Liked: 0

Default Data Acquisition?

What are the experiences with data acquisition systems good bad or ugly,?
    I have to replace my tach gauge and may put the money towards a data system instead. I have looked at Traqmate (expensive) and Mychron (not as may bells and whistles). Any Vee specific experience as far as working well?
    My main use will be lap timing, tach and temp but it would be nice to have track mapping capability for comparison to others lines, etc.

Liked: 447

With bells and whistles comes cost... I would say your choices are between Aim and Aim.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Data is probably the best thing you can do for your driving. Bells and whistles cost money, but the basics can really help you out.

Check out www.trailbrake.net for some more info on what you can get, where you can get it, and the featured articles for how to use some of it.

Liked: 839

Russ,
    "Bells and Whistles" in a data system don't really do you much good for LEARNING - they are more for 'watching' things in the engine area.

The bottom line AIM system will do everything you need - basically, MPH, RPM, L/R g's and F/R g's - that will also get you track mapping and quite a few other pieces of info. The AIM software is pretty good - maybe not quite up to CDS standards, but certainly more than adequate to teach you a LOT about your driving. One of the things I like most is, beyond lap times, it will also calculate your best 'rolling lap' (starting at any turn on the track, rather that just where you have the transmitter) and best theoretical lap (takes your best segment times and sums them as if you did your 'best' at each turn on a single lap). The closer I am to theoretical, the better I'm driving up to the potential of the car and me. I also look at top speeds and slowest speeds at the important corners. That's about all the time I have during an event to look at .. it's enough.

There are also a LOT of AIM systems out there and they ALL use the same trackside transmitter, so I often don't have to put out my own TX. WARNING: Since the TX signal is modulated, you cannot put them any closer than about 10 feet apart or they will interfere with each other and you won't get triggers - neither will anyone else. INFO: the TX unit has a HI and a LO setting - it comes set at LO by default. There is a jumper inside, that when closed, puts it into HI and it's good for up to 100 feet .. or more, at that setting. I put a 17AH gelcell (my car spare) on mine and just leave it on for the weekend - no need to 'service it' before Sunday. I also hand a RED TAPE WARNING on my sunvisor - to remind me to pick it up before I leave the track... .. and I have my name, car class/number and my phone number on the unit .. in case I forget, or someone else wants to talk to me about it. I often find 2 or more close together and need to go talk to the owners so we can all get good signals.

There are a few systems that are even cheaper (less expensive) than AIM, but I don't have any experience with them. I can say that it would be quite difficult to beat the AIM system for the money. The GPS systems are only "better" (IMHO) because they don't require a transmitter - I don't think it's worth the extra $$$ to not have to put out a TX 2 times per season (the rest of the time, I trigger off someone else's )
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member

The GPS lets you do more than just not use the transmitter. With the GPS, it allows you to insert a lap marker if it is missed for some reason. It will also let you move start/finish in a lap so you can compare to files that were originally triggered in different spots (if you get data from someone else). You can compare driven line, though I don't do that often. More important, with the GPS you can put other data on the track map. Check out http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...-overlays.html for examples.

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Some of the units that come with a GPS will also provide a real time, anticipated lap time. I find this provides great feedback while being on the track.
    Last edited by Jean-Sebastien Stoezel; 07.16.13 at 9:39 AM.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Liked: 1403

For most purposes GPS is great. But if you want to look at data that has a close relationship to speed, GPS is not good enough. My advice is to have channel available for a speed signal. Most systems will allow you to have more than one speed channel.

Liked: 0

Thank you for the information. When you refer to the base level Aim is that the Mychron 300 Gold or ?

Looking at the AIM website
    http://www.aimsports.com/products/m3...uto/index.html
    it would appear that any of the 3 would do the job to begin with.. however, I'd suggest that the 3Gold would be the least that you would want (due to the sampling rate limit of 10 Hz). Also remember that the dash CANNOT be mounted to the steering wheel since the L/R 'g' sensor is internal.. but it appears to be adequate.

Personally, I chose the XGLog - it has a separate unit for the sensors and provides, I think, 2 more channels of data, although I don't think that is very important. I bought it for the separate mounting location .. and then, I decided to NOT mount mine on the steering wheel anyway .

Be sure to google any device you are considering to get the best price....
    Steve, FV80

BTW - you can download the AIM software and see what it will give you before you buy. I can email you a data file on a REAL (SCCA) racetrack if you'd like (but no Colorado tracks since I've never raced there).

Steve, FV80

Contributing Member

Here's an evo3 setup for a good price listed on apexspeed http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...highlight=evo3

It looks like you would need a GPS05 and a couple of sensors, but that would be a nice setup.

Liked: 105

I have installed and EVO4 with a Mychron3 Dash. this sytem will give you fully GPS speed and track mapping built in, and well as engine rpm, battery level, acceleration. You can add sensors as nessessary, currently using Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, and TPS. You can always add sensors in the future ($$$) as you find the need.

Easy to use, Good Display, the software works very well.

How much more do you need in a Vee, depends how deep your pockets are.

I would recommend a online course on data aquisition hosted by John Block that is helpful to learn what all the numbers are and how you can benefit from them. I think it is auto-ware.
    Noel Brigido
    Formula 1200 / FTDA

Liked: 1

Russ,

I am using an Aim and will be happy to share all of the Colorado tracks with you. Talk to Jim at SR, he sold units to my dad an I and is great for support.

Phil Holcomb

Liked: 72

Another low cost system is Racepak, division of MSD ignitions. Getting a good tack signal is a challenge since our dated ignitions are not friendly with state of the art computers. The software and support is quite good and I really like mine.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Can the XGLog hardwired display have a connector inserted in the event a club ford could be run at a vintage event without the display?

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 285

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hirst View Post
    Can the XGLog hardwired display have a connector inserted in the event a club ford could be run at a vintage event without the display?
    I have done this for a couple of customers who didn't want so much cord. Cost would be about $20 labor, plus $20 in parts for the connectors.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

I wish AIM would produce a cheap GPS upgrade for the XG Log series. Their external stuff requires the higher end systems, like there's a business plan to push you in that direction. CDS actually has a plug-in GPS module for AIM, but at $600 it's not really cost effective with selling the old system and upgrading to an MXL or EVO.

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Thanks David,

Jonathan
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Default AutoSport Labs

These guys are kind of crazy (in a good way) and are offering something that is very reasonably priced. No display yet but it's in the works. If you are just looking to log data, this has enough analog and digital inputs to cover most cars and 10hZ GPS included. Software for analysis too..... $399.00

http://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-p-74.html

It's open source so it may not be 100% plug and play with all sensors. But none of the loggers are anyways.

They also offer a device that will give real time "to the cloud" telemetry using prepaid T mobile SIM card so your crew can monitor your progress/telemetry from the pits or the beach! For $129.00. Cheap.

-Andy P

Liked: 285

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    I have done this for a couple of customers who didn't want so much cord. Cost would be about $20 labor, plus $20 in parts for the connectors.
    Thinking about this further -- I'm not sure if an XG Log will log without the display. I guess the first step is to test this. You could remove the display back and remove the cable connection for a quick test in your garage. Fire up the engine to start logging.

You certainly need to attach the display to download data since the USB connection is on the display. It might be best just to tuck the display in the car instead of disconnecting it.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 50

Not sure this was mentioned, but the AIM Mychron units (AIM GOLD, AIM XG) are no longer in production. You MAY be able to find one on the shelf somewhere. The most common upgrade is the EVO4 with G-DASH. More pricey, but lots more function and better display etc. Still a great buy. We have sold several with good feedback.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 5

Don't get tricked into some of the really trick hardware and displays that some of the systems offer. The real heart of data acquisition is the software used to analyze the data. If you are going to go with a data system you will get the most use out of it if it can tell you what the car is doing and what are you telling the car to do. So look at the following sensors to start with.

1. Engine RPM
    2. Throttle position
    3. Steering position
    4. Longitudinal G's
    5. Lateral G's
    6. Rear wheel RPM
    7. Oil Temp
    8. Oil Pressure
    9. GPS

Also do some searching and read the various posts by George Main and John Block and/or message/call them. Two very knowledgeable guys when it comes to data. They can help you get an idea on the importance of these various sensors and help you narrow down your selection of system. Personnally I use a CDS system and love it. However AIM might be a little less expensive. AIM systems are very widely used at the track so you can often find someone to help you a bit trackside if you have an issue. Price out both systems and see which will best work for you.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    1. Engine RPM
    2. Throttle position
    3. Steering position
    4. Longitudinal G's
    5. Lateral G's
    6. Rear wheel RPM
    7. Oil Temp
    8. Oil Pressure
    9. GPS
    All these, plus more can be done with AIM EVO4