Liked: 190

Default Borland Sabre FV 1600 - Did You Know?

The guys who build the Spectrum F1600, Borland Racing Development, also build a very successful FV 1600 called the Sabre. Sure wish the USD to AUD exchange was a little more in our favor. Love to see some of the cars make it to the US market.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 08.01.14 at 6:29 PM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 302

From the website, a roller is near 40K Australian, at near 1:1 exchange rate, that is a high priced FV! Looks nice though...

Barry,

That's pretty close to the going rate in OZ for a new rolling chassis from Jacer, Stinger or Sabre. It doesn't seem to bother their grids very much as the economy seems to be pretty strong in OZ.

Here is a recent grid shot of the CAMS equivalent of a "regional" at the former Eastern Creek in NSW (Sydney area). Seems to be well attended.
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

Yes, it appears they have a very nice FV series "down under". The cars appear pretty darn fast from the few vids I have watched.

Regards,
    Barry
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.04.13 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Removed and relocated partial of post

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    Bill,

Yes, it appears they have a very nice FV series "down under". The cars appear pretty darn fast from the few vids I have watched.

Regards,
    Barry
    My understanding is that they run a 1600cc engine without intake restrictor...maybe Bill can comment to that.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default 2 classes in OZ

Stan,

Great request.

CAMS gave their last homologation for FV 1200 in 2003 and all new cars must be FV 1600 (the CAMS class name for FST). Also starting in 2003, FV 1200 is mandated to use a large diameter (high flow) spec intake manifold and allowed (optional) disc brakes used by FV 1600 (as I understand, all FV 1200 cars have switched to disc).

FV 1600 uses the same spec cam as SCCA FV, FST is slightly improved (found better consistency and less $$$). FV 1600 uses a smaller 28 mm restrictor and a belted fan system killing any real power above 5500 RPM. FST is belt-less and 32 mm restrictor. FST power band is toast after 6200 RPM. Generally speaking, FST has higher top speed, but FV 1600 has a min. post race weight of 1000lbs (125 lighter than FST)

Both FV 1200 and 1600 used a spec 15" Dunlop tire on 6" max width wheels. These are basically the same tires used here by a clear majority of FV vintage racers.

In most CAMS club races, 80% is FV 1600 and 20% is FV 1200. FV 1200 tends to be the entry/starter class (of the two) due to market driven lower cost for used cars.

Both CAMS classes are parts interchangeable (by design), same with SCCA FV and FST
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

From those specs, it would seem the FST would be much faster than the F1600 (32 Vs 28mm restrictor, no belt Vs belt, slicks Vs treaded tires). I guess the video's I watched are deceiving as the F1600 looked really fast. Or, maybe I'm confusing them with another V class, maybe the Brits or someone else. I don't really remember which videos I watched that gave me that impression.

Heck, given the very close lap times of FV Vs FST cars, I would think our 1200 powered FV cars would be faster...

Oh, are the transmissions the same? Restricted to std VW gears?
    Last edited by BLS; 05.05.13 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Question

Bill,

From those specs, it would seem the FST would be much faster than the F1600 (32 Vs 28mm restrictor, no belt Vs belt, slicks Vs treaded tires).
    I think the US FST is slightly quicker, but with the FV 1600 at 125 lbs. less and sticky Dunlop tires (don't let those treads fool you), it's not that much different. People always think slicks are stickier. Compound is the factor to consider. We run hard slicks.

I guess the video's I watched are deceiving as the F1600 looked really fast. Or, maybe I'm confusing them with another V class, maybe the Brits or someone else. I don't really remember which videos I watched that gave me that impression.
    My bet is the UK FV is what you were thinking. 95+ HP from a 1300 cc @ 1,025 lbs. will make a quick car. Threw a photo of the UK cars at the bottom of the post just for fun.

Heck, given the very close lap times of FV Vs FST cars, I would think our 1200 powered FV cars would be faster...
    Could be, I'd love to get some front running FV's and FST's on the same track at the same time. Looks like that will start happening in 2014

Oh, are the transmissions the same? Restricted to std VW gears?
    FST and FV 1600 use the same spec VW gears (single gearbox) while the FV and FV 1200 share the same gearing options.
    Bill Bonow

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I think I was confusing the British cars with their "cousins" downunder...

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    The guys who build the Spectrum F1600, Borland Racing Development, also build a very successful FV 1600 called the Sabre. Sure wish the USD to AUD exchange was a little more in our favor. Love to see some of the cars make it to the US market.
    Bill
    You got your wish.
    The Aussie dollar was US$1.10 a couple of years ago, and is now around US$0.72. All our economic optimists are saying it could fall down to around US$0.60.
    Jacers and Sabres will be a good deal.
    Ray
    Last edited by Rayzor; 02.23.16 at 10:30 PM.

Ray,

Here is a great HD video of both cars for all to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ARcLInuIg
    Bill Bonow

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

WOW!!! thats racing guys and girls

Bob
    That was one of our less interesting races. It didn't provide anything like what happened in the picture.
    Nice circuit, don't you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0H2A2971.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	59564  
    Last edited by Rayzor; 03.02.16 at 6:48 PM.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

What a pastoral scene with an airplane skywriting and cows in the background

The cows were the paying spectators.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 50

Base up that exhaust smoke, I think his jetting is a bit rich..
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Thread Information