Thread: Galmer F1000

Liked: 0

Default Galmer F1000

I was looking through the October edition of Racecar Engineering and to my surprise came across this on page 30. According to the article, the car will be ready for the 2014 season.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllick

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Anyone have any more info on the manufacturer? Website ? Contact details for galmer.

Thanks
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Hey Nick, there's this wonderful development in internet search engines called Google... http://www.galmerinc.com/index.htm
    Galmer, as in Rick GALles/Alan MERtens of early-90s CART fame... there's a DSR too.
    aaron

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

The DSR never came to completion, there was talk years ago the Al Mertens was involved - If you look at the specifications it list the Yamaha R1 as the motor of choice and that has not been true since 04 or 05. I have been using Suzuki power since 03.

Makes me wonder if this is the correct site since the FB is not in the projects section.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Makes me wonder if this is the correct site since the FB is not in the projects section.
    I wondered that too and was unable to locate any websites that mentioned the FB. The article includes the line "..its latest racing project - seen here for the first time- is..." which I interpreted as the article is the first announcement for the car. Adding the FB to the page may be the next step in spreading the word.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Information is sketchy but a couple of things I found on the internet:

Mention of someone on the UNSER website working on the Galmer F1000 car:

http://teamunser.com/about/

Also something in on what appears to be a Korean website in regards to Arbitrage GT and the Galmer F1000 car but the links all seem to be dead:

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?b...e=1&listtype=0

Liked: 7

Default Mertens

I ran into Alan Mertens about 10 months ago when he was in the US buying parts for a formula car project that he was building in Thailand. I guess that this is what he was working on.

Default clueless here..................

what is the geo-pol-eco and demographics behind building F1000 cars in Thailand?

Default Galmer G14 F1000

The Galmer G14 F1000 is being manufactured in Albuquerque New Mexico. The prototype space frame Chassis is 95% complete and 2 more chassis are 40% complete.
    Galmer has committed to produce 13 complete rollers. All machined parts for 13 cars are now 80% complete.
    Two aerodynamic configurations of body's and 14 different variations of nose, wing, diffuser and turning vanes are now being CFD analyzed in STAR CCM+ Software. One of the consultants helping with the aero package analysis will be Andy Chilton Chief Aerodynamicist at Force India F1 Team.
    The first chassis will be tested by Al Unser Junior one of the Partners at Galmer Motorsports. Testing is scheduled for late 2013.
    The first 3 cars will be ready for delivery in early 2014. The cars will come with 1 full test day at NAPA Motor Speedway. This will include one on one Professional Coaching with Al Unser Junior and Engineering by Alan Mertens.

The Team at Galmer has taken its time to listen to many of the current FB racers and crew. Galmer understands the current challenges and they have integrated these changes into the design of the G14 to make the car more user friendly.

Galmer will post more information updates on this site and be sure to watch the Galmer web site for updates. You will find Galmer both on Facebook and Twitter.

www.galmerinc.com

facebook.com/galmermotorsports

Liked: 7

Default Met Alan at COTA in March

Alan and a Galmer colleague, whose name escapes, were there to suss out the F1000 market potential. As checking out the FBs was one of the reasons I had gotten up there to crew for Mike Sauce' FFs, I was very encouraged by what Alan might have on offer. Alas, no model pic's were shown to me.

Based on our short conversation, it was my understanding that Rick Galles was not involved with Alan's current enterprise. A Galles-led capital call hadn't been met by Mertens, which led to the previous Galmer (Engineering?) assets being sold off. The Phoenix Race Werks F1K became one result of said dissolution, with much help from Matt Conrad/Dustin Wright of course. Alan has retained the rights to the Galmer name.

Biz Card:
    Galmer
    Indianapolis 500
    Winning Constructor
    Alan F. Mertens
    CEO/President

1 Katherine Ct.
    Placitas, N.M. 87043
    Office: 505-771-1289
    Cell: 505-301-2634
    www.galmerinc.com
    alan@galmerinc.com

Hope this proves helpful to any interested parties,

Rick Kean
    Houston
    Last edited by Rick Kean; 09.11.13 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Dustin, not Justin

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default Galmer DSR

I remember the original Galmer DSR. Designed by Mertens and endorsed by Unser Jr. Showed up at the MidOhio RunOffs with Beasley driving. They couldn't make it fast no matter what they did. Ride heights varied from scraping to towering. Rake and wing angles varied constantly. Car later became the Maloy but still retained the design that required the engine to be removed from the bottom of the chassis. More chassis bay tubes than a Birdcage Maserati.
    Good luck to them.
    Marty

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default Merloy not Galmer DSR

My memory has been refreshed for me. It was originally a Merloy and later became the Maloy. Mertens was involved in the design of the Merloy but may not have been around when it debuted at MidOhio.
    Marty

Liked: 4

Default ...can you say COPY of the new Phoenix?

change the nose a little (and a couple of other small changes), and anyone could be excused if they thought they were looking at the new Phoenix F1000 car

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yeah, saw that Phoenix twin...

I was at the Mid O RO's that year that Al Beasley Jr was driving the Merloy ('04?), and helped him change the engine, and sure enough - it came out the bottom.
    His Little bro Ben and I had roadraced bikes together in the mid 80's. Good times!

Liked: 273

Default Since this did come up

My reaction also.....but the Phoenix is way better looking.

A few of my favorite pics taken just before we left for Miller last month.
    Last edited by ghickman; 10.05.15 at 12:48 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Galmer F1000

That's one sweet ride. Looks fast just sitting still !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 4

Default which one?

which one looks better? the Phoenix or the 'not so pretty one'??

Quote Originally Posted by dwornik View Post
    which one looks better? the Phoenix or the 'not so pretty one'??
    the butterscotch yellow looks cool

Default Road america

I will be at Road America if you have any question or would like to talk about the NEW G14 please give me a call and we can schedule a time .

602 315 3780
    Cal Herdson

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default progress

I had received pictures of progress on this car. Hope he will soon post those pictures here.

Thread Information