Thread: Shock tuning

Liked: 9

Default Shock tuning

My car seems to handle very well with the triple adj Penskes. I vary the high speed compression dampening from the mid setting to min depended on how uneven the course surface. I leave low comp and rebound at what came on the car. I am looking for more info and someone to delve into the shocks and adjusting them for maybe better autocross performance. Any help or ideas?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 11

Default Anze

Call Angelo Zarra at Anze Engineering. He trained under one of the best FF shock tuners there was Joe Stimola, whose shocks have won CM at least 3 of the past 5 years.

http://www.anzesuspension.com/
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    My car seems to handle very well with the triple adj Penskes. I vary the high speed compression dampening from the mid setting to min depended on how uneven the course surface. I leave low comp and rebound at what came on the car. I am looking for more info and someone to delve into the shocks and adjusting them for maybe better autocross performance. Any help or ideas?
    Mark
    Guy Ankeny for west coast Penskes

Quote Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
    Guy Ankeny for west coast Penskes
    Guy got back to me. He said he had no idea what kind of valving I might need. I e mailed the previous owner with Q's. Hope he gets back to me.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 127

I work for Angelo at ANZE. We would be happy to help you out with whatever you may need.

You can reach me directly at wvelkoff@anzesuspension.com

Thanks,
    Will
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Guy got back to me. He said he had no idea what kind of valving I might need. I e mailed the previous owner with Q's. Hope he gets back to me.
    Mark
    That's a very odd response.

Guy also said he could change the oil and put them on his dyno.
    Mark

We (mostly Marshall) ran numbers and printed out a desired plot for my A mod shocks. I asked Guy if he could help. He said yes, but asked that I go with what he felt I needed, having watched the car for a year. He said that if his hunch was wrong, he'd fix them for free to what ever I wanted. I said sure.

When I got the shocks back, they came with dyno charts that looked just like the ones we (mostly Marshall) came up with. Seems his "gut" pointed the same direction as the spreadsheet (which he didn't have).

We (mostly Marshall) ran numbers and printed out a desired plot for my A mod shocks. I asked Guy if he could help. He said yes, but asked that I go with what he felt I needed, having watched the car for a year. He said that if his hunch was wrong, he'd fix them for free to what ever I wanted. I said sure.

When I got the shocks back, they came with dyno charts that looked just like the ones we (mostly Marshall) came up with. Seems his "gut" pointed the same direction as the spreadsheet (which he didn't have).
    Could I see what "ran numbers and printed out a desired plot" looks like?
    Mark

Could I see what "ran numbers and printed out a desired plot" looks like?
    Mark
    I don't think any of it would translate to your CM car. Unless you plan on running springs to compensate for 1000# of downforce.

Liked: 0

Mark,
    In case you're looking for the basics, here's a decent article on shock dynos and force curves:

http://www.roehrigengineering.com/Te...ome%20from.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Puertas View Post
    Mark,
    In case you're looking for the basics, here's a decent article on shock dynos and force curves:

http://www.roehrigengineering.com/Te...ome%20from.pdf
    Thanks, Robert.
    Mark

I don't think any of it would translate to your CM car. Unless you plan on running springs to compensate for 1000# of downforce.
    Wow, 1000lb. No problem as I have found them elsewhere.
    Mark

Liked: 10

you can plug some numbers into something like this to get you started.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets16.html

Thread Information