Liked: 1417

For the sake of speed, I decided to post this here:

U.S. F2000 ANNOUNCES TELEVISION PACKAGE

FAIRFIELD, N.J, March 22, 2001

The U.S. F2000 National Championship has continued its relationship with the Speedvision Network for 2001, with exclusive television rights and series presenting sponsorship for the 14-race Championship going to the Stamford, Conn.-based television network.

In 2001, 10 of the 14-race schedule will be televised, beginning with the March 3 season-opener at the Homestead-Miami Speedway on the 2.21-mile road course, which has an initial air date of Monday, May 21 at 10:00 p.m. For each U.S. F2000 broadcast, the Speedvision Network will produce and air one-hour programs to be broadcast in prime-time slots on a tape-delayed basis. Derek Daly and Rick Benjamin have been slated as the commentators, with Sandy Heng and Guy Hobbs as the pit reporters for all broadcasts.

"To maintain the growth and exposure of the U.S. F2000, a top-notch and dedicated television package is necessary, and we’re happy to continue our relationship with the Speedvision Network," said Dan Andersen, series co-owner. "While we are disappointed that the entire 14-race schedule will not be televised, due to various circumstances, anyone who has ever seen a Speedvision race broadcast knows that there is no better coverage for motorsports in North America."

After the season-opener, each broadcast is scheduled for initial airing two to three weeks following the race, in prime-time slots between 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. (ET). Most broadcasts will be produced live-to-tape with onboard cameras to put the viewer in the driver’s seat with the best young talent in open-wheel racing today.

The Speedvision Network is America’s first and only cable network dedicated to automobile, aviation and marine information and entertainment. The 24-hour channel offers a wide-range of programming—from news and lifestyle products to historical documentaries, racing events and instructional shows—and has grown to a reach in excess of 40 million households.

[editorial]Maybe I am looking a gifthorse in the mouth, but with all of the boat and aviation programming on Speedvision (useless), it seems like the 3 month waiting period to watch a USProF2000 race at 10pm is like a slap in the face. They ran the same Arenacross event 4 times in the last week, and it wasn't even entertaining racing. I don't understand how these people who program their network actually keep their jobs. I wonder if they actually enjoy racing or motorsports at all? [/editorial]

Liked: 0

Along those same lines, what amazes me is that Speedvision is considered a headline sponsor of the series as well. You would think that they would take the broadcast of the series more seriously. With all the changes of late, one has to wonder about the future of USF2000...

TDR
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Contributing Member

Doug:

I love open wheel racing too, but I don't think there's much mystery why Speedvision sticks it on the "B" list of programming.

If they're smart, the folks who run Speedvision don't allow their own feelings about racing to obstruct the ultimate goal of the enterprise; making money. To make money, they need viewers to buy the products their advertisers shill. And that means a popular or entertaining sport.

Let's be candid about the amount of appeal our form of racing has for Joe Average. Probably very little, at best. Yes, it takes a lot of skill to drive a FF2000. True, there is a lot of strategy both on and off the track that takes place before a victory can be had. And certainly the technology appeals to the engineer and mechanic in all of us. But that means jack to most race fans, let alone the casual viewer.

Americans want spectacle, not substance. You probably couldn't fill a High School auditorium to watch world championship fencing or a chess tournament. But put some oiled-up WCW goons in a ring or smash some cars with ridiculous-looking trucks, then you've got something! BTW, I don't consider Winston Cup much better than big time wrestling, but look at the following it has!

So I guess we should be happy that the events are covered at all. In a country where the acronym "F1" doesn't mean anything to most people, some coverage is better than nothing!

[This message has been edited by Tom Johnson (edited March 22, 2001).]
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

I think the Speedvision TV coverage is week, ESPECIALLY for a series that they are promoting and putting their name on. I know that there has to be more of a following for SCCA sports car and formula car racing than there is for reruns of offshore powerboat events or how to restore your old airplane programs. Maybe I'm missing something, though. Those can't be profitable for advertising and viewership. If you are going to televise the race, even tape delayed, why wait 3 months in a 14 race season? They show the World rally Championships 6 months delayed!

And now that Fox has a gag order on the NASCAR PR, Speedvision should compensate even more with better US event coverage. I don't know why the Speedvision Cup, World Challenge events, Trans Am and others can generate relatively timely coverage, but the ProF2000 series is shuffled to the back of the bus.

Boy, would I like to start my own motorsports network.

Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar

Doug wrote: "Boy, would I like to start my own motorsports network."

That would be nice!

Here's another idea. How about remove the "Off Topic" forum and create a "Pro F2000" forum for topics such as this! haha

Very funny. You know, I just realized we are lucky to have Speedvision and ANY F2000 programming at all.

Thread Information