Thread: Majors Talent

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Default Majors Talent

I might not have been able to keep up with the middle pack but I wanted to have the chance at least. After the race I said to the guy sarcastically "Thanks for finally speeding up" He took it as a compliment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qn1T...yer_detailpage

Liked: 48

Quote Originally Posted by veeracer98 View Post
    I might not have been able to keep up with the middle pack but I wanted to have the chance at least. [/URL]
    Right from the green flag your competition checked out. You needed to close the gap more and be on the power earlier before the start finish line. Can't blame the FF for the first half of the first lap.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 144

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lenhart View Post
    Right from the green flag your competition checked out. You needed to close the gap more and be on the power earlier before the start finish line. Can't blame the FF for the first half of the first lap.
    Don't want to start a class war, but...screwing up the start somehow justifies a guy driving an FF slower than a Vee?? I'm trying really hard to figure out why a guy with that little ability believes he should be racing at the National level.

Liked: 14

Wrong to assume talent is the issue. I have raced against that car before and he is quick (much quicker then FV's at any level). Can only assume something was wrong with the car.

Liked: 144

Why would anyone in a FF NOT be quicker than a Vee at any level? I'll take your word for his ability, but if you watch his lines, they are erratic and inconsistent and do not appear to be caused by anything mechanical...but you never know unless you are in the car. I watched the video again to see if maybe he was stuck in 4th gear or something, but he accelerates out of the corners well, it just appears that he doesn't get back on the throttle very quickly and misses several apexes - perhaps a steering issue??

Personally, if my car was having that much difficulty, I would pull to the side, put it on cruise control, collect my points, and not get involved in anyone else's race.

Liked: 174

Agitator,

I can't agree more with your opinion. A FF with only 4th gear shouldn't have any problems
    with an FV, and yet several were out qualified by the leading vee's. I had no 3rd gear the entire weekend, and yet there was a FF only one position in front of me, and during the
    Sat. race, he proceeded to hold up four vee's for nearly seven laps. Some driver's have no
    clue about what is going on around them and try racing cars from different classes. I was also having trouble with my car and did pull it off the track after 10 laps because I didn't want to screw up others race. Also, if you're driving that slow it shouldn't be hard to drive the proper lines etc.......

Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Mark,

That's also my biggest gripe. The guy in the FF I battled with had no clue I was there. Asked me what car I was, color, number, class, he had no idea even though I got ahead of him at a few points. Guess we are just lowly F vees (sorry couldn't resist). Most F Ford guys know what they are doing and have a good perception of who is around them.

Dave

Liked: 4

I was in that race in a FF (#40) and couldn't believe how many times I lapped him. I don't know if it was driver or a mechanical problem but, after Saturdays race the Cheif Stewart should have parked him. Isn't there a 110% rule. For FF that would be about a 1:40.3 lap.
    Ed

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by johnannz View Post
    Wrong to assume talent is the issue.
    I don't know dude, based on that video, lack of talent or awareness of his surroundings appears to be the main issue.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.16 at 12:38 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Several times he nearly had the car sideways and almost hit Dave on the run-up to the Key-hole at one point. He should enter a few more regionals and get his car sorted before trying the nationals, because drivers are attempting to make the Runoff's and don't need to lose points as a result of poor driving.

Mark

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

i know of the driver in question.................he has a great car...............i believe this was his first time at Mid Ohio...............maybe his first National..................none of which excuses his atrocious vehicular placement

he certainly seems to lack situational awareness.....................my recommendation is that "you guys" speak with him at the next opportunity.......................i am suprised you did not "nudge" him.................i think i would have.........really
    Last edited by provamo; 06.04.13 at 9:55 AM. Reason: word choice

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Bad Charma

Unless you complain to the Stewart as a group nothing will be done about the problem. The clubs are to interested in the entry $$$$.

Al: Is that Jackie Stewart you're speaking about?

Mark

Liked: 81

Default Before attacking the driver in question..

Maybe y'all should try and speak with him. Help him to understand where he can improve and how. Maybe show them the in car video and point on the screen where he should be or even, just show him where you are in relation to where he is on track. THAT IS WHAT HELPS TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO IMPROVE IN RACING. Before jumping on him online and saying things like "I don't see why this guy thinks he should be racing at a national level" you should give those things a try. I'm pretty sure that whether this guy is a rookie or not he deserves for someone to teach him or help him when he is clearly struggling. I'm sure that this person has the potential to learn and improve.

There was a driver at the last SCCA race down here. He was a rookie. He told me he only has to do two regional races in order to get a national license. He was also going to be running the June Sprints this month, after only two SCCA races. I remember I had to have six races signed off on a novice permit. And at that I didn't get signed off to start after my sixth race. Which was okay with me because I wasn't ready.

I used to be that Formula F driver that was running with the FV's in my region. They worked to teach me where to be and how to be faster. Sure I got in their way at times. That pushed me to get better and it pushed them to help me improve. It's been a few years since I last raced with FV's, but still I started there and I learned everything I know from being that slow and racing with them.

Just some food for thought.

-Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF10
    Last edited by sauce_racer; 06.04.13 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Thread Information