Liked: 313

Default Regional in Newton, Iowa

Trying to figure out 2013 race schedule. It's a long drive, but I have friends and family in Iowa so was considering the regional in Newton, May 18/19.

Are there any Club Fords out there? Anyone from Midwest Council area going?

Dave

Liked: 113

Dave,

This is actually a three day event. Central Iowa has typically not been a hot bed for FF racers but there may be people coming from St. Louis, KC or IL. Newton is actually also a very easy trip from Minneapolis.

Newton, IA is my home town so some tips for around the track.

The AmericInn near the track is the only hotel that has been built in the area in the last 10 years or so . If you can get in there then do so.

There is a Holidan Inn Express downtown which is about 12-15 years old. I have stayed there and it is OK but not particularly convenient to the track.

At the next interstate exit west of the track is a bunch of hotels - still in newton - Many are 40 years old or more and most have fallen on hard times. The Super 8 is about 20 or 25 years old and does not get bad reviews on trip advisor.

There are 4 other hotels at the same exit as the Super 8 - all were built in the 60's and 70's and are very long in the tooth - I would avoid the Americas Best Value Inn at all costs. If you can not find a hotel in newton the next best place in Grinnell which is about 15 miles east on I80

Food

Most of the chow is at the next exit off the interstate west of the track. There are some chains like Culvers and Perkins. There is also an Okoboji Grill (sports bar) and Montana Mikes (Steak house) which are OK. Downtown on the square is Panda Garden which is a cheap and plentiful Chinese Buffet place (somewhat americanized) There are also two Mexican Food places - La Cabana and El Sombrero which are both located on 1st Avenue towards the east side of town. Have not been to either. Was at the previous incarnation of El Sombrero at a previous location and it was a solid 7 out of 10 which is high praise for the area.

Nightlife.

Newton is and easy 35-40 minutes from knoxville raceway which is directly south on hwy 14 - which is the same next exit west of the track. The will be running a regular weekly show on saturday the 18th which will consist of 410 and 360 sprint cars with wings. $15 for general admission or $25 for a pit pass. Worth every penny.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 0

I think that race weekend is a double rational. I ran a NASA race at Iowa speedway and the roval layout is is alot of fun. Expect the paddock to be crowded but they do have a ton of garage space.

Kurtis

Liked: 313

I was born and raised in Ames hence my interest in going to Newton, but it seems that unless someone speaks up and says they are bringing a car or two it would pretty much be me racing against myself.

In that part of the country if you race open wheel it better be sideways on dirt.

Liked: 0

I was planning on attending as well...BUT...the schedule shows it as being...(Tentative)...does anyone know if it is a confirmed event?

Liked: 2

Default Iowa Speedway

The weekend is a go according to Dan Harrington DMVR RE. Here is a link to the speedways wedsite with more information.

http://www.iowaspeedway.com/

Thread Information