Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Richard

Race Monitor shows bonus results... Osborne, Cooper, Loshak, Beauchamp, Mayer, Vardis, Thielman, Ash, Bell, Novak, Ott
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    Does anyone have FULL results from the second Bonus Race on Sunday?
    http://www.scca.com/events/results.cfm?eid=5407
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Thanks Mike....

Results posted below for everyone else to see.........
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 553

Default New FB track record

I noticed this on the results page:

New Track Record (2:08.541) for FB by J.R. Osborne

I watched JR be fast at Road Atlanta last month, only to have oddball issues. It's good to see him get a rewarding finish

Any news about new engines being used?

Liked: 33

I want to say thanks to JR and the other drivers that helped point out the oil. I thought I saw something on the surface but it is a bit tricky with the cars going right over it. Then saw JR point down and was like yep, and once the field went by ran out and almost slipped it was that bad. The oil went from at least turn 7 all the way down to Turn 10.

Does anyone have any video of the restart after the clean up? It looked like you guys were driving thru a snow storm coming down into turn 8.

Sorry I didn't get to stop by and say hi to anyone, we were busy this weekend and every day our lunch break got cut short due to having to get back on schedule.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Quote Originally Posted by TrackBrat View Post
    Does anyone have any video of the restart after the clean up? It looked like you guys were driving thru a snow storm coming down into turn 8.
    I do, but it will take some time to edit and upload on my 486 pentium 1...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Liked: 151

Default June Sprints @ Road America

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

I'm not sure what they were tracking for an old lap record but Brandon did a 2:07.543 in the race at the 2012 runoffs and a 2:07.797 at the 2010 runoffs.

Fastest timed lap is a 2:06.1xx from 2011.

According to Facebook there were new motors there.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

I watched JR be fast at Road Atlanta last month, only to have oddball issues. It's good to see him get a rewarding finish

Yeah, definitely not a new FB record. The track was slow for all classes I could see.

I'm sporting a 2011 Kawi ZX10R engine, first time out w/ it.
    In typical Coop fashion, I had never even driven it and only started it for the first time the day prior to loading it up for the trip north.

Liked: 896

A great result for all your hard work. Congrats Coop.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1432

Runoffs track records and track records are separate. Lame, I know. When I set what I thought was the track record in FF I was later told it was the Runoffs Record and not the track record. I asked "What is the difference" and the answer I got was "It's the Runoffs." Yeah....but it is on the same track!

So, by those standards Brandon has the Runoffs Record and JR has the Track Record.

Pretty lame.

Liked: 14

the Kawi has crazy power.

my engines blew up on both races, yup, vented two K5's this past weekend, tragic, but didnt drop oil on track even though the rod flew out of the engine both times causing fire, thanks to track safety I still have a car.

I stood on the inside of T3 during race 2 yesterday and i can tell that the kawi is a monster, it was great standing so close to the cars with no fencing in between, Steve Ott was sidelined a few hundred yards from me in the Astra, we both got a great view. JR Citation is so fast in the corners, really awesome to watch

My first thought on Kawipower is it's all on top, and sacrifices off corner grunt, which is shown on the dyno graphs. The 07/08 Suzuki's make quite a bit more torque.
    The final drive gearing differences between the Suzi and the Kawi have the Kawi w/ THREE teeth less on the rear sprocket in order to acheive revving out into T5 and Canadia corner.

As to your engine issue, I would assume/hope/believe that you have read through all of our travails over the last few years and have taken appropriate action to assure engine longevity:

New style/front oil pickup on wet pan OR dry sump only to assure adequate OP on decel.

Shift at 12k, and OK to run to 12,500 or there-abouts for just a few seconds, staying off the rev limiter which stretches the rod bolts allowing bearing clearances to open up and BOOM!

Download data after each session to ensure OP is not getting out of line.

Life fresh engines accordingly - I use 8 races, which is a season or more to some folks.

If major overheating occurs - pull engine as it will let go quite soon afterwards. I'm no engine expert, but I am leaning heavily towards immediately taking the cyl head off as soon as possible after an overheat episode and replacing the head gasket. Even then it might not be enough, but it seems to me that the engine's really suffer and are possibly tweaking the head gasket as it cools off from being majorly hot.

Keep water and oil temps in check. If the water is getting over 200 or so measured at the rad outlet, it's not going to be happy, and is most likely going to get very expensive.
    The sidepods on the VD's are really small. On my first car, now Mike B's ride, the first weekend out Mike Devins of HRP began development of the sidepod floors and tops, and is THE go-to guy for Nova Diemen body bits.
    That issue is huge on those cars...

JR Osborne has usually been the fastest at each round of the US Formula 1000 Championship East presented by Hoosier Racing Tires, Sunoco Race Fuels, George Dean Racing Engines, Jongbloed Racing Wheels, Hyperco, LS Motorsports, Geartronics, and Neo Sport Camera, with four poles this season, but it wasn’t until Sunday that he was able take the checkered flag and break Lawrence Loshak’s three race winning streak. Rounds 7 and 8, held as part of the Chicago Region June Sprints were no different as Osborne scored the pole for both races with a fast lap of 2:08.004. In the race, Osborne held the lead over Loshak, Steve Ott, and Brian Novak for the first two laps but a Sports racer crash in the kink brought out a full course caution. During the ensuing caution laps, another Sports racer blew an engine, dropping oil from turn 5 to just past the carousel which prompted officials to bring the field to pit lane so crews could clean the track. While the field sat on pit lane for 35 minutes, crews inspected every inch of the four mile track and officials decided that the remainder of the race would be a four lap sprint. When the race finally restarted, Osborne parked just past turn one with an electrical problem. This left Loshak in the lead, being hounded by Ott and Novak. Loshak prevailed for the third time in a row and was joined on the podium by Ott and Novak.

Full results-Race 7:
    1. Lawrence Loshak
    2. Steve Ott
    3. Brian Novak
    4. Glenn Cooper
    5. Mike Beauchamp
    6. Alex Mayer
    7. Nicho Vardis
    8. Chris Ash
    9. Jason Bell
    10. JR Osborne
    11. Tyler Thielmann
    dnf Juan Marchand

Fastest race lap: Brian Novak- 2:10.989

Prize Payout-Race 7:
    1st Place - Lawrence Loshak - 4 Hoosier Tires, 1 pair Hyperco Springs, $100 Jongbloed Certificate, $750 Geartronics certificate
    2nd Place – Steve Ott - 2 Hoosier Tires, $50 Hyperco Certificate, $500 Geartronics certificate
    3rd Place – Brian Novak - 1 Hoosier Tire, $25 Hyperco Certificate, $75 Jongbloed Certificate, $250 Geartronics certificate
    5th Place – Mike Beauchamp - $50 Jongbloed Certificate

Pole – JR Osborne (2:08.004) - 1 Hoosier tire
    Random drawing – JR Osborne - 1 Hoosier tire
    Sunoco Hard Charger Award – Steve Ott - $150.00 cash (moved up 9 positions)

On Sunday, Osborne would finally get the monkey off his back and led the entire race from flag to flag. Behind him there was plenty of action as Glenn Cooper, Lawrence Loshak, and Brian Novak all battled for the second and third steps on the podium. Ott got another fantastic start and looked like he might join the fight but had a spin in turn 3 which ended his race. Later, Novak experienced a stuck throttle and his race ended in the turn 14 sand trap. With two laps to go, Loshak dropped off the pace and handed second place to Cooper. Loshak was able to stay ahead of Mike Beauchamp at the end and claimed the final podium spot.

Full results-Race 8:
    1. JR Osborne
    2. Glenn Cooper
    3. Lawrence Loshak
    4. Mike Beauchamp
    5. Alex Mayer
    6. Nicho Vardis
    7. Tyler Thielmann
    8. Chris Ash
    9. Jason Bell
    10. Brian Novak
    dnf Steve Ott
    dnf Juan Marchand

Fastest race lap: JR Osborne: 2:08.541

Prize Payout-Race 8:
    1st Place - JR Osborne - 4 Hoosier Tires, 1 pair Hyperco Springs, $100 Jongbloed Certificate, $750 Geartronics certificate
    2nd Place – Glenn Cooper - 2 Hoosier Tires, $50 Hyperco Certificate, $500 Geartronics certificate
    3rd Place – Lawrence Loshak- 1 Hoosier Tire, $25 Hyperco Certificate, $75 Jongbloed Certificate, $250 Geartronics certificate
    5th Place – Alex Mayer- $50 Jongbloed Certificate

Pole – JR Osborne (2:08.004) - 1 Hoosier tire
    Random drawing – Alex Mayer- 1 Hoosier tire
    Sunoco Hard Charger Award – Tyler Thielmann - $150.00 cash (moved up 3 positions)

Special Prizes for June Sprints Weekend!

In addition to the standard prizes, this weekend also featured some additional prizes based on cumulated points total between the two races:
    Highest point total: Lawrence Loshak – $400 courtesy of Gridsport and BW Racing and $250 courtesy of ETE Reman
    2nd highest point total: JR Osborne-$250 courtesy of Gridsport and BW Racing
    3rd highest point total: Glenn Cooper- $175 courtesy of Gridsport and BW Racing
    4th highest point total: Mike Beauchamp- $125 certificate courtesy of Gridsport and BW Racing and $200 courtesy of ETE Reman
    5th highest point total: Alex Mayer- $100 certificate courtesy of Gridsport and BW Racing and $175 courtesy of ETE Reman
    6th highest point total: Nicho Vardis- $150 courtesy of ETE Reman

There was also a random drawing for a $200 credit to Hurley Racing Products that was won by Nicho Vardis.
    Finally, Mike Beauchamp won the Neo Sport Camera in a random draw.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

"Finally, Mike Beauchamp won the Neo Sport Camera in a random draw."

cough (rigged) cough cough.

Watching from T5, you guys put on a great show. By far the best sounding engines of the weekend.

Glenn I talked to Dean last night and I explained to him how the engine started getting tight going up the hill to T1, it felt at first as small misfires, small ignition cuts, I thought I can drive through this, kept my eyes on the gauges and everything was ok, I kept my foot in it. Totally inexperienced in this class, i killed two engines when it couldve been prevented. The engine cutting off is not always associated with ignition or lack of fuel, it can also be the beginning of the end, as connecting rod journals start welding away when the bearing clearances open up, seizing and boom. Glenn asked all the right questions, the pan is the latest Rilltech, the temps were not in check under 200 at MidO a few weeks ago chasing Hill, the data showed 220+ for most of the race and ran with a detached header collector cyl #1 which is the same cylinder that failed, it doesnt make sense that the second engine of the weekend blew up in the same fashion, same cylinder. I did not replace the oil cooler but cleaned it well and found no debris. The only thing i found thus far is that the inner hub for the differential came loose and rear sprocket has a wobble to it, I dont think this alone could cause deadly harmonics, I dont buy that caused it. The Rpms have gone above 12.7 at times but never under a downshift and always in top gear. The main problem i see is that I've been racing against top level equipment and drivers, stuff is going to break while i learn.
    The first engine to let go had more than 8 races and was factory brand new, the second engine was from a ebay bike yard, very clean, no carbon on the valves, with steady 190 compression, i installed it overnight and had minutes running time before race 2, maybe 8 minutes. One thing I noticed with the second engine during the thrashing install, is that the shifter mechanism inside the engine felt really tight, had no click or springiness to it, but i kept on putting the car together, race against time at this point. Big thanks to Greg Moon, he came over to my T14 carport and checked the new engine harness because i had a no start situation with second motor, this is 30 minutes before the race, we swapped ecu and engine came to life. The rest is a blur. Im glad and happy that no oil was put on the track by me, the oil safety blanket and shield did a superb job, big thanks to the Chicago region workers who put out the fire twice.

ok back to the Kawi, hehehe, all I know is that Bryan and JR were driving the hell out of turn 3 to get a good launch, I can't see their hands but i know they are busy, Cooper didn't look as busy on entry or mid corner T3, I can see his hands well, I can tell things are smoother. The Kawi has a subtle tone to it, it is hard to say, but it is pulling the Gixxer for sure.

Liked: 16

Just a quick note of thanks to all of you that helped me out over the weekend. Front Range Motorsports had a spot in their trailer and made me a smoking deal to get my stuff out there and without them, I could not have made it.

Since the fire, I have been trying to fix electrical issues that were not consistent. The car would run good one session and then poorly the next. Every time I think it's fixed, the engine miss/shifting issues would pop up. For the race I replaced the ECU and ran a hard wire from the TPS sensor directly to the ECU. It seemed to work fine, but I'm not totally convinced it won't do it again.

Greg Moon from Moon's SuperCycle has been very diligent and available in helping me with any engine issues I come across. I'm very glad he is there to keep us going. I highly recommend his services. He, like George Dean, is focused on the car stuff and is definitely the go-to guy. The motor is very strong and with the trimmed out Citation, I'm at almost 150 mph in a draft!! Wow.

Nicholas Belling from Geartronics has again showed his great service continuing to assist in trying to diagnose the electrical gremlins at the track, even though he was buried working on customer cars. The shifter worked awesome during the race. I was able to brake so, so late and it would downshift without issue. They have the programming perfected. The system really helps with consistent lap times.

That was the first full race distance I have finished this year. I have traveled over 10,000 miles to races just to DNF. I'm just so relieved to get this finish.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support. This is a great racing community and I'm proud to be a part of it.

J.R.O

Liked: 16

Default Oops

I still am wore out and totally spaced to give a shout out to Mike Devins at HRP. Because this was a last minute race for me, I had no mechanic.

I spoke with Mike to see if he would have some time to help me get me in the car. Not only did he belt me up, he hung out most of the weekend and made himself totally available to helping me with fixing things and working on the car.

Heck, he even fed me dinner. Mike is from the Sports Racer sided of things and does great composite work. He is working on wing packages for the F1000's as well and I hope to do some testing soon with them.

Again, another guy that loves the sport and is a great resource to help keep us going on track.

Thank you Mike!!!!

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

You are welcome JR. And congrats to everyone else who was there and putting in the effort that it takes to field one of the these cars. Great Class and great group of racers!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Mike and all the rest , excellent job , looking forward to September!!!!

cool cars, if you don't want your picture on apexspeed, let me know, i will remove it...

and why is JR thanking me?

right about then JR was probably thinking "isn't that my umbrella?

Liked: 114

Default SAT Race Group Coming to Green Flag

Ditto on JR's comment re: mike Devin!
    Last edited by pepperbowe; 10.03.13 at 11:24 PM.

Liked: 8

Default June Sprints @ Road America

Congrats To JR car looked great as well as the rest of FB nation. See everyone at WG .... a lot for me to get worked out with the car prior but looking forward to it. Hope to meet everyone else there that I didn't get to meet. This weekend was pretty nerve racking for me and the issues we had didn't help matters but I still had a gear time and am glad to be here.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

one more thought on the weekend, compliments to the race stewarts for not ending the race at the black flag. I have seen a number of occasions where races have been shortened, they could have changed the race to 11 laps and taken the group out for one caution lap and called it a day.

Thank you for letting it be a race to the finish and not the letting the clock determine the race.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    one more thought on the weekend, compliments to the race stewarts for not ending the race at the black flag. I have seen a number of occasions where races have been shortened, they could have changed the race to 11 laps and taken the group out for one caution lap and called it a day.

Thank you for letting it be a race to the finish and not the letting the clock determine the race.
    Very true Mike! I was very surprised they gave us that many laps to go at it after such a long delay. Big thanks to the stewards!

Default "Tale of the Tails"

L-o-n-g black flags even bore crew people, especially if they have a camera in hand

So for you eagle eyes - what is different about one of the images??
    Last edited by pepperbowe; 10.10.14 at 9:54 PM.

Liked: 348

#6 was taken from driver's left. All the rest from driver's right.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Default Sharp Eye

Hey Peter, you caught it !! I think he had pitted the lap before black flag and was against the inside pit wall............

Liked: 309

Ha! With all due respect to Peter, only one of them has the SCCA side sticker.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

With all due respect to Stan, the illustration on page 104 of the GCR does not show the SCCA side sticker on the end plate of a winged formula car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Ha! With all due respect to Peter, only one of them has the SCCA side sticker.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

The giveaway was the word images. You didn't say cars, so I went looking for composition differences, not specifics of the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    #6 was taken from driver's left. All the rest from driver's right.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Coop's is the only one that you would need a color TV to know what color the numbers are.

Default Tyler T!

I said those mailbox letters were good for ONE event only!

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    With all due respect to Stan, the illustration on page 104 of the GCR does not show the SCCA side sticker on the end plate of a winged formula car.
    My sidepods aren't big enough!

Default By "sidepod" you mean?

That definitely is NOT the rumor goin' around (Big Fella)...

Liked: 0

I see only one car has its diffuser ending right under the trailing edge of its wing. All others before. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Lawrence Loshak
    '13 FB & HP National Champion
    '10 DSR National Champion
    '06 EP National Champion

Liked: 8

Default Dyno Back To Back GSXR 1000 20 HP Positive

We stayed a couple of days in WI so we could back to back the Dyno Runs for the two motors I own. The motor sold with the new Stohr car and another motor i purchased from NB both are GD Motors.

The motor that i ran over the weekend was 20 HP !! Less than the motor we just purchased that looked fresh and rebuilt. I could have used that 20 HP.

Any thoughts.

J Bell
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Default What/Who is NB?

Was the engine that came in the car a freshened unit, or a known, good, low mile stocker, wha?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information