Liked: 43

Default Mid Ohio Race 3 Start (crash) 2013

If anyone is interested in seeing what that debacle looked like from toward the back of the field, look no further. I couldn't see the wreck unfolding. Michael Johnson in front of me could. He got on the brakes and I had no idea there was a problem. I couldn't react quickly enough - I tried to yank the car out to driver's left but I couldn't make it out from behind him quickly enough. I checked with Michael's crew afterwards to see if he was ok and they told me he was, but someone else told me he was taken to the hospital later, hopefully just as precautionary measures. He is paralyzed from the chest down so hopefully it was just to make sure that everything was ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZa-RKwaxA
    Last edited by SMRacing; 08.05.13 at 12:38 PM.
    Washed up never-was

Liked: 9

One 'avoidable contact'. Eleven cars destroyed. Trying to stay calm.

Liked: 48

Default I was wondering ....

I saw that 11 cars all got in some sort of dust up but didn’t hear what happened, this some of the story ... anyone know the rest of it .. looks like Neil A was scored LAST and started on the front row .. ??
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Liked: 111

That sucks. I have seen some interesting screen captures from this further up. Cars nose to nose in a still shot look very odd. Cars in the air, everywhere.

That sucks. He checked up very quickly there. Not much time to react, unfortunately. Between F2kcs at Watkins Glen and that crash, VD has to be working overtime.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I see the starter waving a whole bunch of yellow flags - is that in reaction to the crash up front, or was there some sort of wave off?

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

It wasn't a wave off from what I read. Mid Ohio starts a lot series events on the back straight which I have always found the starters stand hard to see when the green is shown.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Alberico pinched Portante and spun himself... does this link work, because it's from FB?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    aaron

Liked: 111

Default Mid Ohio Race 3 Start (cash) 2013

That us a hard stand to see and I don't usually have crew to radio that start to me.

Interesting title to this thread. Typo to crash or is it really the cash?

Geeze, that was one tight pack. The two columns of cars were less than a tire width apart. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    I see the starter waving a whole bunch of yellow flags - is that in reaction to the crash up front, or was there some sort of wave off?
    The yellows were in reaction to what was happening. I have no idea if they had come out and Johnson in front of me saw them but I definitely did not. The starter's stand was still so far away, and I had a face full of rear wing.
    Washed up never-was

Geeze, that was one tight pack. The two columns of cars were less than a tire width apart. Crazy.
    Welcome to USF2000 racing. It is ridiculously close, and I mean physically. It's pretty fun but when it goes wrong it goes wrong big.
    Washed up never-was

Days Of Thunder
    Washed up never-was

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by SMRacing View Post
    If anyone is interested in seeing what that debacle looked like from toward the back of the field, look no further. I couldn't see the wreck unfolding. Michael Johnson in front of me could. He got on the brakes and I had no idea there was a problem. I couldn't react quickly enough - I tried to yank the car out to driver's left but I couldn't make it out from behind him quickly enough. I checked with Michael's crew afterwards to see if he was ok and they told me he was, but someone else told me he was taken to the hospital later, hopefully just as precautionary measures. He is paralyzed from the chest down so hopefully it was just to make sure that everything was ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZa-RKwaxA
    Holy cow he completely stopped at a 10 pedal for zero reason, a simple lift and gradual brake would have been perfect. You had no time to do anything but rear end him. wow

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84
    aaron

Liked: 19

So thats what life at the back looks like at one of these deals..... Hmmmmmmph

Isn't the first big one - won't be the last at that kink......

Watched the TV show on NBCSports the other night.......Not a bad take.... Format was a little jumbled to me - but a good "show" none the less.....

Contributing Member

Default Condition of Injured Driver?

The initial post indicates that one of the drivers was taken away by ambulance. Does anyone have an update? Our prayers go out to him.

Thread Information