
    Ralt RT5 (535)
    Lola T492 (HU17)

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information