Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Runoffs!

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

More on Lawrence Loshaks winning FB Class race......

Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin - September 20, 2013 – Lawrence Loshak, of Grafton, Wis., drove from last to first to capture his first Formula 1000 title at the 50th SCCA National Championship Runoffs® at Road America. Lucian Pancea, of Bellevue, Wash., and Brandon Dixon, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., completed the podium.

Loshak was the SafeRacer Formula 1000 polesitter, but was late to the grid. In fact, he was still getting buckled into his No. 2 JDR/ETE REMAN/Moon Super Cycle JDR F1000 Suzuki when the entire FB grid left for the pace lap.

“I don’t even know what to say,” Loshak said explaining being late to the grid. “Our crew has been together for over a decade. I have no idea how we did that. We were driving up to the grid all nice and calm. When I drove up and they told me there was one minute to go, and then 30 seconds they were going to let the field go. I can’t express that feeling, especially when you’re sitting on the pole.”

Loshak was at the back of the field when the race went green. He passed 16 cars and was up to fifth after the first circuit. From there, he consistently turned fast race laps, including setting the Hawk Hot Lap with a 2.29.859 (96.090 mph).

On the final lap, and without any communication from his team, Loshak did not know he was in second coming down the front straight. He passed Pancea for the lead before Turn 1 and held on to capture his first-career Formula 1000 National Championship by 6.391-seconds at an average speed of 91.116 mph.

“I had no idea what position I was in because I got out so late,” Loshak said. “I didn’t have communications. My dash went out with the water. Every time I saw a car, my goal was to catch and pass them. I had no idea what position I was in. I knew I wasn’t slowing down until I saw that black and white thing. Mistakes were not an option. I tried to bring home the best result I possibly could for JDR and my crew."

Great racing LL.......
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Then again maybe it was all part of a plan, after all - winning from the back is much more impressive than just driving off and hiding. Maybe he noticed that everyone else was on full wets and waited until there was just enough time to change to intermediates & get back to the grid. The forgotten helmet & Hans wasn't part of the original plan but made the results even more impressive. Just sayin'!
    The runoffs is the only race of the year that the posted race time is GREEN FLAG time. You ahve to leave time for the pace lap. Lawrence rolled up at 37 after thinking he had 8 minutes. When he came to a a stop they gave him the one minute sign. By the look on his face I will guarantee that it was not a plan!

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Wanted to say congrats to Lawrence Loshak, our very first US Formula 1000 Champion (as well as being SCCA National Champion). It all came right down to the last lap as Lucian Pancea was only 2 points behind Loshak going into the race.

Loshak wins the Hoosier Tire Program Award for 2014, The Neo Sport Camera $1000 cash prize, and the Driver's Trophy.

Sorry, I couldn't be there to attend as illness kept me home. Finally feeling better today. I know the series was well represented by Mike Beauchamp and Nicholas Belling. I hope everyone that took part this year had an enjoyable time.

The series is looking strong for 2014. Several things we are working on including possibly bringing back the Manufacturer's Cup. With 14 active F1000 constructors that should make for an interesting competition next year.

Race reports and season finale information will be posted on the series website as soon as we get a chance to update. See you all next year.
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 09.23.13 at 1:51 PM.

Liked: 702

Here is a breakdown of the prizes awarded:

Hoosier Tires

1st-Lawrence Loshak: 4 tires plus 4 tires at each 2014 US Majors Tour Race
    2nd-Lucian Pancea: 2 tires
    3rd-Brandon Dixon: 1 tire
    Pole position-Lawrence Loshak: 1 tire
    Random tire Draw: 2 tires

Taylor Race Engineering

1st -Lawrence Loshak: $600 certificate
    2nd-Lucian Pancea: $400 certificate
    3rd-Brandon Dixon: $300 certificate
    Taylor Fast Lap Award-Lawrence Loshak : $200 certificate for fastest lap of the week: 2:04.786 (also a track record!)

NEO Sport Cameras

Lawrence Loshak: $1,000 cash
    Random Draw: NEO Sport camera

LS Motorsports

The non-Suzuki prize: $750 to the highest placing non-Suzuki powered car-awarded to Glenn Cooper

Hyperco Springs
    1st-Lawrence Loshak: 2 free hypercoils
    2nd-Lucian Pancea: 2 free hypercoils
    3rd-Brandon Dixon: 1 free hypercoil

Jongbloed Racing Wheels

1st-Lawrence Loshak: $1000 Certificate

Sunoco Hard charger

Cash Payout-Nicho Vardis: $500

Geartronics Shift Systems
    1st-Lawrence Loshak: $1500 voucher(non-stackable) towards a new system
    2nd-Lucian Pancea: $1250 voucher(non-stackable) towards a new system
    3rd-Brandon Dixon: $150 Cash payout
    10th-Jeremy Hill: $750 voucher(non-stackable) towards a new system

Be sure to keep all of these sponsors in mind as you complete your winter maintenance/rebuild! Better yet, send them a thank-you message and encourage them to support Formula 1000 in 2014!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Stoopid! I know Roshak iz fas' but my son Ril Kim fas too!
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 12.15.13 at 10:45 PM.

Default What a great year USF1000 had

Thanks to all for a wonderful year, full of memories to last a lifetime!
    Hats off to series organizers Mike Beauchamp, Nic Belling, and Thomas Copeland.

Thanks aplenty to the series sponsors listed in the above post, and a huge thanks to the drivers who voted with their hard earned dollars, and came out to support such a kick ass series.

Prizes were posted and awarded in a very timely fashion. If you were lucky enough to win some Hoosier tires, it seemed like they showed up the day after you submitted the form.

Next year should be really rippin' now that we've got a year under our belts!

Rock on, Gents!

GC

Liked: 159

Default t shirts

Hey Glen......never would have thought of that.....you do have a way with words.

Now.....what do I have to pay you for permission to use that on some t shirts?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    (Sorry LL, I already copyrighted the following

"The 'shak, from the back!"

Liked: 1868

Part of what makes this class interesting is the number of manufacturers contesting it ( or getting ready to):

Converted VDs
    RFR
    Stohr
    Hickman
    Phoenix
    Citation
    Philadelphia
    JDR
    Speads
    ???? (my apologies to those I've forgotten)

No other class of formula car racing in the US ( and possibly the world), with maybe the exception of FV) can boast this at this time.
    Last edited by R. Pare; 09.26.13 at 11:48 AM.

Default Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    Hey Glen......never would have thought of that.....you do have a way with words.

Now.....what do I have to pay you for permission to use that on some t shirts?

Jerry
    One Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelion Dollars!

A buck three eighty?

Fiddy cent?

OK, OK, I give - It's your's - Have fun!

Contributing Member crowe motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default Rights to Runoffs slogan

Jerry,

Rights to Shack from the Back slogan.

Just give Glen a gift certificate for a new JDR to expire if not ordered by 12/31/13
    $5,000 should do it off MSRP whatever that is
    But if he requests British Racing Green I would up charge him $5,000

Liked: 2

Astra
    Piper
    Ken

Liked: 0

Sorry for the delayed post. A lot going on at home and to catch up here at work.

What a Runoffs!!!

We obviously misjudged the green flag time Vs. the regular way through out the season they give grid times. I didn't forget my gear, the announcers seemed to forget we don't have a passenger seat where to put our gear. I rain-x the helmet and put it in a bag to keep dry and have it the crew to bring up with golf cart like usual. Yeah, I forgot my helmet just like there's some guys running built motors revving to 15K LOL! When I arrived to grid/pole spot, they gave the 1 minute. There simply wasn't enough time. Then when we started the car, it was redlining! Almost took rear cover off but I stabbed the gas several times and whola. Took off after the field. Didn't catch them until 12. On the first lap I was able to pass 16 cars in the wet on intermediates. But then started to fall back on Ott and the lead pack because of how wet it was. I had no choice to just look for grip and to put it all together. By lap 8, I was 25+ seconds back. I had no idea what position I was in because during the rush, we didn't plug in my communications. I just knew, no mistakes and pass who ever until I was told to stop. It was an emotional win for me, I couldn't help but start crying.

What a runoffs... 2 poles, 2 national championships, 2 triple crowns, the USF1000 national championship and rumors of the Mark Donahue award. Still hasn't sunk in, we're sure proud!! I have no idea what I'm doing next year as both cars aren't mine and I was a hired shoe. But I do know FB/F1000 is second to none. What an impressive group of drivers, teams, sponsors and support!!! Its an honor to race with you guys and within the series. I really had a lot of fun and enjoyed the challenge working with JDR and setting up their new car. What a treat to drive.

Its also worth mentioning (especially since I've been hearing rumors Moon Super Cycle engines aren't reliable or something) that the engine we won the runoffs with was the same engine we had in the car since Watkins Glen. So the Glen, The Cat at RA, testing at RA regional, testing at Runoffs and the entire week at Runoffs, was all on the same engine. Also worth mentioning, Moon had 8 cars in the FB field with his engines and no failures, several in DSR including a 2nd place finish. Impressive to say the least.

I'd like to personally thank Jerry Hodges and Don Connor at JDR for asking me to be their driver this year and trusting me to pilot their one and only race car. I struggled at first to find my setup but by the Glen, we really stumbled onto something I felt comfortable with. Then testing at RA during regional we hit it right on the money. What a delight to drive. Proof again, that comfort level is the most important adjustment or upgrade that can be done on the car. With no other changes, hp, gadgets... Just setup, we were able to shave 3 seconds off. Don and Jerry of course need to be thanked for that, as they did an awesome job all season giving me a extremely durable and fast car to drive all season. Its also important to note, we had no failures anywhere on the car all season.

Also special thanks to Mike and Nick for putting on such an awesome series, the USF1000 series.

Thanks to ETE Reman, Hoosier Tire, Taylor, QRS Suspension, AIM, my friends, crew, family and many, many others who helped. We couldn't have done it with out you... Thanks a million.

And last but not least... Thank you to all the teams and drivers... What a pleasure it was meeting all of you and racing with you. Really developed a lot of long lasting friendships (Love you Mayers!!!).
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    (Sorry LL, I already copyrighted the following

"The 'shak, from the back!"

Love it Glen!!!!!

And thank you all for your comments and congrats... It really means a lot to me... Thank you.
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Liked: 896

Congrats Lawrence and the JDR team. That was certainly the most amazing race I have seen in my 60 years of going to the races. What an accomplishment for the entire season.

I knew you guys would be tough but had no idea what tough really is!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information