Liked: 0

Default 1973 lotus europa daytona

Hello,

this seems to be a great group of people .

I am new to this website and I am excited to be part of it.

Here is my story: I am in the process of restoring an interesting Lotus Europa race car that ran in Daytona in 1997 and 1978. It is a big puzzle but with great help from some Lotus experts I am getting closer to building this car back to its original spec except the required safety items that are required today. I am very excited about this project and hope to get more into racing in the near future. I just purchased a Ford Cosworth BDD engine that the car was originally equipped with, and have finished most of the suspension bits.

I am currently looking for the following items to complete the next steps and I am hoping that I will be able to find some leads through this group:

Hewland FT 200 gearbox w/lim slip and Ford motor bellhousing adapter

Joengbloed 3-piece wheels 9"by 13", 10"by 13"

I would appreciate any help with this.

Thank you very much

Christof

Liked: 30

Default 73 Europa

How about some pictures?

Ian
    San Clemente, CA

Liked: 107

Awesome and yes pics! you will be able to find those parts in due time...

have you hit up the golden gate lotus club? Kiyoshi should be able to help point you in right directions on details and bits.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Daytona View Post
    HelloI am in the process of restoring an interesting Lotus Europa race car that ran in Daytona in 1997 and 1978.
    Very cool project, Christof, you'll find lots of love here.

Was 1997 one of those years between IMSA and Grand Am when there were a bunch of one-offs, SCCA GT-1s and other cars at the 24 that would never be invited these days?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 123

I think 1997 was a typo. There was a Lotus Europa entered by Ralph Toleman in 1977 and by Emiliano Rodriguez in 1978. 1997 was the R&S MKIII era. Mind you, the Porche's all still looked the same...

Brian

Liked: 2

Default Lotus

For the Adaptor, Lee Chapman in Ct can supply new. As for a FT200 well...thats going to be tough (unless you buy new). expect to spend 10-15k for a used one. it's 20+ last time I checked

For a chevron Project, I trolled the uk dealer web sites and found enough parts to build up a box.

Wishing you the Best.
    Tony

oops, this was my bad. It is the Rodriguez car which entered the races in 77 and 79.
    Good catch and thanks for the great welcome!

Christof

here some pictures and a bit of history so far.

Christof

Liked: 106

I like it! I have a BDD in my 'street' Europa (although it hasn't actually hit the street yet). I've rebuilt essentially every part of the car myself (short of paint and some interior). There is a lotus europa Yahoo group that is fantastic with some really really knowledgable individuals. Check it out if you're not already there.

Curious what your car has for rear suspension? I haven't 'finished' mine yet, and I'm already plotting more upgrades.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Liked: 123

You could probably run a BDD through a MK 9 with Mk 5 gears if you were careful. You could buy about 5 of those for the price of an FT200...

Brian

Liked: 146

Second on the Yahoo Lotus Europa mailing list. You will find all that is needed to be knowed there.

Also, there is a Lotus Europa Knowledge data base that you can access through that mailing list that can help.

If your car is a genuine racing version, it will be a Type 47, and will have different rear suspension to the road going version.

Richard Mann in Melbourne, Australia - is currently doing up two Type 47's. He could point you in direction of possible bits.

One question - why do so many Formula Ford drivers, also have Lotus Europas? There are at least four of us here in Sydney.

I did not expect that there are so many Europa Race Versions out there. My car is a JPS that was build specifically for the Daytona events. I will keep the car in its original form and livery which I think is quite unique. I haven't seen one out there that came with such rear fender flares!? Trying to keep it original mandates that I will have to find a FT 200 gearbox.

Christof

Liked: 146

Christof,

What's the cars serial number? You can get a some original build detail from the Lotus registry.

Grahame Burton

Liked: 947

Default Lotus Archivist

Inquiries of this nature should be made by mail to Andy Graham, Lotus Archives, together with a copy of the registration document or other proof of ownership. No payment is necessary.

The detail available on models this early will be very sparse, but gladly provided.

Write to the Group Lotus archivist at this address :

Andy Graham
    Lotus Archives (Longwater)
    Lotus Cars Ltd.
    Potash Lane
    Hethel
    Norwich, Norfolk
    NR14 8EZ
    England

agraham@lotuscars.co.uk

Phone number: (01603) 732178
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information