Liked: 757

Default F500 - F600 chassis construction

Can someone explain why the chassis construction regs are slightly different between F500 and F600?

F500-
    The monocoque-type chassis is permitted but shall have reinforcement plates at all points of attachment for axles, engine, drive components, roll cage, and driver restraint system.

F600-
    The frame/chassis assembly shall be constructed of steel tubing, and shall be of a safe and suitable design.

Thanks!

Liked: 4

I'm pretty sure it's a logistical error - the intentions for F600 is to share a chassis ruleset, making it so F500 -> F600 (and vice versa) conversions are as cheap and easy as possible. While actually discussing the real world costs and efforts involved in the drivetrain swap will start a riot - I think it's pretty universal that the goal is to make F600 cars as similar to F500 as possible, with the drivetrain being the only difference.

I would hope that if/when the classes were merged that they would standardize on a single chassis construction ruleset. I would actually prefer if they went with the F600 wording, as I don't believe it will be a "takeback" for any F500 chassis out there, and would prevent someone from bringing in an overdog with a carbon monocoque (it may/may not be advantageous to have one, but if it was a clear advantage it would destroy the class if they came in).

Liked: 757

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking - that it was an oversight. I'm thinking more along the lines of a paneled tube frame rather than a carbon tub!

Liked: 159

Default is that a change?

I could have sworn f500 required tube frames....but panels could be riveted on the frame....but I haven't looked at the rules for a couple years....been a little busy with the f1000.

Jerry

Liked: 896

Tube frames are not required. There has been only one monocoque F500 made to my knowledge and there was just one made.

Our new Blade is a tube frame to keep costs down.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thread Information