Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Lola T-330 Project

Not mine, but I wish I had the nuts to buy it.

Liked: 11

There was a Lola T332 at this years BRIC that sustained similar tub damage on a hit that did not look very big. The front of these cars fold up easily with pedals attached to the bulkhead they are real leg breakers, thus the famous "Lola Limp". No doubt this car will be off to New Zealand.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Lola T-330 Project

Looks 'insanely' fast !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

When I first started at Donnybrook upon my returm from RVN in 1971, Jerry Hansen, Tuck Thomas and Howie Fairbanks were racing F-5000, and mixed with them were FF, FB, and FSV. You spent your life in your mirrors waiting for one of these guys to blow past on the long straight, sucking the paint off your car.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 601

Default F-5000

That was the SCCA regional mix what I took a Chevron B-24 to IRP in the mid-70's. The F-5000 was so big and loud, that a pair of F/Fords who were beating on each other heading onto the back-straight, both split as wide apart from each other as they could, so I could rumble through ! When I looked in my mirrors, there they were back together trying to beat each other up.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Liked: 43

Default Black Stripes...

Mid 1970's at Brainerd, I had some problems on Saturday and had to go out for the Sunday morning shake down session. I was in my Zink formula vee, and Tuck Thomas was out there in his T-332. He caught me under the bridge at turn 9. He wiggled his way around me, caught a lower gear, and laid down 2 gorgeous black stripes into turn 10. Very entertaining!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

I attended the Uncola Nationals from 1974 through '76 — even won a bicycle race at lunch time in '74 (lapped in 5:51, according to my timer Connie Hansen, I was 13). I met Herm and Austin Johnson there, Herm became my friend and sign-pinstriping mentor later.

Anyone remember the semi-truck race between Paul Newman, Bob Tullius, and a couple others? Bob Sharp, maybe?

Damn, those were great days. First trip up dere was for the last Can-Am in '72, the last race as Donnybrooke. Francois was epic.

If you ran the Runoffs in 1975, TPPJ, I did a magazine called Eric's Race Reports about it you would have received. If recalling correctly, the Cen Div attendees were Hogdal, Mockler, Pomeroy, and Satchell, so think I know the answer. Not digging here, just love those days.

Believe it or not, I think I remember Tuck being on track with a Vee... thought it a rules violation.

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Your "it" leads to a missing E-bay page. Any further info?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 1417

Missing, because it was from 2013.

Liked: 43

The trucks were supplied by Advance United, a local delivery company. The participants were Paul Newman, Bob Tullius, and Jerry Hansen.

I never made it to the runoffs, it was pretty hard to do back then. No excuses, however, I just wasn't fast enough. That session with Tuck was one where you needed the chief steward's permission, there was just the one session for open wheelers, so we all got thrown out there together. Really cool...

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks, I can remember that now. Advance sponsored Jerry for a year in A Production, '75 I think.

Newman or Tullius put a big fan (Edit: "can") or something on the roof of the other truck so it made a helluva racket when knocked off first time under the bridge!

Per qualifying on points, boy I remember... and would upgrade your comment to say it was *really* hard to qualify back then. Same in FF, and at least half the other classes. Cen Div was as hard as anywhere and typically won more Runoffs than any other; NE and SP probably the next-most Runoffs wins in most years, SW and MW the least, typically.
    Last edited by E1pix; 12.27.19 at 3:24 PM.

Contributing Member Mike Wright's Avatar
    Liked: 8

I remember the truck races, and the fan knocked off at the bridge. You’re right Eric, “those were the days”! Still have some pewter on my desk from those UNCOLA races.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Good to see you around Mike, then and now. Awesome you remember that. I edited my post to say "can" instead of fan, darned spellcheck!

Glad you kept the hardware, I still have the programs and posters. Speaking of F5000, if memory serves it seems one program used Larry McNeil's Lola T192 on it.

Great memories, Thanks.
    Last edited by E1pix; 12.27.19 at 3:43 PM.

Bob Tullius and the Group 44 cars. Blazingly fast, and you could eat off them.

V/r

Iverson

Thread Information