Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked: 151

Default 2014 Runoffs at Laguna Seca

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    Parking lot should be ok, no?
    No. You will have to put an extra gallon of gas in the car to make it to grid, anyone who doesn't have a pit vehicle will not be able to get their crew to pit lane, and there are no support facilities(crappers). There will be 2000 people there sharing one bathroom.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    No. You will have to put an extra gallon of gas in the car to make it to grid, anyone who doesn't have a pit vehicle will not be able to get their crew to pit lane, and there are no support facilities(crappers). There will be 2000 people there sharing one bathroom.
    There are also no food/drink stands, no power availability, etc.

CotA is designed for 20 cars, 200 crew, and 100,000 spectators. The Runoffs is 600 cars, 2,500 crew, and 1,000 spectators. The track itself is wonderful, but it's just not set up for our sort of event yet.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 120

So if scca is going to hold the runoffs on the west coast every 4-5 years, which track should it be at? Must be professional grade track capable of handling that many cars, drivers, and crew with plenty of infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    So if scca is going to hold the runoffs on the west coast every 4-5 years, which track should it be at? Must be professional grade track capable of handling that many cars, drivers, and crew with plenty of infrastructure.
    Portland? (The city would have to shut down the weekend drag races - could that happen?)

Sears Point?

Laguna Seca? (Paddock?)
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by ccoffin View Post
    Laguna is doable for 400ish cars if you don't have guys/gals with one Formula car thinking they need a 30'x80' paddock space. Show up with a pick up truck and a 20' trailer and everybody fits without having to use the campground. Think of it as a throwback RunOffs. Back when your car was more expensive than your trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Laguna is doable for 400ish cars if you don't have guys/gals with one Formula car thinking they need a 30'x80' paddock space. Show up with a pick up truck and a 20' trailer and everybody fits without having to use the campground. Think of it as a throwback RunOffs. Back when your car was more expensive than your trailer.
    We might show up with a car on the open trailer being towed by the '87 3/4 ton suburban just to see the looks we get (our typical tow setup to high brow events). I like the throwback idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    Portland? (The city would have to shut down the weekend drag races - could that happen?)

Sears Point?

Laguna Seca? (Paddock?)
    Those would be my choices, even though it is well documented that we generally suck at PIR. How feasible would miller be?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post

Where do you put the shock dyno, tire mount/dismount/balance setup, A-frame lift, TIG welder, scales/pad, toolbox, 40 tires, enough clothes for 10-11 days, pit vehicle, spare motors, canopy, nitrogen bottle, fuel cans, spares, and beds?

Liked: 3787

...pit bike, pit cart, bar-b-q grill, large ice chest, spare nose, spare rear wing, canopy poles and canvas, tables, chairs, the kid's playpen and legos....

You only carry one spare nose and rear wing?

Liked: 1432

You guys have a spare nose?

Elitists...

Liked: 232

Quote: "We might show up with a car on the open trailer being towed by the '87 3/4 ton suburban just to see the looks we get (our typical tow setup to high brow events). I like the throwback idea."

RECENT AD ...............
    Last edited by Swift17; 01.17.14 at 8:48 AM.

Liked: 26

God help us if I can't bring my legos !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 25

Default Miller High Life

Even though Laguna and Sonoma are two of my home tracks, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, UT. Excellent track and facilities, close to SLC, closer to you East Coasters, right off of I-80. It's rarely used by SCCA so there should me little "home track advantage". NASA has held their championship events there as well.
    Chuck Raggio

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Miller Motorsports Park. Good idea & I like being out in the 'Toolies'. I grew up there... Way out in the toolies...
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 896

Miller is a very good facility. We have been there.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 113

...Miller is a nice facility, but for me, it generates about the same amount of excitement as Topeka. I will not tow out to Miller. I would consider a tow to Sears Point, or Laguna for the Runoffs. I am not sure that their are any other tracks that I would consider. Maybe it is "old school", but I feel that the Runoffs should go to a location that has some historical significance to the Sport.For example, if the SCCA ever decides to make a play for Indy, I would do everything possible to run there. Outside of Sears and Laguna, there is not much of a choice. I know that Willow Springs falls into the historic category, but I do not think anyone would show up for a Runoffs there. Now if they decided to hold the Runoffs on the Streets of Long Beach, that sure would separate the men from the boys....
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Robson View Post
    ...Miller is a nice facility, but for me, it generates about the same amount of excitement as Topeka. I will not tow out to Miller. I would consider a tow to Sears Point, or Laguna for the Runoffs. I am not sure that their are any other tracks that I would consider. Maybe it is "old school", but I feel that the Runoffs should go to a location that has some historical significance to the Sport.For example, if the SCCA ever decides to make a play for Indy, I would do everything possible to run there. Outside of Sears and Laguna, there is not much of a choice. I know that Willow Springs falls into the historic category, but I do not think anyone would show up for a Runoffs there. Now if they decided to hold the Runoffs on the Streets of Long Beach, that sure would separate the men from the boys....
    I agree. I am a major Sears Point fan. The facilities are good enough (my guess)
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    You guys have a spare nose?

Elitists...

Hahaha probably the best post on this forum.

Contributing Member

Default Sears Point

You two must be old farts like me to still refer to Sears Point as such. Technically it is now Sonoma, formerly Infineon (the most hideous name for a race track). How many remember it as Golden State?
    In my unprofessional estimation of paddock space, I think Laguna has more competitor friendly space.
    As for Miller, it may not have the history, but is a very cool track. Long bits which I'm told resemble RA, with some great technical segments. The downhill esses are a blast. Very smooth, wide, good run-off so you can go off and not kill the session for you or the rest of the run group.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

I remember clearly having 500 competitors at Laguna back before the economy crashed.
    It will always be Sears Point to me.
    Hybels

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jeffords View Post
    Do they serve bratwurst in California?
    can you handle calamari?

Default Spares

Reid:
    Do you mean a spare for the Carbir?
    - Frank C

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    Reid:
    Do you mean a spare for the Carbir?
    - Frank C
    I'd be happy with something I would actually need a spare for, let alone a spare...that is just gluttony.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    I remember clearly having 500 competitors at Laguna back before the economy crashed.
    It will always be Sears Point to me.
    Wut?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 2

They need to keep it somewhere in the middle of the US because I can tell you if the runoffs goes to the west coast I'm not going and I know a lot of other people that won't go ether because of the cost of travel allown would be to much and not to mention the time off from jobs that would be needed to get there race and then come back.

I will go wherever the Runoffs is. I had to miss the Runoffs at Riverside when I won the Cen-Div C-Sedan championship and I am still miserable about it.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

According to Google Maps, it is 45 hours one-way from New York (figure 12 hours a day with no problems springing up) that is 4 days of just drive time...one way.

From Chicago it is 33 hours or 3 days of a drive.

Figure average mileage for tow vehicles is 10 mpg, and gas is $4/gal, that is $900 from Chicago and $1200 from New York...again one way.

One of the issues that was pointed out yet again in the survey SCCA sent out was peoples' lack of satisfaction with the schedule in that it required too much time off work. I know the CA guys will like Laguna (if it happens) and they have had it rough for 30 years towing out to Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Topeka, and Road America. As the meat of SCCA membership is East Coast and Midwest I can't see a whole bunch of those guys towing for a week when time off work was already an known problem.

For an East Coaster, it would be 8 days and $2200 in fuel just to get there. Add in the Runoffs week and testing, and conceivable someone would be off work for 20 days if you add in testing. A CenDiv guy would be 6 days and $1800.

Also, there are some folks (me) that don't have a tow vehicle that could handle making it through the Rockies. Car pooling with a big rig is about the only viable option for a good amount of people.

I'd love to race there, but I see this as a tough one to pull off.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

For an East Coaster, it would be 8 days and $2200 in fuel just to get there. Add in the Runoffs week and testing, and conceivable someone would be off work for 20 days if you add in testing.
    On the upside, there wouldn't be any testing days. You simply won't be able to get enough days with sound restrictions lifted.

Also, there will be lots of downtime due to new competitors going into the many sand traps.

Logistically, Laguna would be a terrible place for the runoffs.

Liked: 232

Default An Option ...........

Also, there are some folks (me) that don't have a tow vehicle that could handle making it through the Rockies. Car pooling with a big rig is about the only viable option for a good amount of people.
    Allllll aaaaaa BBBBoard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Swift17; 01.29.14 at 4:55 AM.

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
    I see the Florida heat is already getting to people.

---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

That is awesome. Please diagram the passenger car layout as well. Some of us might not ride well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post

Liked: 444

E.J, Let's make it happen.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ARizer View Post
    They need to keep it somewhere in the middle of the US because I can tell you if the runoffs goes to the west coast I'm not going and I know a lot of other people that won't go ether because of the cost of travel allown would be to much and not to mention the time off from jobs that would be needed to get there race and then come back.

Your reason is why there is a low turnout from the West Coast. Since Riverside, there has not been a West Coast event. Now they are suggesting a rotation every year from different parts of the nation. It will probably bring out more competitors from areas that do not normally participate. Once they do, who is to say they will not continue. I say it equalizes the event, not just for those on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Your reason is why there is a low turnout from the West Coast. Since Riverside, there has not been a West Coast event. Now they are suggesting a rotation every year from different parts of the nation. It will probably bring out more competitors from areas that do not normally participate. Once they do, who is to say they will not continue. I say it equalizes the event, not just for those on the East Coast.
    Right on. I don't think anyone is arguing the West Coast guys aren't getting the shaft. In the effort of fairness, a rotating event does make sense. What most people are saying is that is you look at membership in SCCA (general membership, not Runoffs participation) the West Coast is in the minority with Central and East Coast being the majority. I, and I don't think people are trying to say otherwise, think there will be a lot of West Coast guys that would absolutely go to Laguna, but they would not turn out in the numbers needed to make up for those who would not come compared to normal attendance. At the end of the day, a net loss in entries.

But...there is only one way to tell. Participation aside, Laguna would be a pretty awesome place to race.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The East Coast has the highest concentration of racers. As soon as you move it more than a reasonable distance from them, then the event will die. Moving to the West Coast should kill the monster once and for all. Hopefully, some more efficient championship process will emerge.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 27

Default Trucking into California

It's a limited amount if people but have you tried to drive trucks into California recently! Can you say Hassle!!!!!!! Beyond any belief of hassle.

What most people are saying is that is you look at membership in SCCA (general membership, not Runoffs participation) the West Coast is in the minority with Central and East Coast being the majority. I, and I don't think people are trying to say otherwise, think there will be a lot of West Coast guys that would absolutely go to Laguna, but they would not turn out in the numbers needed to make up for those who would not come compared to normal attendance. At the end of the day, a net loss in entries.
    Hmmm.....what about the possibility that we would get more West Coast participation in general SCCA events? There are a LOT of guys racing on the West Coast who aren't running with SCCA today (ICSCC, for example); I wonder how many of them might decide to jump aboard if they felt they had a legitimate chance at a national title run.....?
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Hmmm.....what about the possibility that we would get more West Coast participation in general SCCA events? There are a LOT of guys racing on the West Coast who aren't running with SCCA today (ICSCC, for example); I wonder how many of them might decide to jump aboard if they felt they had a legitimate chance at a national title run.....?
    It's entirely possible. Like I said, only one way to tell.

From what I have heard, people on the West Coast left SCCA for reasons other than the Runoffs being to far of a tow.

It's entirely possible. Like I said, only one way to tell.

From what I have heard, people on the West Coast left SCCA for reasons other than the Runoffs being to far of a tow.
    People left scca in the Pacific Northwest because Icscc offers a better regional road racing experience, cheaper and more competition, caters to the members as it is a member run organization. Most people up here do not feel that they would have a legitimate shot at a national title, thus there is no reason for them to race scca races when it costs as much as a season of racing in Icscc as it does to run the one race at the runoffs.

If people do feel they have a shot up here they go to the runoffs already, however with the move to the west coast you are going to get more field fillers like ourselves who will go down there and have a shot at a top ten finish. I think the hope is that by rotating the event you add more field fillers from across the country and that those field fillers are forced to run other scca events to get to run the runoffs as field fillers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information