Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Default Swing axle boot - which kit?

Hi:

I noticed surface cracks on the swing axle boots of my transmission. So I ordered this replacement kit:
    http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...-111-598-021-A

I chose it mainly because it said genuine VW, and after all it was the most expensive... I received it today and I am a bit surprised. It is a bit shorter than the one I had before, the rubber is a bit harder and the fasteners are very small (and they're not lock nut). As well, the tightening clamps are very, very basic.

Do people use these boots, at all? Looking back, it seems this is the model that came with my FV: http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...-111-598-021-A
    Half the price, but at least they've done well over 3 seasons, with no issue. They could probably do another one for that matter.

Which kit do people use out there?

Jean
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Liked: 50

There are at least 4 manufactures making them. I can't tell for sure which those are. The ones have carried most often are made in Germany, but not stamped VW. We have also had a few Chinese ones that were also pretty good. We haven't heard any complaints. (There are also ones that don't use the screw clamp, but a different type of clamp. (We have some but don't sell them unless they are requested.) BTW, I don't know what the current US/CAN exchange rate is, but those appear pretty expensive.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

Hi Jim:

Thanks for the reply. The ones I got have that clamp, not the screw type. I guess I could reuse the screw clamps that came with the old ones... I might just have to order the $10 models, based on the pictures they look identical to the ones I have been using.

The current US/CAD exchange is pretty much on par these days, but the prices never get updated to reflect this. Typically it is cheaper to order from Canada, because of the border fees with the US. Though I have to say it's hit and miss with border fees.
    Anything less than $60 shipped with USPS does not seem to be taxed too bad. But this forces you to make small orders. I just got a set of spindles from Tennessee and they didn't get overcharged at the border. But it took 2 weeks to get here.

I placed an order from CIP on Monday morning and had the parts by Friday.

If I were to order a pair of the $10 models, it would cost me $34 shipped to my door, all costs included.

Jean

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    There are at least 4 manufactures making them. I can't tell for sure which those are. The ones have carried most often are made in Germany, but not stamped VW. We have also had a few Chinese ones that were also pretty good. We haven't heard any complaints. (There are also ones that don't use the screw clamp, but a different type of clamp. (We have some but don't sell them unless they are requested.) BTW, I don't know what the current US/CAN exchange rate is, but those appear pretty expensive.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Thread Information