Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runoffs 2013

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    He does a great job.

My personal choice would be the two guys that they get to call the Barber event every year. They take it about as seriously as they should. I think they are hilarious.
    The "Barber Event" would be ... ?? Indy Car? ALMS? SCCA Regional ??
    Probably Indy car, though I can't recall who that might have been that called that race.

Steve, FV80

Liked: 140

I try not to be too critical about anything I can get for FREE - especially when the video was pretty darn good. However, having Dorsey call the Vee race wouldn't have been any better. I listened to him commentate other races, and he was just guessing half the time. He called the SRF race, and he spent LOTS of time in that car, but appeared clueless about them. Plus, he contradicts himself constantly. I got really irritated with him incessantly asking for a full course caution every time someone spun out. I APPLAUD the safety crew and stewards this year for keeping FCYs to a minimum!

Creamer is a pretty sharp dude. You've just got to wonder if there's any budget at all to produce these things, and, as pointed out before, how many folks did it really reach outside our insular world of SCCA racing?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Creamer did a good job when he's announced at Road Atlanta.

As with many things in life, we get what we pay for.

Most of it is just ignorance. As they pointed out .... they have 800 drivers to cover and pronouce names. Facts are just trivial details. If we know they're wrong, who cares. If we don't, who cares. Dorsey editorialized about the FA rule package despite knowing little about it
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    The "Barber Event" would be ... ?? Indy Car? ALMS? SCCA Regional ??
    Probably Indy car, though I can't recall who that might have been that called that race.

Steve, FV80
    The SCCA regional. the guys who do live tweeting with people in the paddock and try to get people to bring them food.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    As with many things in life, we get what we pay for.
    I really think we get a lot more than we pay for in this case. We have the runoffs live streaming on the internet! Our friends back home can watch us run in real time. I think it's pretty cool. I really appreciate the SCCA doing it for us.

Liked: 302

especially when the video was pretty darn good.
    No kidding. After planning on attending, then work got in the way, then thought I would even miss the broadcast, I'm happy I was able to watch it live. I thought the video was exceptional and the camera placement seems good. In reality you see much more of the race watching speedcast than if you are there. I just don't pay much attention to the announcers discussing Bill Nobles daughter driving those 1300 powered V's...

I watched several races, but I do believe the 2nd place battle in FV was the best of the event.

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    He does a great job.

My personal choice would be the two guys that they get to call the Barber event every year. They take it about as seriously as they should. I think they are hilarious.
    They are great!

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by csatte02 View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWUGCJptAjI

in car from behind the rollover at the start. Luckily Rizer appeared to be okay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-b-4qKoo4

Here is a view from Alex Rizers gopro

Alex,
    I wondered what caused all that. Glad you're OK even though it appeared that you were WONDERING just exactly where you were there for a moment. Looked like you were "being careful", but sometimes it just isn't enough.

See you next year ,
    Steve, FV80

OH ... another reminder to all... No matter WHAT SCCA says, it's MUCH harder to get out of your car with a HANS attached. Practice popping your belts loose and throwing them away from your body (prefereably buckles OUTSIDE the cockpit if possible) BEFORE you try to get up and out...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Wow! I was impressed with how professional the safety crew was.

Very professional.

Looks like John got pushed off to the left into the grass, then came back on the track in front of Alex?

Glad you came out OK. Tough deal to get one turn.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by ARizer View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-b-4qKoo4

Here is a view from Alex Rizers gopro
    First off I'm glad you did not get hurt

But that's pretty rude and not very classy to post someone else's name in your video saying it was caused by them, even it that is the case it's not what you do. From the video it looks like something happened before he came by you as he was sideways the first time you see him in the video.
    Mark Filip

Liked: 174

Mark,

Maybe someone who was behind Alex and the Citation driver can give their account of the accident which may clarify it for everyone. The driver of the Citation can also give his account of the incident as well......

Mark

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by csatte02 View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JWUGCJptAjI

in car from behind the rollover at the start. Luckily Rizer appeared to be okay.
    Mark,

From Satterley's video, it looks like John just dropped his left rear off in the braking area going into one
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

I could be wrong, but it looks to me as though John veers suddenly to the left and into the grass with his left wheels. I also *sorta* see a car on Johns right that *looks* like it moves John to the left. Hard to tell...

It's a lot of cars trying to go through the first turn in the same place.

Regardless I think it's wrong to put a name on a video saying he caused the crash.
    Mark Filip

The being classy part would have been him coming up checking on the other driver after the race. No matter what happens out there on the track no matter how much one driver doesn't like another if you caused an incident to where someone else could not complete a race or possible got hurt it is always respectfull to come up and apologize or check if some one is ok. Another thing to remember is you can't win a race that don't finish and on that dive bomb that was attempted where was he going to go? There was no where he was fighting for one place in the first turn that was only going to slow the whole group down including himself. It was a move that would have no benefit for anyone.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Hard to tell exactly what caused the white car to make the sudden move to the left, but it didn't really look like a dive bomb.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

It was a racing incident. I'm sure when John sees this thread he'll chime in if he feels necessary. Also, he may have tried to find you Alex.

My understanding is that John was pinched by another car onto the grass just at the braking point and this sent him spinning. I'm pretty sure he wasn't attempting to dive bomb you or anyone.

-A

Default Looks like Petillo was avoiding Rizer

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    I could be wrong, but it looks to me as though John veers suddenly to the left and into the grass with his left wheels. I also *sorta* see a car on Johns right that *looks* like it moves John to the left. Hard to tell...

It's a lot of cars trying to go through the first turn in the same place.
    I watched it over several times and it looks like Petillo was surprised by a much slower Vee (Rizer) going into turn one. He veered suddenly to the left to avoid Rizer. When he did, he dropped a wheel, spun and the rest is a racing incident. I did not see a dive bomb move by Petillo.

That's what the video looks like to me. Replay it several times and take note of where everyone is, then everyone's speed, what's ahead when he veers left, etc. Petillo's speed appeared to be about the same as the other cars around him and Alex did look slower.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Compare Satterley's video at 0:27 to Alex's at 6:57; they are both in roughly the same position relative to that white line on the track and the grass. It appears that the gap to Alex's left wasn't big enough for a car and he only moves over to the right after that. It would make sense if there was another car that moves to the left to try and tuck in behind Alex and that's what caused John to sharply turn left.

Liked: 69

Default Congrats!

I know that this is a little off the current topic, but...........

I also would like to congratulate Mike and Al for driving a perfect race. Everything went as planned. I had a blast hanging out with you both. Maybe at Laguna I can get you a little more pumped up, LOL.

I also would like to congratulate Terran Swanson for hanging in there and moving up so many positions. Very impressive starting 19th and finishing 8th.
    My heart went out to Brian Swanson (Terran's dad) for not being able to finish the race let alone even one lap. Even with all the bad luck you had you were always very positive. (A class act)

Another thing that I was impressed with was watching a few of the Vee drivers come together and help Charlie Turner and Chuck McCormick get their vees back together after the Q-1 crash. That is why I am proud to say I am a Vee driver. The friendships that this race group have created are wonderful to see and be a part of.

I was thrilled to be at the runoffs, even as a spectator and was very impressed by watching the skill level all of the drivers.

I know that I have my work cut out for me as we/I am preparing to actually be racing in the 2014 run offs at Laguna. Already excited.

Looking so forward to seeing you all again in our neck of the woods, (California)
    Kim Madrid
    Laser MK 2.5
    Last edited by Kim291; 09.26.13 at 4:11 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by FV87 View Post
    I watched it over several times and it looks like Petillo was surprised by a much slower Vee (Rizer) going into turn one. He veered suddenly to the left to avoid Rizer. When he did, he dropped a wheel, spun and the rest is a racing incident. I did not see a dive bomb move by Petillo.

That's what the video looks like to me. Replay it several times and take note of where everyone is, then everyone's speed, what's ahead when he veers left, etc. Petillo's speed appeared to be about the same as the other cars around him and Alex did look slower.
    From the comfort of my armchair... I'm wondering why the white #79 car who seems to have a lot of momentum to keep sliding to the right off the track and onto the grass seems to suddenly reverse direction and slide back onto mid track in front of our camera car. Just racing luck?
    Jeremy

Liked: 49

Heh.. This turned out a bit weird. When I read that on the youtube description, I understood it as the flip had been caused by John (it was), but not necessarily that it had been his fault. I think that's fair and maybe we can all interpret it as such and move on

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    From the comfort of my armchair... I'm wondering why the white #79 car who seems to have a lot of momentum to keep sliding to the right off the track and onto the grass seems to suddenly reverse direction and slide back onto mid track in front of our camera car. Just racing luck?
    Jeremy
    Luckily I have a 100m connection and can keep bumping it back over and over to see it. It looks like the spin and momentum that takes him back out. Maybe he tried steering/driving out of it a little at the end.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

My goodness! I'm sorry to say that I've been out of town on a business trip and had not checked into Apexspeed since Sunday/Monday. I did see the video posted at that time. I had to jump on a plane soon after rolling back into town. I was told by some friends that there was discussion here that I needed to check out. I need to come back and read the thread fully. But, let me chime in first.

Anyway, yes, I was coming down the left edge of the track because the traffic pretty much forced me there on the start - right to the edge. The start was pretty crazy. But, all was clear in front of me. Alex was more towards the middle of the track and in a good position for me to have room next to him. As we came close to turn one Alex moved left and in front of me and then hit the binders. I was going to hit him pretty hard if I didn't turn fast. I think the video from earlier this week shows that. With there no longer being enough room next to Alex for me to fit, I dropped two tires off the track. I was trying to keep my car going straight, but that was difficult after making such a quick move. It then rotated and hooked, and you all saw the unfortunate result. I think we were both being careful to get through cleanly, but it was not in the cards.

Alex, I'll PM you later after I deal with a family issue. John

Liked: 16

That's a classy reply John. It is very easy for us to get emotional. Kuddo's to you for keeping a cool head.

I second that. As we all know what may seem red to 1 person the same may seem orange to another.
    Mark Filip

Alex,
    Did you see this picture ?? Something for your wall, I think ...
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...orts/130929949

Steve, FV80

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    They REALLY need to hire Greg Creamer to call the race. There has never been a better, more informed guy. I don't think he's ever raced a vee, but he KNOWS them and most of the players. He does his homework and makes ANY race sound really exciting.

Steve, FV80
    My understanding is the Greg had a prior commitment that could not be broken. SCCA's loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information