Liked: 68

Default Vintage DSR Indentity

I ran across an add for the DSR shown in the attached photos. The owner has little to no information on the car as he says he "sort of inherited" the car. I have note seen the car first hand nor met the current owner. I just wanted to see if anyone recognized the car/chassis builder so I had a better idea of what I am looking at.

Car was last run in Solo II as a B-Mod car.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSR - 1.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	51689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSR - 2.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	51690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSR - 3.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	51691  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSR - 4.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	51692  
    Craig Butt

Liked: 1

Appears to be a LeGrand of some variety to my untrained eye.

The body is definitely Legrand, but the chassis is definitely NOT!
    Looks like a Kawasaki ZX-10 engine.

Chip Haddock

The owner claims the motor is a Kawasaki 1100 - no other particulars though.
    Craig Butt

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

That is definitely a zx10/11 motor from the early 90s. Any idea where and when it last ran? I do remember a car from socal that ran mid 90s at a few Las Vegas races, and in norcal at Sears Pt. It vaguely looks like this car.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Maybe you could have them look for the roll bar stamp?
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

The car is currently in Florida - not sure if it lived it's life there yet. The owner says there is a stamping in the rear frame, did not know if there are roll bar stamps. I am headed over to see it "live" tomorrow and should know more then.
    Craig Butt

Liked: 64

Where in FL? I'm down here on vacation and can take a look with you if a second set of eyes might help.

Just an offer,

Dan
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Single, center seat...not that old. Looks more like an old solo car. Had a couple up this way about 15 yrs back.

Bob L.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lipperini Jr View Post
    Where in FL? I'm down here on vacation and can take a look with you if a second set of eyes might help.

Just an offer,

Dan
    Thanks Dan. It's over on the east coast - I'm going to squeeze in a look between the end of a meeting and a flight out tomorrow, so timing will be tight, but thanks for the offer.
    Craig Butt

I had a chance to look at the car firsthand yesterday. It appears to have been constructed off a monocoque FSV chassis, but I couldn't find a chassis tag nor a roll bar stamp. I did find one numbers block on the chassis (pictured below). I took a few cell phone pictures of the suspension/chassis hoping it might register with someone. It is s "relatively" short wheelbase car at just over 80".

Name:	Number Plate.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	51727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Roll Hoop Bracing.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	51728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Bulkhead-Suspension.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	51729  

Name:	RF Suspension.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	51730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF Upright-blury.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	51731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR Suspension.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	51732  

Name:	RR Upright.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	51733  
    Craig Butt

Liked: 5

Default DSR

The car is a modified 1978 Wheeler FSV. I'm not sure of the S/N since the name plate was mounted on top center of the front crossmember and that appears to have been modified. But the front upper a-arms and the rear uprights ARE Wheeler. The original tub was three pieces of 2024 t3 alloy- 1 center approx 17' wide and 6" deep 113 1/2" long with 2 outer U shaped caps solid riveted to make an overall width of 24". The front ,rear ,main rollhoop and front roll hoop are steel all pull riveted to the tub. Included is a photo of the tub. If you discover any more info-such as roll bar no.- I would appreciate being informed , since I have compilled a history and have located 8 of the original 10/12 cars. I own S/N 010.

Name:	DSC_0800_091.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	51743  

Looks like this one: http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/oth...10391643ss.htm

Does he still have the SV body?

Sorry, not the same car. This one appears to be one with a shortened wheelbase for DSR specifically.
    Craig Butt

Liked: 15

A cut up Wheeler = so sad.

Liked: 5

Default Identity

Just to clear things up-both cars are modified 1978 Wheeler FSV's.The car just sold by Owen G. on Race cars.com- owned shortly by Gary P.- is still full WB.[90"+] was run as a CSR w/ a 1500 Honda, and is S/N 3,4,or 5. The car that Craig is buying ,appears to be Jerry Boone's old car, and has a shortened WB [84"] and is S/N 8 A[ the other S/N 8 belongs to Tom P.] Originally driven by Terry Annis for Nelson Iron Works in Oregon. Later converted to CSR by Mike McD. and then to DSR by his crew chief but never finished. Then sold to Jerry who completed it w/ a Kawasaki ZX 11.

It is a shame to basterdize old race cars,but I hope their new owners do well by them.
    If anyone has info on these cars or the other two missing Wheelers , I would appreciate adding it to my present Wheeler history.

Ted K. Wheeler FSV S/N 10
    greyeagles@msn.com
    Last edited by TED K.; 02.15.15 at 2:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Start a thread on the 'chassis history archives' here:
    www.tentenths.com

Someone will know something.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

YIKES!!!

we just had a chopped up Chinook FF and now two Wheelers on this site.........TRAGIC

I too would love to see old race cars preserved, of course, "back in the day" they were used up cars and no one anticipated they day when "vintage racing" would be as big as it is. I often recall a story told by Bob Johnson that drove for Carroll Shelby. Seems after running the season in the Cobra Daytona coupes, the cars went to Bonneville for some speed runs. After these were completed Bob had the opportunity to purchase the two cars that were taken along with the trailer and spares for $5000. As he said, at the time it was two used up aluminum cars covered with salt - who wanted to deal with that? Ah, 20/20 hind sight.
    Yes, it is too bad the car was cut to make it into what it is today. The bright side is it does fit well within the current Solo II B-Mod rules and will survive and compete in an area where it has the potential to win again. I will get the car home, service it and get it safe to drive. We will take it out and run it and compare it to our current chassis and then decide whether or not to hang on to it or possibly sell it bring another driver into the class. It may just hang around the shop and be used for hill climbs & track days while we keep the other car autocross specific. Regardless, it will survive to race again.
    Craig Butt

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Quote Originally Posted by Craig71188 View Post
    I too would love to see old race cars preserved, of course, "back in the day" they were used up cars and no one anticipated they day when "vintage racing" would be as big as it is. I often recall a story told by Bob Johnson that drove for Carroll Shelby. Seems after running the season in the Cobra Daytona coupes, the cars went to Bonneville for some speed runs. After these were completed Bob had the opportunity to purchase the two cars that were taken along with the trailer and spares for $5000. As he said, at the time it was two used up aluminum cars covered with salt - who wanted to deal with that? Ah, 20/20 hind sight.
    Yes, it is too bad the car was cut to make it into what it is today. The bright side is it does fit well within the current Solo II B-Mod rules and will survive and compete in an area where it has the potential to win again. I will get the car home, service it and get it safe to drive. We will take it out and run it and compare it to our current chassis and then decide whether or not to hang on to it or possibly sell it bring another driver into the class. It may just hang around the shop and be used for hill climbs & track days while we keep the other car autocross specific. Regardless, it will survive to race again.

well of course best wishes for success with your endeavors!!!

Thread Information