Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    The new Firman is a another example of a parachute disguised as a race car.

I suggest that you buy one so that we can win more easily.
    damn it's getting hot in here.....
    "If you're not driving on the edge you're taking up too much space.... "

Liked: 20

All opinions expressed in this thread are expressly those of my father, who must be cranky.

Drag = Bad.

Liked: 3787

This caught my eye this morning:

Jose wrote in another thread: "I agree with Steve about doing homework (it's what some of us should have done before we bought some of our cars)"

Due diligence is important in your buying decision. Look at the aero packages on the dominant cars, then make your own decision.

150 mph streamliners may not be as important a criteria next year at Laguns Seca... just saying.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 02.15.14 at 4:17 PM.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Less is More
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Cure for Crankiness ... Cookies ! Chocolate Chip scientifically proven most effective in combating crankiness. ...
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    This caught my eye this morning:

Jose wrote in another thread: "I agree with Steve about doing homework (it's what some of us should have done before we bought some of our cars)"

Due diligence is important in your buying decision. Look at the aero packages on the dominant cars, then make your own decision.

150 mph streamliners may not be as important a criteria next year at Laguns Seca... just saying.
    Agreed, and I am not cranky. Just mean because they took Coop away from me.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Briiiiiiiiiiiiiii-annnnnnnnnnnnn! Come and get your Pops!

(Funny how all of a sudden he's "YOUR" Pop when he gets cranky!

Respectfully, Your Adopted Half Brother, Twice Removed

Coop

Liked: 0

Cant wait to see the new cars for 2014. Everyone is going to have improvements, including the JDR.

But, if you are referring to the JDR as just a 150mph streamliner, you're in for a big surprise! Take note of its performance right out of the box and my first weekend in the car, at COTA. Or maybe Road Atlanta? Waltkins Glen? I would love to do COTA right now with our setup we came up with and learned during this season. Its quite amazing the difference in setups between JR and I.

As for the tires... Same deal. Make sure you check out lap 8 where I was down over 20 seconds and losing time to leaders. If I had rains on, I think the race would have gotten exciting a lot earlier. It was more than tires... It was the prep of the team, the mechanical grip the JDR delivers, setup, Road America wet experience, my love for rain racing... It was several things including a personal issue that gave me that extra push and speed. (which is also why I haven't been on apexspeed and haven't posted my thanks. I was going to do now but stumbled on this... And now I have to spend time with my girls).
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Anything new regarding the RFR-014, tried contacting firman west, no replies or answer. Nothing on Ralph's site either. Did they decide not to build the new model?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Belling View Post
    James, a lot of aero design time went into the new firman.

The existing car went through a complete 3d scan for reference for Firmans aero design group to exactly know how much the new car aero gains were. and we were able to evaluate where many flaws of design were on the previous car.

Firman is going to be active and full time this coming 2014 year working with factory support drivers and owners to make any necessary changes as needed ( and rapidly ) when real world testing begins soon.

as for the blown diffuser.. You can do a blown diffuser setup going into the diffuser tray ( more pitch sensitive ) or above the tray. we are not working under the diffuser but instead above the diffuser.

ultimately from CFD the tests have shown to be positive and the real world tests will soon conclude this.

Our blown diffuser design will
    a) work to move the wake from the rear wheels outwards where it will cause less disturbance
    b) to re-energise the low pressure air at the very back of the diffuser to create more rear downforce.

again like any manufacturer we are trying new things, and have a good design group behind the firman program..

the car is planned to be at the PRI show this year for anyone to see it in person.

look forward to the 2014 year with many new designs and other manufacturers coming to the F1000 scene.
    No listing of them being at pri this year, over promising?

Liked: 30

Not a word on anything?

No news on the new car, must be busy adding a pen15 shaped nose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	44328  

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Pen 15 nose Nice. and a quadruple complex shape winglet right !?

Update on new car progress :

RFR (Firman) is going through a fairly comprehensive development and testing program of the new car during the course of this 2014 year. This will be done before any main event track debut or release of the new car to potential customers.

Releasing a car premature is not something any builder plans. And new car owners shouldn't be the guinea pigs to sort through teething and fine tuning of a new race car either.

It is a pretty exciting year for FB with all the builders involved !
    All the builders have big updates / new cars - competition is getting tighter and tighter.

see everyone track-side this year !
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 35

Looks good Nicholas...nice work.
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

thanks Scotty,

It is all up to Ralph Firman and his timeline.

It would be nice to see it this year, but ultimately it is ready when it is ready. we all might even have to wait until 2015!

I am looking forward to seeing the Galmer F1000 car.. it looks amazing and to think Al Unser Jr and his son ( A3) are involved and apart of the their new car & test program is awesome !

And not to mention the new Phoenix.. looks amazing as well.

what a cool class this is ! The cars, the builders, the drivers down to the spectators...
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I can say that there has been a huge amount of work already put into the car.

I agreed with Ralph's decision not to rush the car but wait until we have a tried and tested car.

When the car finally hits the track it'll be we'll worth the wait.
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 02.06.14 at 2:50 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information