Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Thanks to everyone,, I believe this was a herculean effort on many peoples part .
    thanks again,,,,,,,bob

Liked: 175

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Read View Post
    Only 2 1/2 hours until the speedcasttv.com official announcement ! Let the East coast start crying now
    I'm not from "the East coast" (at least as defined above), but I doubt that anyone who is will be "crying" about what for much of the membership will be a one-year hiatus. Enjoy it in 2014; the next time won't be until 2017 or 2018.

Liked: 896

I love it. We will do all we can to be there.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by David Locke View Post
    I'm not from "the East coast" (at least as defined above), but I doubt that anyone who is will be "crying" about what for much of the membership will be a one-year hiatus. Enjoy it in 2014; the next time won't be until 2017 or 2018.
    I agree, I doubt very many people are going to be majorly upset by this. We Westerners will make the most of next year, and then hopefully more will joint the caravan back east in subsequent years. I know Daytona has been on my bucket list for two decades...

Oh, and David...I once teased a boss for going "back East" to Wyoming for vacation. He was NOT amused!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Huh, Last weekend at the June Sprints, I heard from a very reliable source that 2014 would be at Nelson Ledges.

Well, do I feel like a real idiot now.

That's the last time I listen to that source
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 157

Dibs on Porter's DB-6 rental!

I love the new rotation. I did not expect this but am pleasantly surprised. I was fearing a 3 year commitment to Laguna, but the way they have it set up now looks great.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Well, do I feel like a real idiot now.

That's the last time I listen to that source
    I think now you are qualified to be a lead reporter at any major news outlet...

Liked: 120

Laguna has long been on the bucket list, it will certainly give us a reason to take a hard look at actually going there by moving it up the list.

I wonder if it would be feasible to ship a POD there and fly out?

The other alternative would be to get a few drivers together and split the cost of a trailer...

Liked: 3

Default Neil's shop

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Dibs on Porter's DB-6 rental!

I love the new rotation. I did not expect this but am pleasantly surprised. I was fearing a 3 year commitment to Laguna, but the way they have it set up now looks great.

Neil Porter's shop is going to fill up quickly!

I am quite pleased with the arrangement, one year at Laguna will be convenient
    , my 1st run-offs since 1981 at Road Atlanta.
    However, I will also be more interested in a trip to Daytona than Road America, and Mid-Ohio is another good choice.
    Just wish COTA was in the future also.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Here's what pushed Laguna to the top

Doug Lerned's breakfast club in Seaside! Check out earlier post................

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

I like the idea of breaking up the years instead of holding it at the same track.

Who would not want to race at Laguna? Daytona and then Mid Ohio. All three should be on everyones bucket list!

Liked: 19

Default Laguna Seca

Hi - I for one am looking forward to next year. Laguna is only 2 hours from my shop. Sure beats the 36 hour straight drive we did to Mid Ohio in a rental car on 9/11 when all the planes were grounded. By the way, I do not know what next years regional schedule is going to be but we usually have 2 or 3 regional races weekends at Laguna Seca and all our races are double weekends. Great way to learn the track. Should have lots of interest in car rentals next year. Renting a car for a double regional is going to be less expensive for some to learn the track than towing their car out here twice. Hope to see you there.

Neil
    Porter Racing/Pacific Crossle' Inc.

Liked: 232

Default Porter Race Car Rentals ......

Last edited by Swift17; 01.17.14 at 8:48 AM.

Liked: 5

Default Laguna Map

Just a little view to get your glands all worked up.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/ma...ng_lines_0.pdf

Liked: 91

What seems to be quicker at Laguna, big or small rears?

Liked: 34

Not enough data. SFR has not held a national event @ Laguna for a long time. The current track records were set w big rears. The qual record was set in 2006 and the race record in 2007. Both were set in one of Neil Porter's DB6 with GY and big rears IIRC.

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What seems to be quicker at Laguna, big or small rears?
    If this is any indication, Laguna is one of the max-downforce tracks for Indycars, LMP, etc. The straights are short and there are a few important fast corners, so gluing the car down to the track is the fast setup. So, I'd guess that the wide rears are the right call.

I think Laguna is the final exam for setup quality because there are important corners that are slow, medium, and fast. Qualifying is going to be super-important because the short straights make passing really difficult, and there are no multi-turn sequences that promote double passes. But the corkscrew really is that cool. Every single lap. It never gets old.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_Roberts View Post
    The straights are short and there are a few important fast corners, so gluing the car down to the track is the fast setup. So, I'd guess that the wide rears are the right call.

I think Laguna is the final exam for setup quality because there are important corners that are slow, medium, and fast.
    Interesting. My "guess" would be the small rears would be better in race conditions there. I'd 'think' that the lower rotating mass would be more beneficial than the extra grip due to the number of times you are accelerating from either a very slow corner or up a pretty steep hill or both.

I'd also think that if I can match lap times, I'll take the better accelerating set up given there is likely going to be lots of cars on a pretty tight track. If we both get baulked up somewhere I'd rather have the quicker accelerating car. I'd also take the car that can get from the very slow T11 up the hill to the S/F line first even if it cost me a few tenths elsewhere on the track.

The smaller rears will also build heat faster. Given the relatively cool air there and the possibility of a FCY or 2 I'd give another nod to the small rears.

Maybe, the hot ticket will be to qualify on large/race on smalls.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information