Thread: Avon tires

Liked: 9

Default Avon tires

Wild rumor from my tire supplier, Krause Racing. Avon will have FF autoX slicks made from a rain compound and they will be out this month.
    Anyone heard about this? Someone must have been testing them if true.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 0

True!

FF bias ply slicks in the A15 compound.

Eric, John and I did quite a bit of testing with H, GY and Avon.
    The Avons we tested previously were all radials, so not cantilevered.

We found the the GY 160 to be fractionally faster than the H tire when ambient air temps are in the 90's and up.

These will be bias ply cantilevers.

Roger Kraus is waiting for some updated info from the UK and I will pass it along as soon as I have it.

From Roger:

The front size is 7.0/20.0-13 and the rear is 7.6/22.5-12 Cantilever in the rear only. The published heights are 20.8 front and 22.2 rear. These will be made in four compounds at least for testing, from soft to hard, A15, A11, A514 and A37. We feel the A15 will be the best but if the temperatures 100 degrees perhaps the A11 will be the ticket.

Liked: 183

interesting..

Production happens mid-July.
    I would expect them here by the end of August.

Call Roger Krause if you want in on the first shipment.

Liked: 3

Unfortunately, I won't be driving my CM car for a couple/few months, so I got nuthin' to add.

I like the Hoosiers. My fear is the super soft Avon is quicker and is toast in 30 runs...now, why does that sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    Unfortunately, I won't be driving my CM car for a couple/few months, so I got nuthin' to add.

I like the Hoosiers. My fear is the super soft Avon is quicker and is toast in 30 runs...now, why does that sound familiar?
    Mike,
    My fear as well. And I know why it sounds familiar.
    It will become a rich persons sport, right? I am heading toward 140 runs on the Hoosiers again. At 30 or so runs on a set of Avons, I would need a monthly delivery
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 14

Default Avon tires

We now have 60 runs on our Avon (on an Anson SV), and still sticky and hardly worn, FWIW.
    Being a "budget racer", I haven't been a great customer of his (over the last 37 years), but Roger Kraus has always given me good advice and very competent service.
    Mike McHugh

Liked: 10

FYI: I wonder how well the Avon rear cantilever FF tires will work, especially in the transition intensive autocross environment? Also, from some of the things the DM/EM guys have found about the compounds it may be an interesting challenge choosing the compound for unpredictable autocross temps and surfaces. Then, of course, there may be a rather long lead time for tires. It will be interesting to hear how your testing goes.

On a side note, I bought tires off and on from Roger Krause in the mid 70's through early 80's when I lived in Silicon Valley.

Dick

Both the GY and the Avon Radials transition better than the Hoosier.

The Avon radial on the front was awesome.
    The Avon radial on the rear not so much - since it's not a cantilever, it's fairly narrow. On the plus side, it made the car feel like it had an extra 50 hp! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Puertas View Post
    Both the GY and the Avon Radials transition better than the Hoosier.

The Avon radial on the front was awesome.
    The Avon radial on the rear not so much - since it's not a cantilever, it's fairly narrow. On the plus side, it made the car feel like it had an extra 50 hp! :-)
    Oh, 50 more hp, my fantasy come true. Would that put us in AM performance territory?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Oh, 50 more hp, my fantasy come true. Would that put us in AM performance territory?
    Mark
    Ha! Maybe FM.
    While t did make for nice power-on drifts coming out of sweepers, it was certainly not fast.

What's a modern Atlantic car have? 300hp? And that's still not the car to have for BM...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Puertas View Post
    Ha! Maybe FM.
    While t did make for nice power-on drifts coming out of sweepers, it was certainly not fast.

What's a modern Atlantic car have? 300hp? And that's still not the car to have for BM...
    I guess the local AM guys are a bit on the slow side as they only beat me by 1.2 sec at the last event.
    There is a local Formula Continental(the 2000cc FF) and that's what I have been thinking about. I have not seen it run.
    Mark

Liked: 3

^Mark, it is hard to explain how fast AM actually is until you see the top car in the class run at Lincoln. You will be amazed.

Back on the Avons, Mike, it is good to hear they are wearing well on the Anson SV, but is that a good proxy for what might happen on the CM cars?

One of the things that has made CM attractive is the "easy button" nature. Now, with the potential for new Vee builds and new tires/tire testing on the horizon, seems we all may have to up our game, possibly. Heck, might as well dump the GCR piece and let us Fords have some mods, too...then we can totally screw up the class. JK!!

Not saying having new tire choices is a "sky is falling" situation...obviously, it isn't. Am saying that, if the Avons are fast and wear quickly, a key element of the class will have been lost, as we currently have a spec tire that represents a good compromise.

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    ^
    Not saying having new tire choices is a "sky is falling" situation...obviously, it isn't. Am saying that, if the Avons are fast and wear quickly, a key element of the class will have been lost, as we currently have a spec tire that represents a good compromise.
    I have similar thoughts...

I ran A15 Avons on my car in BM, before I converted it to FF/Honda. VERY limited experience, but I thought they were too soft for a warm day and two drivers. A local, very good DM driver (double digit Nat. Championships) has run A11's and thought they were a little too hard, he'd like something in the middle. ???? Seems like they are competitive longer (i.e. more heat cycles before they're toast) but I can't say that with a much confidence.

For me

Hoosier Pros:
    - They're pretty darn good
    - Easy to get
    - "reasonable cost"
    - "Spec" tire
    - Contingency
    - I don't have to do a tire test (money, time, etc, etc, etc)

Hoosier Cons:
    - It might be the new car or my imagination, but the 25B's seem to be more temperamental than the 25As
    - Not competitive for as long as I'd like (i.e., heat cycle out faster than I think they should, Hoosier can probably do better if they were motivated to)

Avon Pros:
    - Jury is out, especially the rear tires
    - Hopefully they are competitive longer (which might motivate Hoosier to improve their tire but that could fuel a tire war, which has it's own pros and cons)
    - I suppose it would be nice if they worked better (more grip, easier to drive, wider set-up sweet spot) so the car is a even more fun to drive but that's mostly just a pax blip for a little while.

Avon Cons:
    - more expensive
    - no contingency
    - more difficult to get ("interesting" production "schedule", delivery challenges, limited US suppliers)
    - Tire testing required, Maybe performance?????

So, Yeah, I'm hoping they don't turn out to be faster, and I don't plan on being the guinea pig. But, if they seem to be faster, I'll be the next guy in line to get some to test....

I'm glad to see information flowing!! The guys that are spending their time and money trying Avons don't have to share the info but it sure says a lot about them that they are!!!!

Thanks,
    Barry

[QUOTE=mwood;397112]^Mark, it is hard to explain how fast AM actually is until you see the top car in the class run at Lincoln. You will be amazed.

Mike,
    You are correct. Last year 10 sec faster than CM, the year before over 13 sec faster. That is screaming. And I guessed our local AM guys are on the slow side. I wish it meant our local CM guys were on the fast side.
    Mark

All this talk about tires and Nationals has got me hot and bothered. I'm going over to storage to see my car.
    Is there anything more patriotic on the 4th of July than car racing?
    Mark

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    All this talk about tires and Nationals has got me hot and bothered. I'm going over to storage to see my car.
    Is there anything more patriotic on the 4th of July than car racing?
    Mark
    Come up to Sears Point this weekend for the SCCA Club races!
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Come up to Sears Point this weekend for the SCCA Club races!
    I would, but AAS is doing both days this wkend at Marina.
    Mark

Thread Information