Liked: 30

Default Transmission Rules interpretation

8. Transmission/Final Drive
    A. Rear wheel drive only is permitted.
    B. The final drive ratio is unrestricted. Internal transmission gears shall remain stock.
    C. Cars may use sequentially shifted motorcycle transmissions. Reverse gear is not required.

Am I reading this correctly? Does this rule B 'require' the use of the standard transmission? Or at least using the standard gears even if they were re-located? If so, isn't the 'may' in C redundant?

Ian
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 04.07.13 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Font clean up in isle 2

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by ianashdown View Post
    B. The final drive ratio is unrestricted. Internal transmission gears shall remain stock.
    C. Cars may use sequentially shifted motorcycle transmissions. Reverse gear is not required.

Am I reading this correctly? Does this rule B 'require' the use of the standard transmission? Or at least using the standard gears even if they were re-located? If so, isn't the 'may' in C redundant?

Ian
    "B" Allows you to run any chain and sprockets that you would like. However no modifications to the factory gear box.

"C" essentially defines that a sequential transmission is legal and a reverse gear is not needed. This language kind of separates wording used as defined to other classes that must run a opperational reverse gear.

Default Transmission interpretation

It only states that the gears remain stock, doesn't say anything about its location etc.

Mentioning sequential shift seems redundant if you must use stock gears doesn't it!

Ian

Liked: 1871

Poorly written, but I'd warn strongly against even thinking about trying something other than the stock "normal" engine/transmission layout.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Damn

I guess I'm gonna have to put that Yosh Close Ratio 'box back on EBay

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default agreed

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Poorly written, but I'd warn strongly against even thinking about trying something other than the stock "normal" engine/transmission layout.

VERRRY poorly written

Liked: 0

The way it is written it is allowing a vehicle that is only driven by the rear wheels, but not requiring it. To require rear wheel drive it would need to say, "Only rear wheel drive is permitted".

Default Thanks for the clarification.

I was looking at the possibilities of a longitudinal engine re-using the 'stock' gears in a conventional transaxle layout.

There are interesting possibilities . . . Sorry 'were'!

Liked: 896

I was looking at the possibilities of a longitudinal engine re-using the 'stock' gears in a conventional transaxle layout.

There are interesting possibilities . . . Sorry 'were'!
    You would add close to 100lbs to the total weght of the car making it very tough to get to minimum weight.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1871

It is because of easy-to-twist wording like this - where the original writers intentions were to allow only motorcycle engine/transmission combos, but didn't write it that way - that I have stated a few times that the FB rules need the same sort of re-write that the FF/FC rules got before something gets out of hand.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    It is because of easy-to-twist wording like this - where the original writers intentions were to allow only motorcycle engine/transmission combos, but didn't write it that way - that I have stated a few times that the FB rules need the same sort of re-write that the FF/FC rules got before something gets out of hand.
    I do not agree Richard. I think that the current rules are well thought out with a couple of minor exceptions that can be very slightly reworded for additional clarification. I think that the complete rewrite of the FF and FC rules caused added concern and complication where this was not necessary. However I do agree that it was good that they combined the rules as that was the original intention of the project.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thread Information