Liked: 0

Default SR1, SR2, DSR, CSR class car suggestions for me

Need help suggestions in finding a class car best for me that I can run open track days then get more into racing as I get more seat time.

I had a very track prep Car for only track days and sold to get into FC but that fell a part and have no race car now. My track laps when i did open track days would of had me in P1 P2 my car would have been classified. (Lotus Elise) had i been racing so i am not a complete newbie. but I know i need lots more experience and expect to be in back of field if I start racing. I do have a deposit in on a new C7 Corvette but if I go that way it will be more a fun non track car 80% of the time with a few open track days mixed in. But on fence if i get the C7. Wait is killing me on new C7 and starting to rethink what I get next, 100% track car or C7. But if I go track car I do not want to spend more then ~$40k

if i go 100% track car it would be more a track day car and then get a race license next year but still be used for both open track days and SCCA or NASA class events

Looking for some suggestions on what to get. Something to fit SR1 or SR2 or ????

Want reliability but I am very comfortable with a wrench and like doing pre set up almost as much as being on track. But want expendable to be lower cost (tires, blown engines, trans...)

Is a used Radical a good option for me? The track day group one I ran with here locally did have some Radicals running with us in group one.

I live in south east Michigan and plan to run local tracks in Michigan and within days drive tracks. I still have my aluminum 14 foot inclosed car hauler that was built for a Lotus Elise/Exige
    Last edited by Qz5gxt; 07.02.13 at 8:54 AM.

Liked: 276

Sounds like you need to come out and hang with us this weekend at Waterford.

Race 3 weekend, starting with Practice Friday 7/5 at noon...

It should be pretty hard to beat a P2 (formerly SR2) car for bang for the buck. Depends - how fast/expensive do you want to go?

C7's stupid fun on track, but will definitely be a completely different set of cost/time/etc. and with a very different ultimate goal vs. a P2 car.

That said... I don't know that I'd expect to get so much out of running a Radical or other P1/P2 car in a track day... can be sketchy on the safety side (since it's easy to be invisible), yet you can make/learn/reinforce all kinds of driving sins but still be the fastest thing in sight. So ultimately perhaps quite counterproductive if the goal is to be race-ready.

Drop by this weekend and say hi...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 5

Vaughan is exactly the person I was expecting/hoping would respond, so definitely take him up on offer to see the xSR/SRx/Px group race near you. There is actually quite a large contingent of sports racers in you area, too!

My view is, if you think there is greater than 50/50 probability you will go racing in the next year or two, go directly to DSR/SR2/P2. Class rules changing, but still plenty fast and costs potentially better contained than before. Ongoing consumable costs are cheap relative to what you had been driving or contemplating. If less than 50/50, go with whatever compromised street/track car that turns you on, because driving a DSR/SR2/P2 car for more than a year at just track events will make you look like a hot shoe, but cause you to develop very bad driving habits (still more I need to shed!). So you wanna be a racer or look like a racer?
    Sherman
    2006 Stohr WF-1

Thanks all, I plan to be at Waterford Hills for this weekends events. Yes if I go a true track car I would just do some open track days to tune and get some seat time. Wife wants me to go C7 route but I know my past history I would soon be looking for a six point seat and belts and so on as it would not be the daily driver car.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default PS/SR2 SCCA Enterprises cars for sale

I have two SCCA Enterprise Sportsracers and only need one. They are a great option for the new Prototype 2 class as well as track days due to the high level of performance, low costs, driver safety and reliability.

Sent you an email. Good luck with your quest!

Jay Messenger
    806-946-7252
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Qz5gxt View Post
    Thanks all, I plan to be at Waterford Hills for this weekends events. Yes if I go a true track car I would just do some open track days to tune and get some seat time. Wife wants me to go C7 route but I know my past history I would soon be looking for a six point seat and belts and so on as it would not be the daily driver car.
    Well, how did it go?
    Sherman
    2006 Stohr WF-1

Quote Originally Posted by ctracer18 View Post
    Well, how did it go?
    Not a real big turn out at Waterford event with nice weather other then normal spec SM and larger closed wheel. I think many waiting to be at Gingermen this weekend is my understanding. I stopped my order on a new 2014 Vette C7 today and will hold off on C7 for a year or two. I will keep looking for a DSR and FC or a track day car like a Ariel Atom spec racer, radical or another Lotus, basically if I see a good deal on something that feels wright buy it. But it sure is killing not having a track car last 5 months.
    Last edited by Qz5gxt; 07.13.13 at 8:52 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Default Track Day Car

If all you want is a track day car, I am located in Saint Louis and have a brand new, never run example for a very reasonable price. I wish I could post pictures but you can see it on the sportsracer.net forum under track day cars and Marty's creation. If this would suit your needs, call me at 3148986673 to discuss.
    Marty

Default maybe this is what you want....

Have a look in the Vintage S2 postings.
    2005 SCCA Runoffs champion.
    Black, some spares, 7 weekends on ELITE motor.
    $37,000
    Ward Witkowski
    404 213 1999
    alfaward@bellsouth.net

Thread Information