Thread: third spring

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default third spring

Do any F1000 cars use a third spring?

Liked: 8

Default Not Needed?

I wonder if third (or heave) springs would be effective in FB.

The third spring is used primarily to maintain ride height on the car while aerodynamic pressures build. They keep the car a certain distance from the ground, while allowing the suspension elements to manage suspension movement in cornering and over uneven pavement. You get the benefit of very high wheel rates while allowing chassis compliance to keep the tires working and allowing the chassis to roll. As FB downforce does not come near enough to overpower two-element suspension systems, they are not required. Wheel rates high enough to manage downforces are still low enough to work the tires effectively.

The winning DSR from last year used third element suspension; it is also generating more than 1,500 pounds in downforce. I know of a couple of DSR's that, using two-shock setups, were essentially full on the bump stops at speed...you better have the tires warmed up for that experience!

What kind of downforce numbers does a FB generate? My guess is about 600 lbs. Wheel rates for that weight car with that amount of downforce are adequate; most of suspension compliance these days come from the tires any way. Anybody want to share their downforce numbers? What kind of wheel rates are you guys running? Pretty high I bet. My old cars (F4 weighed 650 lbs) were about 200 llbs back in the day as I remember and I used F-2000 wings on my car...pretty soft these days I am sure.

Third element with inerters is cool though!

Tom
    Last edited by brownslane; 04.03.13 at 9:27 AM.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 4

The Piper FF has one, it can't be making _that_ much downforce...
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Default Part of the Equation

True. Downforce/high wheel rates are only a part of the equation. If the designer wants to achieve low roll resistance from wheel rates, perhaps to build greater tuneability from arb's, a third spring may fit the bill. You get good pitch management and nice supple roll control. This doesn't overwork the tire and gives a wide performance envelope.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 2

The third spring is an option on all of the piper variants, I believe. Paging the Novaks!! Do you run the 3rd spring on your Piper?
    Ken

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by KenT View Post
    The third spring is an option on all of the piper variants, I believe. Paging the Novaks!! Do you run the 3rd spring on your Piper?

Yes.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Default Justin Pritchard's F1000 Car

Mouse Trap,
    Don Sievenpiper designed the Third Shock setup for Justin Pritchard's F1000 Piper as well as the set-up for our f1600 Piper. For further information on the design/engineering Don can be reached at jsievenpiper@aol.com

Paul
    Kautz Racing

www.kautzracing.com

Contributing Member

followup question: is anyone using an inerter?!

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pwd911s View Post
    Mouse Trap,
    Don Sievenpiper designed the Third Shock setup for Justin Pritchard's F1000 Piper as well as the set-up for our f1600 Piper. For further information on the design/engineering Don can be reached at jsievenpiper@aol.com

Paul
    Kautz Racing

www.kautzracing.com
    So am I looking at this right? Is it a torsion bar as third spring?
    Last edited by mousecatcher; 04.03.13 at 4:12 PM.

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    No, the third spring is the actual spring connected to each rocker with struts. The torsion bar is the fron anti-roll bar with ajustable blades connected to each rocker with a second pair of struts.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    No, it's a coil spring. If you look at the links going forward from rockers, 2 go to the anti-roll bar (furthest forward), and two go to a pivot (right under the parts tray). The 3rd spring connects to the center of the pivot bar, which can rock forward and backward at a pivot down on the bulkhead.

Edit: BWC54 beat me to it...
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 1

Hard to tell from the pic.....is there a damper with the 3rd spring?

Contributing Member

Ah, I see it now. Where's waldo.

Default 3rd shock

Mouse,
    The image attached might clear things up. This was our first go around, and it was taken during set-up and it wasn't complete when the shot was taken. Our current 3rd shock was redesigned to accommodate the new pedal box configuration and updates we did in the winter of 2011/2012. I've attached the image but it's minus any real detail.

Paul
    Kautz Racing
    www.kautzracing.com

Liked: 2

Has anyone ever tried to replace the third spring and damper with a type of an elastomer to reduce the weight? Jay, aren't you an elastomer kind of guy? Have you ever seen this done?
    Ken

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by KenT View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to replace the third spring and damper with a type of an elastomer to reduce the weight? Jay, aren't you an elastomer kind of guy? Have you ever seen this done?

Did it. It will work but requires great materials and it is not as easy to change rates as the usual materials are much too non-linear. Still very doable with the right materials & design. You might see something from us next year.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Yes, did it as well. Replaced the spring with a shock bump rubber. The piper set up is also a droop limiter. By using the rubber it allowed the adjustability of more droop

Liked: 84

ha...I have 4 springs.

Thread Information