Liked: 27

Default Showing the FST class in Colorado.

Went spent Saturday morning showing our Evolution and Jacer to a group of 20 parents and kids that race Karts along the front range of Colorado. Super knowledgeable group and real refreshing to see so many young people that have the passion for road racing. Gives a guy hope for the future of our sport. Worked great having the new car and then the converted car to show the differences and explain how to convert an FV. Also found out a lot of the Karters were spending $350.00 a race weekend on tires. Thanks to the FST founders for making our class easy to sell when comparing costs to other classes and forms of racing.
    Last edited by rave motorsports; 07.17.14 at 4:02 PM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Well done !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by rave motorsports View Post
    Went spent Saturday morning showing our Evolution and Jacer to a group of 20 parents and kids that race Karts along the front range of Colorado. Super knowledgeable group and real refreshing to see so many young people that have the passion for road racing. Gives a guy hope for the future of our sport. Worked great having the new car and then the converted car to show the differences and explain how to convert an FV. Also found out a lot of the Karters were spending $350.00 a race weekend on tires. Thanks to the FST founders for making our class easy to sell when comparing costs to other classes and forms of racing.
    Nicely done. I think we need more ambassadors for the sport. I'm going to meet some high schoolers in a couple weeks who are building an electric "super car" (wish they had that class at my high school).
    There's definitely potential at the kart tracks. I originally switched to FV because of the ridiculous cost of karting and, to me, FST seems even more appealing to the younger crowd since it looks more like a racecar.

Liked: 8

Default Thinking about FST

Tell you what, I'd really like some input. Planning on putting two of my sons into Cars next year (2014). I saw this thread and its reference to the Colorado kart scene, I was bummed to hear that there were some FST's out here and I wasn't able to see them!
    Oh well, we(my son's and I) have just recently stopped karting, spent the better part of the last 8 years in shifter karts, 80's then 125's, spent the last 4 years doing SKUSA Racing, $350 for a weekend per kart is cheap, relatively to what you can spend for a SKUSA weekend.
    Anyway the point of my post is, I'm seriously considering FST or FV, I like the idea of FST but will there be anyone to race with out in CO? I really don't have problem with being the only two FST's out here, I assume they combine them with the small bore cars, I plan on doing some traveling so either class would work for that.
    So if you were going to invest in two cars and then travel and race locally from a cost stand point what are some thoughts?
    I like the idea of FST newer technology (disc brakes, tires, more spares for motors etc.) but obviously Vees have bigger fields, but the cost and ease of maintenance etc. make s me think FST better but I wonder about the future of class.

So anyway thanks hope you guys can help with my decision making process andI look forward to getting some cars on the track soon.

Christopher Wogrin

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

FST.... seems the future class... IMHO
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 1

Default PM sent

Christopher,

Sent you a PM.

Phillip Holcomb
    Longmont Co.

Default FST

Christopher
    I realize its a tough decision and one to not take lightly. I would like to invite you or anyone else who is interested in checking out FST down to the track at Pueblo Co. On October 19 & 20 to see out two FST's first hand.
    Also, Rocky Entrikon has already combined the assigned numbers for the three divisions that will become one region next year at Midiv.org. Check it out to get a good idea of car counts this year. I do know Chuck Singletary is waiting on his homolgimation papers to put his FST on track yet this year and hoping he races at Gateway with us yet this year.

Liked: 247

Christopher,

It's a tough decision as FST has the technology but FV has higher car counts and more competition. If I were you I'd start out with FV and then if FST does take off then you can convert.

There are a lot of great deals for competitive FV's right now. Pick up a FV, get your national license and start running SCCA Majors, that's where you'll find all the competition in your region.

Default Date for Pueblo

My bad, my wife just corrected me ( that's why she is in charge of the schedule ). The Pueblo dates are October 12 & 13. Hope to see all who are interested there. I also may have the Jacer available to be driven on one or both days. Let me know if you are interested.

Default Conversion costs

For an accurate itemized list of conversion parts and costs check out the Formula First Drivers Assoc. website. Formula-first.org

Liked: 2

As Bill mentioned above he will be racing over the Oct 12-13 weekend in Pueblo, CO. We invite any and all those interested here in the CO, NM, WY, etc, etc area to come check it out. We are also planning to get our Denver area group together for a meeting possibly that Sunday in the late afternoon? We would like to follow up with those who have been interested in developing this class in our area and specifically to try and accomodate younger drivers who are coming out of the youth classes in Karting, etc. We'll be discussing and brainstorming everybodies thoughts, likes, challenges and so forth based on the research that has been done so far.

We have also been putting together an email list so that we can communicate with anyone wanting to be kept in the loop about this class so if you would like to be added to that list please forward your information to me at either swhannum@msn.com or call me at 303-888-8162.

Thanks and thanks to Bill for bringing his cars up here to Denver and for really getting behind the promotion of this class.

Default FST at Pueblo for first time - race grouping

Well we are heading to Pueblo Colorado for the first running of an FST in the Rocky Moutain Division this weekend. Here's the race grouping believe it or not - 1 CFC, 7 CF, 1 DSR, 1 F1000, 3 FC, 2 FE, 2 FF, 1 FV and me the only FST. Wow, is it just me or does that sound like a recipe for disaster.

Liked: 190

Bill,

Sure sounds like an interesting mix of classes

I'll bet you will get a fair amount of curious onlookers. New car, new class (first in RM).

Take plenty of pics as you only get one madden voyage
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Default People coming to view

Bill- I already have several coming down from Denver to spend the day with us. The interest out there has been exceptional. I'm only planning on racing the Evolution but am running the Jacer for a day of school on Friday. I'm confident we have solved the oiling issues. We test at a solo 2 yesterday and all indicators are that it's solved. We will know for sure on Friday.

Liked: 61

Default Pueblo groups

No worries. You'll do just fine. I'm one of the FF. We have a pretty friendly bunch here.

Eight on track sessions in two days; four races. So, we decided to do the test day Friday too.

Going to be a long winter. Hi 70's next week, 15% humidity.

Bob Melvin

Default Sounds good Bob

Sounds good Bob. I've heard excellent things about everyone in the Rocky Mountain Division. I'm really excited about running out there that's one reason that I have also signed up for Judy Faass's school on Thursday and Friday. We plan on running out there next year. Can't wait to run up at High Plains also.

Liked: 6

Default Good luck Bill

Have a great time, wish I could be there. I got the frame back from powder coat today. Starting final assembly. I think we still stand a chance to make Gateway. If something happens we don't make Gateway there is a Double Regional at TWS the first weekend of November. I have ran there at least 10 times so it would be a good test race plus a lot of my Vee friends would be there for support. Like we have said before enjoy the Track Record you will set.

Chuck

Looking forward to seeing the cars and watching them run, looks like I will only be able to attend on Saturday. Safe travels, really looking forward to it!

Default Grabbing track records

Chuck
    I got the email on the Texas race sounds interesting. We might need to go down and at least battle for the track record. We better go for it before all the young bucks get into FST and steal it. LOL

Default FST in Pueblo

Well the two day school is done here in Pueblo. First time an FST has run on this track. My best lap time was a 1:57. Not sure how that compares with anything. We have done nothing but fight Gremlins on the FST. Started two days before we left and hasn't quit. Included a carb that got progressively awful on day 1 till we had to replace it. Oil temp gauge that just never worked and worse of all the bottom bar in the lower beam will not get tight. Goes fine then kicks out and causes massive negative camber - one new tire totall thrashed. Guess for a new car it seems like it's been massive issues - no substitute for assembling your own car.

Liked: 6

Default New car bugs

Bill,

Sorry you are having some issues, but the new car blues sometimes rear their ugly head. Hopefully Gateway will go smooth for me and we can help you with yours. Good luck for the rest of the weekend. To you have the torsion bars or the sway bar in the lower?

Liked: 151

Default Gremlins

Bill

Taking a real chance here not be able to see things but at least here are a few things you can check.

Carb issue. Jared Smith had terrible carb issues at the ARRC a few years ago. We require the push in brass inlet to be replaced with a screw-in inlet. Some of these screw-in inlets had barbs (better they had bulges) to seal the hose. The hose often got pulled off and on which meant the small amounts of rubber bits got into the needle and seat when the hose was replaced. This was the issue Jared had and it might be worth checking the needle and seat.

Sway bar. Bob Stack had this exact issue his second race at Nelson ledges. The fix was to clamp the sway bar and drill the grub screw hole deeper. This should solve this issue.
    However:
    -Use a HD washer at the stud end of the sway bar. Hardware store junk just bends
    -I have seen the tapered part of Brazilian grub screws fall off. I always use NOS grub screws

Sorry about the issues but they are solvable.

R

Liked: 0

Bill, it was great to meet you yesterday. Good luck with the rest of the weekend. Hope your gremlins don't slow you down. See you at gateway next weekend.

Mark Adams

Default Guess some weekends are more about experience

It's was great to meet you Mark. Hopefully we can provide a better FST experience for you next weekend in St Louis. All in all it was a beneficial weekend because we learned so much and met some terrific people. The interest in FST was overwhelming. I can see this class putting up some substantial car counts out here as early as next year.
    Robert, I know all the problems are fixable and I guess my frustrations we mostly because I hoped to represent our class better then it turned out. We will represent much better in St Louis. When the Evolution performed it was excellent. My fastest time on Friday was equal to Club Ford times today so I was happy with that. Now if the drivers was as fast as the car!!!!!

Liked: 12

Quote Originally Posted by iskifly View Post
    Tell you what, I'd really like some input. Planning on putting two of my sons into Cars next year (2014). I saw this thread and its reference to the Colorado kart scene, I was bummed to hear that there were some FST's out here and I wasn't able to see them!
    Oh well, we(my son's and I) have just recently stopped karting, spent the better part of the last 8 years in shifter karts, 80's then 125's, spent the last 4 years doing SKUSA Racing, $350 for a weekend per kart is cheap, relatively to what you can spend for a SKUSA weekend.
    Anyway the point of my post is, I'm seriously considering FST or FV, I like the idea of FST but will there be anyone to race with out in CO? I really don't have problem with being the only two FST's out here, I assume they combine them with the small bore cars, I plan on doing some traveling so either class would work for that.
    So if you were going to invest in two cars and then travel and race locally from a cost stand point what are some thoughts?
    I like the idea of FST newer technology (disc brakes, tires, more spares for motors etc.) but obviously Vees have bigger fields, but the cost and ease of maintenance etc. make s me think FST better but I wonder about the future of class.

So anyway thanks hope you guys can help with my decision making process andI look forward to getting some cars on the track soon.

Christopher Wogrin
    Hey Chris,

If you guys are getting out of your karts and into a program where the family can keep racing together, the FST is an awesome program. You know that I understand the economics of karting, but I'm also fluent in the different open wheel categories. I think the FST is an incredible package that makes for a fun transition into cars. I've raced one myself on numerous occasions, and if my karting/Road to Indy schedule allowed it, I'd be racing with the boys in here in the East. The car is fun to drive, has the power and braking you want, and the costs are low and controlled. Bill and the whole FST gang have built a fantastic platform that I expect will continue to grow.

If you go get a couple FSTs, at least send me a couple pics. ;-)
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Default FST in Colorado

Rob
    We all will be racing FST in Colorado. The parents group have done a super job quite honestly achieving what I thought impossible with getting a sanctioning body to accept their program.
    The 2005 Jacer we have will be going to Colorado soon for one of the young racers. Right now our initial schedule for 2014 includes races in Denver, Hallett, Motorsports Ranch & Gateway.
    And it sounds like maybe a couple of dates at Road America and Mid-Ohio. The FST class is growing and strong.

Rob and Bill, we are really excited about the possibilities in 2014 in CO, right now I have a formula Ford project in the garage and I'm planning on acquiring a FST as soon as I can. I have to agree with you Rob, racing has been one of the best things we have done as a family. I look forward to weekends spending time with my sons. We enjoyed karting immensely and see this as a natural progression. FST I think will be a class that grows and thrives and the support and effort of some of the parents here frankly is impressive.
    Bill look forward to seeing you at the tracks and thank you for your time with my son in Pueblo,
    Can't warm up soon enough for me!
    Chris

Liked: 12

Quote Originally Posted by iskifly View Post
    Rob and Bill, we are really excited about the possibilities in 2014 in CO, right now I have a formula Ford project in the garage and I'm planning on acquiring a FST as soon as I can. I have to agree with you Rob, racing has been one of the best things we have done as a family. I look forward to weekends spending time with my sons. We enjoyed karting immensely and see this as a natural progression. FST I think will be a class that grows and thrives and the support and effort of some of the parents here frankly is impressive.
    Bill look forward to seeing you at the tracks and thank you for your time with my son in Pueblo,
    Can't warm up soon enough for me!
    Chris
    Very cool, Chris. Enjoy!!!
    Take care,

Rob Howden
    519-223-1152

Default 2 cars arrive in Denver area

Well the first two Formula First have found their home in The Denver area. I will let the new owner announce it for himself but this program is going to grow quickly. Gonna be fun to watch. That now gives us 6 cars in the Mountain/Midwest region. If you have been setting on the sidelines waiting to see what happens with car counts rest assured we are a serious program starting in 2014.

It's true, we have 2 cars out of AZ they were built by Terry Murray. One is complete race ready and the other is 85% complete needs wiring and a little plumbing. As soon as I can upload some pics I will post them. We (my boys and I) have raced karts for the last ten years and had a lot of fun and will miss it but it is time to turn the page and continue our journey in a new adventure. We have a lot to learn and are looking forward to many weekends together having a ball at the race tracks around our region.

Jay, AJ, Mario, Tammy
    JakeBoyz Racing

Liked: 190

Default Welcome to FST

Jay, AJ, Mario and Tammy,

Welcome to the fold. Great to see the FST interest and growth out in Colorado. When you get a chance, please let us know the details on the cars so we can update the master list. Looks like a Midwestern FST series will start this year to give you plenty of opportunity to use the new cars.

Welcome and enjoy your new ride(s)

Bill
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Thread Information