Liked: 1

Default Quick annual tech question, help please!

I am hoping to go up to Gateway for my driver school for SCCA but the car has no annual tech and no log book. I got homolo papers already. I would be beyond bummed if I drove all the way up there and paid for hotels only to be turned away because of failing tech. Is there any reason a FM in good shape would fail? Do fire systems expire? Belts are July '13 expiration, so they're good for the April school.

Pics, in case anybody is willing to look at my chassis and see what they think.
    http://tinypic.com/a/2rr5y/2
    Last edited by Trey Range; 04.02.13 at 5:50 PM.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Liked: 68

I would strongly suggest finding the nearest tech inspector to your home. Call him/her and see if he/she would be willing to do an annual and issue a logbook before you go to the track. You absolutely do not want to deal with this at a drivers' school, even if there are no issues with the car.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    I would strongly suggest finding the nearest tech inspector to your home. Call him/her and see if he/she would be willing to do an annual and issue a logbook before you go to the track. You absolutely do not want to deal with this at a drivers' school, even if there are no issues with the car.
    I have been emailing tech inspectors and our regional director for weeks to no avail. Seems like the closest annual tech shop is ~3-4 hours each way from my place, and doing that somehow in the next 13 days and then taking the trip to Gateway is likely not possible. It has been very difficult to even get responses from eligible shops/inspectors. I started trying to get tech done roughly 3-4 weeks ago, and have only heard back from 2 inspectors, each of which is a pretty good haul away.

Located in Kingsport, TN for those of you that may know of an inspector that I have not contacted.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

so in general.....

It's a school, it doesn't count for anything, so legality really isn't in play (and usually isn't the responsibility of the SCCA tech anyway). so that leaves safety issues. It's a spec chassis. If not brand new (since it looks so very nice) did it have a previous annual, and if so, did you change anything?

Important stuff is good fire bottle, carb fittings, fuel and oil line conditions, good fuel cell, belt age and hardware, rod end washers, good bolts in critical locations, lack of leaks.

If you have all that, then the risk is pretty low that you wouldn't make it through with an annual. If something does come up, it's a school, and it would take something pretty heinous for someone to not issue a one-weekend waiver (a fix-it ticket).

Shiny and pretty is the way to get through tech. It can get you a less heavy handed look-over, since they figure you are careful and detail oriented. Nobody likes to tech a filthy car, and they always try to figure out what the filth might be hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    so in general.....

It's a school, it doesn't count for anything, so legality really isn't in play (and usually isn't the responsibility of the SCCA tech anyway). so that leaves safety issues. It's a spec chassis. If not brand new (since it looks so very nice) did it have a previous annual, and if so, did you change anything?

Important stuff is good fire bottle, carb fittings, fuel and oil line conditions, good fuel cell, belt age and hardware, rod end washers, good bolts in critical locations, lack of leaks.

If you have all that, then the risk is pretty low that you wouldn't make it through with an annual. If something does come up, it's a school, and it would take something pretty heinous for someone to not issue a one-weekend waiver (a fix-it ticket).

Shiny and pretty is the way to get through tech. It can get you a less heavy handed look-over, since they figure you are careful and detail oriented. Nobody likes to tech a filthy car, and they always try to figure out what the filth might be hiding.
    Thanks for the feedback. It is not brand new, but it has never been raced. To my knowledge it has been a DE toy for several years. It was never homologated (until I did last week). It was checked over thoroughly, because the important bolts all have paint marking the torque/alignment.

I am leaning towards going. I just had the body repainted 3 weeks ago, so the body looks mint.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Liked: 68

Another random thought - you might try contacting the chief of tech for the Gateway weekend. Let him know your situation ahead of time, and he's likely to be more helpful. He may tell you the things he's going to be looking for, and may also be better prepared to take the time to look over the car.

Under any circumstances, you're going to need to get a logbook, and he/she might not be expecting that at a drivers' school unless you give warning.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 145

Default Tech

Problem is you do not have a log book.

Find out if the tech inspector at the school can issue a log book.

Or if you need to get a replacement from National......I do not know the answer.

If possible arrange to get the car teched the evening before the school.

As for an annual tech I have not got one for the last 6 years. Yes it takes a little more time at the track, but guess what an extra pair of eyes going over your race car before each event is not a bad thing, especially if you are new to the sport and prepping your own car.

You will also need a 3/4 front and 3/4 rear photo of the car for your log book.

Goes without saying that all safety gear needs to be up to date and you need arm restraints.

Car should be spotless.

Good Luck

Liked: 2

Default Nice looking FM

Trey,
    If not already done you should safety wire the oil pan drain bolt and the transmission drain plug. In the Hillenburg fleet we typically safety wire the transmission oil fill plug to avoid complaint from scrutineering but it is not mandatory.

Suggest for personal safety you put the feet protector plate in the foot box (can get from Moses) if your belly tray is aluminum. It's a layer of protection to stop your feet hitting the track if you peel back the tray on an off track excursion.

Regards, Stuart

Liked: 2

Default First experience with SCCA

Trey,
    I did the school thing and had my car teched at the school a few years back. Had a logbook, but never went through the tech. I think Bob Clark at SCCA is the lead guy that can answer your questions, if he is leading your event. They were also training in new tech guys and they had a bunch of questions on the car. Here is what they "caught" me with, that might be something to look at.
    1. I missed packing Nomex sox. Ended up "renting" from another guy. If I did not have them, they would not let me on the track. So have ALL your safety gear, and look for SFI labels on your suit.
    2. The manual said there needs to be two springs on the throttle return. On this car there is one external and one inside the carb that is hidden.
    3. Fuel tank overflow looks to be a braided hose that drops down between the firewall an the engine. The GCR state is needs to discharge OUTSIDE the body work. I ended up having to run around and find a longer tube so it discharged outside the rear of the bodywork.
    4. you will need to cover exposed battery terminals.
    5. oil and water catch bottles need to be present. Vent off the trans top and crankcase vent. Do not see the vent off the oil filler, but may on the backside with the clear plastic tube.
    6. Water overflow must have a catch bottle. This and oil catchbottles are at the firewall on the small bracket that use a 1 qt rubbermaid juice bottle (4"w x4"wide x10" tall)

That is what I noticed from the photos.

For maintenance check the side cover nuts at each session-right side primarily
    check the inner CV joint allen head bolts. Both of these items seem to loosen up during a race or drive on a regular basis. I check all cv and side covers after each session.

Thanks for the input. Safety gear should be good to go, I have my suit, socks, balaclava, SA2005, Hans, and arm restraints. Interesting about the drain hose having to be braided, I'm almost certain mine is plastic. I am going to try to run through the inspection form on my own with the car this weekend and see what I come up with. Already talked to the St Louis SCCA folks and they're going to do everything they can to help. They said the car really should be fine since it is a FM.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Thread Information