Liked: 0

Default Radical SR3 : Need insight on recommended spares list

I've just purchased a 2007 SR3 that, while being in great condition and well prepared, does not come with any spares.

Does anyone have a recommended spares list that I can learn from to help ensure I purchase the needed items to hopefully eliminate shortened track days due to equipment issues?

Thanks much,

Rick

Liked: 13

Post Radical

What engine is in your Radical ? Who built the engine ?

How many hours on the engine / trans combo ? Condition of clutches is critical as well.

Does it have stainless steel valves or are they the stock titanium valves ? How many HP ? or is it stock ? Carbs of FI ?

Any spare wheels & tires come with the car ? --- You will need at least one spare set of tires mounted & balanced & ready to put on the car as a flat can happen to any one, any time.

A spare nose is a highley recomended Item for any sports racer.

Do you have a way to add air to your tires at the track ?

Fuel Juggs, D-funnel, tools, super accuate tire pressure guage, brake bleeded bottle & hose along with high-temp brake fluid & of course spare brake pads, long handle torque wrench, specal socket & extension to fit wheel nuts, fuel transfer pump, tires & wheels, extra oil, spare chain, chain lube, low profile lift jack to get car up off the ground on both ends, racer tape that matches car color, extra body clips, Book to write your on track settings & changes, battery charger & long extension cord, small generator, extra rear sprocket set, etc. , etc... would be a good start.

m.
    Last edited by Malfred; 11.10.13 at 3:46 PM.

Thank you...this helps.

The car is a 2007 w/ an RPE 1500. The engine has 21 hours on it now. It's FI and has had some stage 1 head work done on the car.

The good news is that I"m fairly well equipped after 8+ years of racing Porsches in PCA. So, the main thing I'm looking for is what I need for the car itself. As of now, here's the list I'm building up:

• low profile lift (recommendations ?)
    • extra oil
    • spare axles
    • brake pads
    • bearings
    • body clips
    • spare nose

Thanks much,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Malfred View Post
    What engine is in your Radical ? Who built the engine ?

How many hours on the engine / trans combo ? Condition of clutches is critical as well.

Does it have stainless steel valves or are they the stock titanium valves ? How many HP ? or is it stock ? Carbs of FI ?

Any spare wheels & tires come with the car ? --- You will need at least one spare set of tires mounted & balanced & ready to put on the car as a flat can happen to any one, any time.

A spare nose is a highley recomended Item for any sports racer.

Do you have a way to add air to your tires at the track ?

Fuel Juggs, D-funnel, tools, super accuate tire pressure guage, long handle torque wrench, specal socket & extension to fit wheel nuts, fuel transfer pump, tires & wheels, extra oil, spare chain, chain lube, low profile lift jack to get car up off the ground on both ends, racer tape that matches car color, Book to write your on track settings & changes, battery charger & long extension cord, small generator, extra rear sprocket set, etc. , etc... would be a good start.

m.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by rfairwea View Post
    Thank you...this helps.

The car is a 2007 w/ an RPE 1500. The engine has 21 hours on it now. It's FI and has had some stage 1 head work done on the car.

The good news is that I"m fairly well equipped after 8+ years of racing Porsches in PCA. So, the main thing I'm looking for is what I need for the car itself. As of now, here's the list I'm building up:

• low profile lift (recommendations ?)
    • extra oil
    • spare axles
    • brake pads
    • bearings
    • body clips
    • spare nose

Thanks much,

Rick
    Low Profile Lift

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=872

Plus a standard low profile jack for the rear jack point.

Extra Oil

Silkolene 15W50

Other Extras

I've found this site rather helpful.

http://www.mtcracing.co.uk/page209.asp

Also, you should call Radical West and have them send you the appropriate dip stick to check the oil level.

I'd also highly recommend at least one extra starter if not two, this season alone I've seen at least six or seven Radicals need new starters because the drivers spun them and didn't clutch in quick enough.

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    I'd also highly recommend at least one extra starter if not two, this season alone I've seen at least six or seven Radicals need new starters because the drivers spun them and didn't clutch in quick enough.
    Yup! I see it happen all the time...

Default lifts

Best lifts around
    http://www.mktechnologies.com/produc...quick_lift.htm
    Check out the rest of the site.
    Great collapsing A-frame lift and stands.
    Spare starters are a must.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmanmtl View Post
    Best lifts around
    Spare starters are a must.
    Looks well built but nearly 2x the cost of the one at Pegasus...plus, no wheels. What makes it worth the extra cost?

Quote Originally Posted by rfairwea View Post
    Looks well built but nearly 2x the cost of the one at Pegasus...plus, no wheels. What makes it worth the extra cost?
    I have to attest to their quality, nothing short of awesome. The difference is the clearance, but the Pegasus ones will work just fine for your Radical unless it's really dropped. I've only had trouble with two or three Radical SR8's that had pretty low ride height.

Liked: 10

Consider the air jacks instead. We installed them on our SR3 and it was great. There's a guy on the Radical forum (sal3coach) with a used set for sale. Same guy we bought ours from.

We also installed a second battery kit from Radical. After our engine rebuild, the single battery just wouldn't turn it over well. The second battery doesn't charge from the stator (alternator) so plan on a good trickle charger to keep it charged between events.

If the shoulder harness mounting points haven't been changed to wear a HANS properly, do so. We had to move the mounting points in on our 2003 SR3.

The starter motor gearing should be upgraded with an anti-kick back sleeve from APE and the clutched typed gearing. Protects the starter from breaking the housing on the block.

If you rebuild the engine install the hardened steel shifter fork rails from APE and consider clutching on all up and downshifts. The main shaft of the tranny can break as it's stressed.

The heavy duty axle shafts are a smart upgrade as well and if it doesn't have a differential cooler, add it.

Extras you'll want:
    Wheels/tires (sort of a given)
    Starter
    Oil: Elf 4XT Tech (http://performanceoilstore.com/prodd...sp?prod=801668)

Feff
    Last edited by Feffman; 11.13.13 at 8:26 AM.

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by snowmanmtl View Post
    Best lifts around
    I have a used A frame hoist and rolling chassis stand for sale if interested
    its posted on this site last week, and is ready to be shipped.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60880

and yes, the MKT stuff is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
    Consider the air jacks instead. We installed them on our SR3 and it was great. There's a guy on the Radical forum (sal3coach) with a used set for sale. Same guy we bought ours from.
    Feff
    I can't find the listing...which forum is it on?

Thread Information