Liked: 1

Default John Stim Race at LRP

Hi folks,

For anyone who wasn't monitoring the thread for this race in the FV section

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59075

Some important information:

Wings & things and NCF have been moved back out of group 3 into group 1, however we qualify last, so your first track session is estimated to be at 5:35. Yes, PM. This is the only session on Friday. EDIT: as of 8:32 pm on Thursday, another schedule change - now we are last BOTH days.

Sorry for the double/cross-post Doug.
    Last edited by GeoffRain; 07.11.13 at 8:35 PM. Reason: you'll have to ask the event organizers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Wasn't there

If Mo-Hud does send me a trophy for that race I am going to hide it in the back of my closet under some old sneakers and never admit to being there.

Liked: 157

Default now I want to know what I missed

Off to Mylaps, but I doubt it will give me what I want to know

Fess up Ed, what happened??

Liked: 111

Default Results?

Anyone got the results for this race.. I can't seem to find it on SCCA or Mohawk-Hudson sites

-Bob

Liked: 127

Rand took the morning race win in FF, had it in the bag in the afternoon but got taken out on the second to last lap by an FA running 1:04 lap times, who also held me up the whole race.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 120

Unfortunately there were a few back markers that had very little track sense and poor Mike got punted off while leading. On a positive note , Eric Presbey had one of the finest drives ever in an FC at Lime Rock and set a new track record at 50.3.....

Liked: 0

Dennis, were you and Eric on bias or radials?

Bias....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Different class

Eric passed me between the up hill and west bend and I watch him go through west bend. It was like watching a whole different class of car he was so much faster through there then other FC cars I have seen

Liked: 0

Does anybody know who was there taking photos last weekend? If anyone who knows can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott B

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by CptMustard View Post
    Does anybody know who was there taking photos last weekend? If anyone who knows can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott B

Try

http://www.puckstopperphotography.com/f247666143

or also

http://valleyvisions.smugmug.com/

Liked: 3787

I just finished watching a video of the race.
    If they didn't send the driver of #1 back to drivers school, then there is no justice.
    What a jerk.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

mike, is the video on apex somewhere? i'd like to see it as it may be the closest i get to the track this year

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    mike, is the video on apex somewhere? i'd like to see it as it may be the closest i get to the track this year
    I'm thinking it's this mess.

So many questions about this video:
    1. Why no wings on the FC?
    2. Was Rand arrested?
    3. Why did Will wait till the END of the race for the "your number one" salute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towkyJlomB0
    Last edited by stonebridge20; 07.18.13 at 10:29 PM.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Mr Rand sent it to me. No words can describe what I watched other than WTF! How does any sanctioning body allow anyone in a car like that? Totally dangerous at every speed. Rand's lucky he wasn't hurt.

Default Good job by Will

I like Will's driving! way better than I was doing in my second or even 5th season!

Liked: 8

Default Second Steves remarks

Hi Will:
    I would have to agree with Steve.
    Good job of being situationally aware and not getting in over your head trying to pass.
    As I watched you trying to get around the black FC? and FA, I couldn't help thinking about the Stallone movie Driven where he is in the car and talking to his teamate over the radio.
    "OK! now you go right and I'll stay left and we'll block the car behind us"
    I hope that Mike protested the FA driver for his inability to manage traffic and faster cars.
    Even if it is the overtaking drivers responsiblity to safely make the pass, the other car(s) were definately in their own world.
    I'm surprised that something didn't happen sooner.

Thanks guys! Just starting my 3rd season (7th race weekend), and finally broke into the 57's for the first time in qualifying on Friday (Well, barely...57.99)

Now I need to find another second or two to keep up with Rand.

Being the last race of the weekend, and hopes of several more events this season, I decided against trying to make a dive bomb move and risking getting taken out and killing off the rest of my season.

I believe the rumor was the FC had a wing damaged in qualifying, so decided to run the car wingless, but that was just what I heard.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 174

Did anyone protest or speak with "Captain Oblivious" in the FA about his complete
    failure to notice others around him?

Mark

The FC was running in as a CFC and was the only CFC there. He lost his front wing in an off early in the weekend and asked permission to run the car wingless. Given he had driven quite a distance to attend the event, no one had much issue with it...

WOW....I just watched that entire video! That FA was like watching a FV on steroids. Fast on the front straight, slow everywhere else. That guy driving the FA is completely clueless, not only about who's behind him, but to track workers going crazy trying to get his attention waving the blue flag!!

They should show this video at every driving school on what "not to do". Just because you can afford an FA, doesn't mean you should buy one!! This driver should be sat down and talked to, but that never happens.

The only reason why I really posted to this thread, was so I'd get emails when others posted to it. I'm surprised Rand hasn't spoken sooner to voice his displeasure about that guy in the FA driving like a moving chicane.

Brian

Here is the video from Race #1. Much better for me personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U_d7...ature=youtu.be
    Will Velkoff

I only got two laps in that weekend due to motor issues. Thanks for posting the video Will, at least I got to see the races.

Geoff
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Hey Geoff-What motor issues did you have?
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 126

That FA was utterly horrid. An excellent drive by Will. And Eric looked smooth.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: John Stim Race at LRP

WOW !!! Watched you follow that FA... I'm totally stressed out, blood pressure thru the roof just watching... can't imagine what it'd be like actually on track behind that guy... frustrating, to say the least...Great job keeping an eye on the idiot in front while watching your mirrors, too. Situational awareness to the max !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Wil

I had to watch your first race just to regain my sanity... Nice drive !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    Hey Geoff-What motor issues did you have?
    Low oil pressure warning in every corner. It turned out that in just those 2 laps I has blown about a quart into the catch can via the valve cover vent. Hope I didn't spill anything onto the track.

-Geoff
    Geoff Rainville
    VanDiemen RF90 FF

Quote Originally Posted by Brian331 View Post

They should show this video at every driving school on what "not to do". Just because you can afford an FA, doesn't mean you should buy one!! This driver should be sat down and talked to, but that never happens.

Brian
    Right on Brian, not only to use the FA to show what NOT to do but also to use Will's driving to show new drivers exactly what they SHOULD do.

Will, that that was some of the best driving I have ever seen, simply because of the patience you showed in what was a horrible situation. So many other drivers would have simply stuffed their car into a corner and tried to push their way past and maybe they make it but most likely they dont.

Considering those are the slowest times I've turned since buying the car from Rand, it means a lot. It was very frustrating and took a lot of patience, but I decided it wasn't worth risking my car and safety trying to make a dive bomb move to get by.
    Will Velkoff

Liked: 32

This why we don't have driver audio on our video's. Although I think I could still hear Will over the engine and wind noise. Great display of patience in a bad situation. Without the power to make a pass where the FA was pointed straight for a while you were left with the corners. Looks like Mike took a tough hit into the guard rail.

ajw

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Surprisingly light actually as it appears if the car made contact with the wall it was a relatively "soft" sideways slap.
    Actual damage are the two right hand radius rods, liberally coated with his tire rubber, and the left lower rear wishbone due to the actual impact I assume. His left front left a huge impressive stock like donut right at me in the cockpit. I have an impressive 8" X 6" blue/black/purple bruise in my left bicep from the forward facing roll bar brace. No room for padding as when normally seated I am in contact with said brace already ! Guess I'll be gluing some high density stuff on there now......
    Actually climbed in and drove it back past race with an few inches of rear toe in scrub but more or less intact.
    In the middle of the flat spin over the curb and ensuing dust cloud I was sure it was going in Hewland first and it was going to be big and really hurt the car.
    But old faithful 30 pulls through again.
    That car owes me nothing after the last 13 years of abuse and ignoring it between outings.......

Liked: 32

Glad to hear you and your car are just a little bruised up. The car can be fixed, you will heal but will never truely be fixed.

ajw

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Ummm, fixed, an interesting word choice, eh AJ ?

Thread Information