Thread: PFM in FA

Liked: 0

Default PFM in FA

Does anyone know someone who races PFM in Formula Atlantic, i have a few questions i would like to find answers for.

Liked: 1

What would you like to know?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
    What would you like to know?

Mike

In strictly running in FA with a PFM, could a paddle shift system be run in the car leagally? I know an FA car you can, not sure if it is allowed on PFM. If you can, has anyone you know Done it. I am curious as to whether a system could be used since it is a sealed ECU and already has flatshift capabilities, but no. Thottle blipper.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by blewbayou View Post
    In strictly running in FA with a PFM, could a paddle shift system be run in the car leagally? I know an FA car you can, not sure if it is allowed on PFM. If you can, has anyone you know Done it. I am curious as to whether a system could be used since it is a sealed ECU and already has flatshift capabilities, but no. Thottle blipper.
    9.1.1.A.3.c allows it, and Table 2 doesn't disallow it, so it should be ok. The paddle shift would be easy to integrate with the ECU for upshift. Downshift you'd need a solenoid to do throttle blipping, if you want that.

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    9.1.1.A.3.c allows it, and Table 2 doesn't disallow it, so it should be ok. The paddle shift would be easy to integrate with the ECU for upshift. Downshift you'd need a solenoid to do throttle blipping, if you want that.

Thank you

Liked: 1

I know Motec has worked on a system for a couple of teams, the car was orginaly designed for paddle shift when I worked at Star Race Cars we tried alot of different ways to make it work and be cost effective but it wasn't cost effective. I know K Hill Motorsports has put a system together for the 016, so its out there, just how much do you want to pay. Are you just using the car for Club Racing only? I can help with the ecu stuff We are a Scca legal engine rebuilder for PFM in club racing. let me know if you need help

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
    I know Motec has worked on a system for a couple of teams, the car was orginaly designed for paddle shift when I worked at Star Race Cars we tried alot of different ways to make it work and be cost effective but it wasn't cost effective. I know K Hill Motorsports has put a system together for the 016, so its out there, just how much do you want to pay. Are you just using the car for Club Racing only? I can help with the ecu stuff We are a Scca legal engine rebuilder for PFM in club racing. let me know if you need help

Mike

Thanks again, jay from stars got back to me and to let me know they are building new cars and the prices etc. I am going to arizona in a couple of weeks and i am going to take a day and vist them, make sure i can fit comfortably in a car and most likely order a new one.

I had a guy message me who worked for stars when they where in Cal. (I think) and gave me some info also. My plan is to run club only events in FA, regionals, occasionally a national. just looking to race again after a 10 year hiatus.

Also found geartronics will work in the car and it will work with the motec, just need to make sure the input for the ignition cut is checked off (i think that is what he said) in the ecu, which stars should do when they build the car. ill know more in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by blewbayou; 10.04.13 at 3:37 PM. Reason: spelling error

Liked: 142

if you're looking to win races, the pro mazda, in it's normal spec isn't competitive with a proper FA. so you'll be spending a pile of coin on a brand new car that on a good day will be back of the pack. That said they are cool cars and you'll fit for sure, they have tons of room in them AND they shoot huge fireballs out the exhaust when you shift!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    if you're looking to win races, the pro mazda, in it's normal spec isn't competitive with a proper FA. so you'll be spending a pile of coin on a brand new car that on a good day will be back of the pack. That said they are cool cars and you'll fit for sure, they have tons of room in them AND they shoot huge fireballs out the exhaust when you shift!

Thanks, every tells me that, not looking to win, run up front, them days are over lol. just looking to have fun and get back into racing with a new car that has good parts availability. Tired of buying used racecars and really not knowing what i am buying (findiing out later they have been wrecked, rebuilt etc.) With tub chassis, i am sure it would be hard to dect tub repairs unless they were stripped down.

Anyway, talked to John Bauer at SCCA to find out legallity of paddle shifters on PFM in FA and he told me that spec line cars from other series follow their respective series rules, not the rules in FA, which has got to be a nightmare for tech inspectors.

John
    Last edited by blewbayou; 10.04.13 at 7:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by blewbayou View Post
    Anyway, talked to John Bauer at SCCA to find out legallity of paddle shifters on PFM in FA and he told me that spec line cars from other series follow their respective series rules, not the rules in FA, which has got to be a nightmare for tech inspectors.
    mmm, not sure about that since there are definitely paddle shifter 016's out there

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    mmm, not sure about that since there are definitely paddle shifter 016's out there

Right, Swift 016's are actual FA cars so they follow what is written in the GCR, The PFM, FF2000, F3 Dallara (defunct US F3 series) etc. are spec line cars, they follow their respective series rules, not FA rules as far as the cars go. Not one of the spec line cars listed in table 2 is competitive with an actual FA. I said to him it must be a nightmare for tech inspectors to have to know not only SCCA rules but other series rules as well and he said it can be challenging. But after thinking about it, since spec line cars are not competitive, who would challenge them unless they were competitive.

I believe spec line cars where allowed to race in FA only as a filler and not to be competitive with actual FA cars in the hopes to boost entries and give them a place to run after they are sold by pro teams, my opinion.

The only real place to race PFM would be FS if i wanted do something different than the PFM series rules with the car (paddle shifter etc.)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 32

Default Paddle Shift

The Systems that are being used on all current paddle shift 014 and 016 FA's were engineered and designed by Swan Racing in conjunction with Shiftec Ltd.
    Shiftec Paddle Shift Kits also can be fitted to a number of different cars. The basic components will remain the same. Updates may be required to the Paddle Shift Wiring Harness to allow communication with the ECU via the CAN Link. But, not difficult to change. The basic components will run you around $8500, the differences will be in brackets and other installation components needed for a different application, and can cost more for their initial design and production, if you make them yourself, or have them made. Swan Racing is the distributor for Shiftec in the U.S.
    Not sure if that helps for what you're looking to do??
    Call if you need more specific info.

Mirl
    Swan Racing
    816-853-0145

Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by MirlSwan View Post
    The Systems that are being used on all current paddle shift 014 and 016 FA's were engineered and designed by Swan Racing in conjunction with Shiftec Ltd.
    Shiftec Paddle Shift Kits also can be fitted to a number of different cars. The basic components will remain the same. Updates may be required to the Paddle Shift Wiring Harness to allow communication with the ECU via the CAN Link. But, not difficult to change. The basic components will run you around $8500, the differences will be in brackets and other installation components needed for a different application, and can cost more for their initial design and production, if you make them yourself, or have them made. Swan Racing is the distributor for Shiftec in the U.S.
    Not sure if that helps for what you're looking to do??
    Call if you need more specific info.

Mirl
    Swan Racing
    816-853-0145
    Hey Mirl,

Just curious.....can the 016 legally run the Shiftec system in FA ? Unlike the 014, Rt41, etc, I thought it had to comply with the very strict line spec for the oem 016.....except for adding the SIR system.

Regards,
    Bill

Liked: 42

Default Motec

We are using a MoTeC paddle shift in one of our PFMs.

Moses

Thread Information