Liked: 81

Default FS: Van Diemen FS/FB - SOLD

Car Make: Van Diemen
    Car Model: RF-02-H-X #2881
    Car Year: 2002
    Car Class: F1000/FB/FS
    Condition: Complete, light use
    Roller or Turnkey: turnkey

The car is a lightly-used 2002 Van Diemen with a Honda 1100cc dry-sump superbike motor and sequential transmission. The car’s SCCA Formula S compliance certification is dated 1/2003. The logbook shows two races in early 2003. After that the car was sold to Landmark Motorsports, who evidently didn’t race it. I purchased the car 7/11, prepped it and ran the car once in 3/12.

My intention was to install a GSXR1000 motor and run it as an F-1000/Formula B, but I got a pacemaker put in first and have decided to change hobbies.

The motor is a 2000 Honda CBR1100 with a Power Commander-II, rebuilt with the trans in 2003 by Jordan Engineering. No dyno numbers but stock Honda output claim is 164 plus the Power commander remapping should yield about 180. My one weekend in the car would suggest considerably less. The car needs a new motor.

Fuel lines, battery, filters, all 4 tripod joints (lightened), boots, chain. starter and rear sprocket are new. I also added an AIM XG-Log dash. Shocks are good Penske 8760 3-ways, differential is a Ford open unit, two sets of OZ aluminum wheels.

Chassis/body are clean and in very good shape.

Spares:
    • new Rear wing assembly
    • new shock cover
    • nose/front wing assembly (minus one of the winglets)
    • sprockets
    • chain
    • new camber shim set
    • another new starter motor (in the bubble wrap)
    • starter solenoid
    • upper and lower front and rear A arms
    • pushrods
    • track rods, etc (pictured)
    • low-downforce plate for step-up to raised nose.

Asking Price: $16,000 or best offer
    Contact Name: Tom Thompson
    Contact Phone: 760-500-9013
    Contact E-mail: tom-thompson@att.net
    Car Location: San Diego, California
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 11.29.13 at 7:32 PM.

The user account ApexSpeed is acting as a posting agent for the seller and is not selling any items through this website. Please do not contact this user account (ApexSpeed) for information about any listed classified. Use contact information found in ad for all correspondence. Listing accuracy and sales dealings are not the responsibility of the posting agent (ApexSpeed) or the site's owners. As with any online classified dealings, ALL responsibility lies with the seller and the buyer. Buyer beware.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Can anyone make a guestimate as to the cost of converting this to FB specifications?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Default Trades?

I have a 13yo Thoroughbred Jumper or sale - valued over $25k.

Easy deal, right?

Liked: 49

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Can anyone make a guestimate as to the cost of converting this to FB specifications?
    This car is effectively an Elan DP04. It would only need changing the engine to be legal. I have spoken a bit with Tom about this so I think this is all it would take. Not sure if there are any other requirements for the class that this would not meet.
    Doug

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    10K. How's that for a guestimate?

This car has been for sale on Apex before. There are a few different versions of this car that have been built and raced in different programs outside the U.S. Not sure if it is designated as a DP-04, the side pods are more like FE side pods. And the chassis is a 2002. Kinda pre FE/DP-04? Not sure there.

But it looks like a nice clean car- just not sure what you can do with it, and how much trouble it would be to re-engine it....

Liked: 757

It is effectively a DP-04. The DP is Don Panoz after he bought Van Diemen. The engine bay on this car will be very slightly different as this was designed around the blackbird motor. The DP-04 was built around the GSXR. That said there's plenty of room for a GSXR and with new engine mounts it shouldn't be a costly or tricky job at all.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    It is effectively a DP-04. The DP is Don Panoz after he bought Van Diemen. The engine bay on this car will be very slightly different as this was designed around the blackbird motor. The DP-04 was built around the GSXR. That said there's plenty of room for a GSXR and with new engine mounts it shouldn't be a costly or tricky job at all.
    I agree that an engine installation would not be to tough. If you can do your own work you could convert if for about $5k. I really mean all your own work. Pays someone and it will be much more.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 0

Default Rf-02 / dp-04

Thanks Ben and Jay for chiming in... you guys are way more knowledgeable than me on the subject. And yes, this car was on ApexSpeed on and off for quite a while before I bought it.

Really appreciate your help, Ben, after my purchase. You did such a great job on your DP-04, you sure you don't want another project ;-)

Tom

Liked: 757

I might have a project or two unfortunately!
    Last edited by SEComposites; 10.22.13 at 10:20 PM.

Liked: 2

Bump to the top.

I just bought Tom's Swift.

Tom represented the car very honestly and the car is great. I would have no issues recommending him as a seller.

Tom made the transaction very comfortable.

Default 02 Van Diemen

Appreciate the endorsement, Jay! It's easy to be a good seller when you've got a good buyer :-)

And somebody's going to really enjoy the Van Diemen. With a GSXR1000, it's got great Formula B car potential... check out some of the very nice DP-04s for sale on this forum.

Default Price reduction

Must be all the Black Friday ads… but the new asking price is $16,000. Somebody needs to change the motor and run this car!

Liked: 273

I believe I looked at this car about 5 years ago when it was for sale prior to the current ower. It's a very low time chassis.

I'm in San Diego if anyone would like for me to look at the car for them, no strings attached. I build cars as part of my machine shop services so I know what I'm looking at.

THINGS THIS CAR WOULD NEED:
    LIMITED SLIP CHAIN DRIVE DIFFERENTIAL
    ENGINE
    HEADER / MUFFLER
    WIRE HARNESS
    FAB WORK TO INSTALL ENGINE / DIFF
    DIFFUSER (to make it competitive it would need a diffuser)
    Last edited by ghickman; 11.29.13 at 3:46 PM. Reason: forgot the diff
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Default The car is sold

The car is sold. Thanks ApexSpeed!

Tom

Thread Information