Liked: 10

Default CM FF Purchase Price Range?

It may be time for me to abandon CM for a stock class car after 25 years. I'm getting slower and CM is not exactly popular anywhere close to NC. Plus the sites are not CM friendly (People YES ) However, I have no idea what is a reasonable price for the car and "stuff".

What approximate prices have recent CM guys paid for their cars and how much additional work/$$$ have been needed after purchase to make them reliable and healthy? Also what extras like good wheels and gears have typically been part of the deal?

I've owned mine since 1991 and it is HEALTHY and has lots of good wheels, springs, etc. However, it doesn't have super high $$$ shocks (Koni 3011s), an aluminum head, new crank, or cast pistons. Therefore it is hard to compare with a car like Brandon's (formerly Nick's) or Doug's (formerly Peter's, or Sho's (formerly Jim Garry's).

Thanks,

Dick
    85 VD
    CM 85

Liked: 9

Dick, say it's not so. When was the last time you drove a regular car in an autocross?
    We have had 3 cars purchased out here in the last 2 yrs. Two of them had some good points and still cost $3K or more after purchase at around $10K. Mine was listed at $15K and dropped to $10K and turned out to be a good deal, only needing tires. So, because your car is ready to autocross and assuming it is in good shape, it is probably worth $12K or so, but...not sure you will be able to get it.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Dick, say it's not so. When was the last time you drove a regular car in an autocross?
    We have had 3 cars purchased out here in the last 2 yrs. Two of them had some good points and still cost $3K or more after purchase at around $10K. Mine was listed at $15K and dropped to $10K and turned out to be a good deal, only needing tires. So, because your car is ready to autocross and assuming it is in good shape, it is probably worth $12K or so, but...not sure you will be able to get it.
    Mark
    Mark,

Thanks for the input. My last "non CM" autocross was an EVO school last Fall in my stock Mustang 5.0 automatic on all seasons. Actually more fun than I expected but not what I could look forward to even with better tires. I would "need" a real sports car to make driving to events even worth the drive.

Dick

Liked: 3

Sorry to hear you're thinking of selling Dick. You'll certainly be missed if you do leave.

I paid $6K, put another 3K in it to prepare it for autocross and another $1k for a second set of wheels. Non-adjustable Bilsteins, I know nothing about the motor other than part of the 3K was removing and repairing a bad crank that was damaged due to poor initial assembly by the previous owner. So about $10k for a car that is under prepped for the class.

Agree with comments...Dick, we'd be very sad to see you leave the class.

I have right at $11.5 into mine, not including the set of Panasports I just bought. It has good points, but the motor is an unknown quantity. Frankly, I paid too much, given the motor and initial assembly issues that I needed to fix. I think a well prepped, clean car with no excuses is probably right at $10-12k or so, depending on spares, of course...unless it has a current national motor, is fully restored/new parts, remote can Penskes or Konis and multiple wheel sets, then you're easily in the $15-17k range.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Anyone in Raleigh that can talk some sense into the man???

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Anyone in Raleigh that can talk some sense into the man???
    I'm working on "him"

This is just "what if" at this point.

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post
    I'm working on "him"

I am relieved to hear that!
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

I'm working on "him"

Take on a co-driver Dick. It will allow you to spread your knowledge, add a friend to your friends list, and you'll have a ready buyer when you make the decision to sell your car twenty years from now!

Quote Originally Posted by george schilling View Post
    Take on a co-driver Dick. It will allow you to spread your knowledge, add a friend to your friends list, and you'll have a ready buyer when you make the decision to sell your car twenty years from now!
    That's a good idea. I vote "yes"

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys!

Test drove an FR-S today (low key in traffic and freeway). Nice car like my 260Z was back in the day but much faster, safer, and luxurious, of course. Not at all sure I'm ready to give up CM and towing in order to drive to/from events in a sports car and then go slower.

Status quo for now.

Dick

Liked: 6

Status quo for now. Dick
    Hooray!
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 102

Just look at it this way: You already have your mid-life crisis car.

Plus, there are many more things that you can do with a FF than most of us ever try. Car shows and drag racing come to mind immediately. A mid-12 second pass on 110 hp will astound the crowd.

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by george schilling View Post
    I would also do what Mwizard has done at local events. During fun runs, offer a drive for $10 bucks a lap and see if you can convince more people in your region to get a CM car.

It's been working out here so far...

Thread Information