Liked: 0

Default Cornering/braking/acceleration g-forces of F500 (or F600)?

I'm just curious with how well these cars perform? I've never driven one but they look very quick on auto-x courses.

Liked: 4

Actual g forces will vary a lot on surface conditions, and of course peak g's can be significantly higher - but some rough sustained G's I'm getting in my autox F500 is 1g accel, 2g cornering, 2g braking.

This is a video from nationals in 2012, note the little bouncing ball "gauge" at the top - the inner ring represents 1g, the outer ring 2g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf36EGx9Ml8

Quote Originally Posted by Scootin159 View Post
    Actual g forces will vary a lot on surface conditions, and of course peak g's can be significantly higher - but some rough sustained G's I'm getting in my autox F500 is 1g accel, 2g cornering, 2g braking.

This is a video from nationals in 2012, note the little bouncing ball "gauge" at the top - the inner ring represents 1g, the outer ring 2g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf36EGx9Ml8
    Funny, I actually came across one of your vids in youtube the other day which initially sparked my curiosity. That was just a beautiful run by the way.

Liked: 4

My car, but not my run

eremoy,

If you are interested I have a similar car for sale. look at the classifieds.

For Sale T2001 - Red Devil.

Liked: 6

Our cars perform amazingly well in the realm of cornering and braking, especially when you consider we use a rubber puck suspension instead of shocks and we can't fit very large brakes into our tiny wheels. The weight of the car varies based on the engine you run, but at between 800 - 875 lbs the cars are very light and responsive. This light weight means there's not much car to get slowed down and we can easily out brake a top Formula Ford/Honda car. The cornering ability of the F500 car when compared to a Formula Ford/Honda is also very similar, with a slight edge to the FF in high speed corners.

I don't have G-data to give out, but thanks to the CVT our cars accelerate very well. There is no waiting for peak power, when you hit the gas it's all there.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel with some videos of laps at a few different tracks, this link specifically is my Road America track record lap from 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TyN...ELwBzlfJ7_3l8A
    Michael Mueller
    2011 & 2012 SCCA Formula 500 National Champion

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by eremoy View Post
    Funny, I actually came across one of your vids in youtube the other day which initially sparked my curiosity. That was just a beautiful run by the way.
    That's me in the car my brother and I developed. The G trace is pretty heavily smoothed. Peak numbers are 2.25G cornering and a little over 2 in braking. With a fresh engine it gets to 60mph in 2.8 seconds and to 80mph in just over 5. If you want to drive a rocketship on the cheap they're a good buy. They are a lot of work though...

On a roadcourse with a hot tire and a large radius turn I would say you're looking at 1.7g sustained cornering, max, for most F5s without significant aero. Most of my traces would suggest this number was about 1.6g or so depending on how loosely you want to interpret it. Peaks can be well into the 2g range.

I've heard 2+ sustained from other, more aero enabled cars but I wouldn't believe much over 1.9g. Inferring corner radius from GPS correlates well with the 1.6g number and I haven't been around many aero cars that corner significantly harder than ours does (less sideways maybe...). That being said there are some corners that I've felt a significant difference with a better developed F5 aero package but you need to be in the 90mph+ range.

Steve

Thread Information