Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 1

Pru - thanks for posting. Nick makes it look effortless (I know it wasn't). I think I hate him

Liked: 309

Default Watch the hands...

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Pru - thanks for posting. Nick makes it look effortless (I know it wasn't). I think I hate him
    Doug,

Watch Nick's hand movements (especially on the East course); it's anything but effortless! He takes the car to the edge of spinning and catches it throughout his runs. From the outside of the car it looks smooth, but he's working very hard to keep the car at the absolute limit at every point on the course.

As they say, "don't hate the player, hate the game"...

Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Doug,

Watch Nick's hand movements (especially on the East course); it's anything but effortless! He takes the car to the edge of spinning and catches it throughout his runs. From the outside of the car it looks smooth, but he's working very hard to keep the car at the absolute limit at every point on the course.

As they say, "don't hate the player, hate the game"...

Take care,
    Yes I know and hence my statement in parenthesis. And of course I don't hate Nick, just a joke.

What amazes me about his driving (and others as well) is how easy they make it "look". Smooth turn-ins and easy catches. Nick the course and the car became one. Especially on the East course. You can see him synthesizing what his eyes tell him with what the car tells him and make the necessary corrections to both steering and throttle to keep it all together.

As a counterpoint if you were to watch a video of me in the car...which I would post but the gopro locked on day one and captured no data on day two (grrrr) I look very, very busy. It is this contrast that makes me say "Nick makes it look easy". He is soooo ahead of the game, while I am soooo behind. The difference might be summed up (for me) as Nick's hands look fast yet smooth, mine look panicked. Hence my reference to "looks easy".

Nick is not alone in this ability of course. Daddio, Strano, Mike Maier, Heitkotter, Brandon etc etc all exhibit this same "way ahead of the game fluidity". I find it very impressive and hope someday to do one corner that well!

Doug

P.S. - Frankly much of the CM grid exhibits this kind of ability. Those who say the CM index is too easy may not have a good view of the depth of talent here.

P.P.S. - when i get some proper video I'll start a "fast hands vs panicked hands" thread. Then you all can help/critique me.

Liked: 9

I can see that I was late getting on the gas coming out of almost every turn. Easy to fix, right? The whole drive was just Fu***ng fast from my perspective
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Yes FFast indeed. Maybe that is what FF stands for!

Liked: 10

WOW! Thanks!

Dick

Liked: 20

http://www.sccaforums.com/Portals/0/...FinalIndex.pdf

44th overall, top 4%, didn't trophy

Liked: 9

You guys are just too fast. Our PAX is going to go up again
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 3

PAX? Don't care too much...I've been on all sides of the too soft/too hard spectrum (even back and forth and back in a 3 year period in FS...too soft, too hard, too soft LOL), so I just look at it as a benchracing lottery.

But, if we're going to play that game, yeah, CM is due a pretty good bump. It is too soft, currently...so, I'm sure that will be addressed for 2014.

Congrats to Nick for a great drive and impressive win

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Don Elzinga solved the battery problem by coming to grid with a 1000w generator and a wired tool! Now that's "an expensive solution" but it worked well!
    I already had the generator (for running the heat gun + putty knife I've used in the past, plus charging the batteries between days), the cordless the $30 specials seem to die after one or two events, and a good cordless oscillating multi-tool was way more than the corded type. So it seemed like the cheapest option that would work. Important tip is to dull the scraper blade, a lot, before using it on a tire. Othewise it doesn't distinguish between OPR and new tread rubber. =8-0 Also tried the saw blade, which worked and didn't hurt the tire, but it was slower and tended to gum up.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Elzinga View Post
    I already had the generator (for running the heat gun + putty knife I've used in the past, plus charging the batteries between days), the cordless the $30 specials seem to die after one or two events, and a good cordless oscillating multi-tool was way more than the corded type. So it seemed like the cheapest option that would work. Important tip is to dull the scraper blade, a lot, before using it on a tire. Othewise it doesn't distinguish between OPR and new tread rubber. =8-0 Also tried the saw blade, which worked and didn't hurt the tire, but it was slower and tended to gum up.
    Don
    Is Lincoln the only "Midwest" concrete or asphalt site with significant OPR?

Thanks!

Dick

Liked: 235

That question can be answered by finding out if other sites use the same type of seam sealer.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    Is Lincoln the only "Midwest" concrete or asphalt site with significant OPR?

Thanks!

Dick
    I've heard Salina was even worse, but that was before I started going to Nationals. I'm not complaining, much. I suspect that the sealer is a part of the reason that Lincoln is in better shape than, say, Grissom.

Don

I've heard Salina was even worse, but that was before I started going to Nationals. I'm not complaining, much. I suspect that the sealer is a part of the reason that Lincoln is in better shape than, say, Grissom.

Don
    You mean "Salina Snakes"? My first Nats in CM (1993) and my only Nats in ASP (1986) were in Salina. I really don't remember the details after 20 years . . .

Dick

Liked: 102

Don
    Here is Jeff Kiesel's method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2x...ature=youtu.be

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information