Liked: 1

Default Video from Barber with Rezoom

I had my first full weekend in the car last weekend at Barber and got some video (and had a blast, no going back to street based cars!). I was hoping some of you guys with more experience could watch a couple minutes and see if there's something I'm doing wrong or something I should work on next time (mainly shifting). I was left foot braking and attempting to rev match with my right foot, but a lot of times the blip didn't sound as high as most FM videos I've watched.

Never driven a dogring car before, is this much shifting/engagement noise normal, or is it a sign of trans wear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmY932CM6Hw
    #18 Formula Mazda

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default 1st time

You look good out there. You had a veteran on track with you. Court Dowis was in the red and black fm. Your gonna be hard put to find other fm drivers to critique your driving skills but from the looks of it your well in the game. Too bad you couldn't get more clean laps in. This stuff is truly addictive. Just pace yourself and focus on car setup and getting as much seat time as possible and have fun. If your running 134s you ought to be 132s next time. I didn't see anything wrong with your shifting. This tranny is difficult to get the hang of but is pretty tough. Drain the tranny and see if there are any shavings so you'll feel better about your shifting. You'll get to where you barely lift. I'll be at the chin event in april. If your there I'll look you up.

Thanks! I met Court, he was nice and helped me with lots of tips and tricks (like how to tell how much fuel is in the fuel cell). I guess I'm just paranoid about blowing up the trans since I've never shifted a manual without a clutch before.

Sounds good, I may not make it to Chin if I end up at the SCCA driver school at Gateway, but you never know.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Liked: 530

There's a hooked on driving event at Sebring Apr 7th. Open track all day, no run groups.. just run as much as you want 9-5! 50 car limit, likely average of 15 cars on track at a time. I've done this before with them, sometimes only 3 of us out there as others seem to go on and off in packs.

Come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    There's a hooked on driving event at Sebring Apr 7th. Open track all day, no run groups.. just run as much as you want 9-5! 50 car limit, likely average of 15 cars on track at a time. I've done this before with them, sometimes only 3 of us out there as others seem to go on and off in packs.

Come on down!
    That's a pretty good haul for me for a one day event, I'd be more likely to do a Sebring weekend some time. If I end up doing the SCCA driver school at Gateway next month that'll probably be the only April event I can afford time/money wise. It was a lot of fun running with you and the other cars at Barber.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Liked: 42

Default Looking good

Trey,

Looking good man. I am happy to see you out driving that thing.

As far as the gearbox goes, Higher blips will help, but really the timing just needs to become a little smother. Be confident with your shifts, but not forceful. It is not uncommon for it to take a few weekends for it to really "Click". And the faster you go (closer to the limit 100%) the easier the timing will get. Remember, these are race cars. They are meant to work at 90-100%, so if you are driving at 85% of the cars capabilities, the timing is just going to be off. Its all about seat time. Develop the muscle memory. It will come...

Love that orange paint. Havent seen an orange car in years. I love different!

Moses

Quote Originally Posted by MosesSmithRacing View Post
    Trey,

Looking good man. I am happy to see you out driving that thing.

As far as the gearbox goes, Higher blips will help, but really the timing just needs to become a little smother. Be confident with your shifts, but not forceful. It is not uncommon for it to take a few weekends for it to really "Click". And the faster you go (closer to the limit 100%) the easier the timing will get. Remember, these are race cars. They are meant to work at 90-100%, so if you are driving at 85% of the cars capabilities, the timing is just going to be off. Its all about seat time. Develop the muscle memory. It will come...

Love that orange paint. Havent seen an orange car in years. I love different!

Moses
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice!
    #18 Formula Mazda

Liked: 0

If that was your first real experience in a non street based car you were doing great! I personally don't like being on the track with street based cars. Not only do they have trouble seeing us, we close in on them so fast and they corner so slowly. Even when they know you're there it can be a challenge. Towards the end at around 12:25 the Porsche driver gave you a point by and then almost slammed the door on you. Maybe I'm just a wuss but that kind of thing just makes me a bit nervous.

As others have said, you will get faster, but IMO, most people getting their first real open wheel experience would have been much slower.
    Topper
    Dallara F394 F3
    Swift SE-3 FC sold

looks good.

come to our scca TT/PDX @ TGPR april 13-14th, the track will definately let you get used to shifting.

i ran barber in september with lockwood, boarders, newcomb all with nicely preped cars. 134 was the average. boarders was running 132's and faster.

i dipped into the 134s but i was fighting undeer from hell, from a suggested alignment... also just got off the dyno this past weekend with 150hp/130ft 10+ year old motor. my car is a super old russel car, with old everything, brakes, shocks, rod ends, just new oil, gas, and hoosiers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Top View Post
    If that was your first real experience in a non street based car you were doing great! I personally don't like being on the track with street based cars. Not only do they have trouble seeing us, we close in on them so fast and they corner so slowly. Even when they know you're there it can be a challenge. Towards the end at around 12:25 the Porsche driver gave you a point by and then almost slammed the door on you. Maybe I'm just a wuss but that kind of thing just makes me a bit nervous.

As others have said, you will get faster, but IMO, most people getting their first real open wheel experience would have been much slower.
    Thanks, I have experience in racecars but the others were all street-based (E36 BMW's mainly) and had synchromesh transmissions. I agree on the driving with full size cars issue, it is a little intimidating and I don't trust most of the people out there to refrain from killing me. But the speed differential that causes much of the problem also alleviates it: I can jet away from a Porsche in no time!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I guess the gearbox is supposed to be noisy. I just didn't want to be causing too much excess wear on my new toy!
    #18 Formula Mazda

Thread Information