Liked: 0

Default Formula racing car batteries

What is the most cost effective race batteries you have tried for Formula cars ? Braillies weighs 6 lbs but I ran into Mikroh battery which weighs only 1.3 lbs with CA of 900 amps.
    Have anyone heard and tried MiKroh batteries?
    http://www.kronospark.com/

Liked: 530

They're great and light, but note it is only 1Ah total capacity. So if output at 900 CCA, it can only do that for 4 seconds or less. Reality is your engine will probably draw a bit less, so figure 10 seconds of cranking average before the battery is dead. Imperative to use a jump box in the pits with something like this. Husky Motorsports makes a great one called BoostPup.

-mikey

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Spin once and stall or otherwise kill the engine and you are not going to go anywhere with that battery.

And it might just run flat in a normal race depending on gages, trick dash, is it raining, or what not. I would most definitely stay away froim something that only has 1AH capacity unless you never spin and also run an alternator to keep the battery alive for the session.

Liked: 123

If you want cost effective, as your post title suggests, probably a plain old Odessey PC680 is the cheapest and most reliable battery. It will start most engines all weekend, it will last a really long time, and it is not very expensive (around $100 I think)

Brian

Default Race car batteries

Thanks, everyone for all of your inputs. I didn't really mean what I said when I stated ' the most cost effective'. What I meant to ask is what are the best reasonable priced batteries in terms of practicality and weight for formula cars. THANKS AGAIN!!

Liked: 10

I've had good luck with one of these.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=9405

Much better cranking than the typical 17 Ah AGM (Panasonic) and about 10 lbs lighter.

My car is used for autocross including events with a LOT of engine starts and I never use a jump battery.

Dick
    85 VD FF

Liked: 3283

Default Deka ETX-18L

I run one of these that I bought from Scott Rubenzer at SBS (Storage Battery Systems) in my Zetec F2000 (with Kubota dynamo for charging). It is excellent. We do not use a jumper battery, and have never had a problem in over 4 years of use. It weighs around 15.5 lb and has ~340 CCA. Since we do not have a weight problem, this is the way to go.
    Dave Weitzenhof

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If you want cost effective, as your post title suggests, probably a plain old Odessey PC680 is the cheapest and most reliable battery. It will start most engines all weekend, it will last a really long time, and it is not very expensive (around $100 I think)

Brian
    I'll second that. Been using one in my Busa powered RT5 for years with no problems.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Default Race car batteries

Wow, there are so many to choose from. But Deka seems very capable and really eco priced.
    Has anyone tried lithium battery called Shorai? These are super light batteries and fits in my battery box. EVO2 is also Lithium but I would have to modify the mounting box and pricey. I have Varley Red top 30 right now. Super expensive and super heavy to replace!! The size is 9.8" L x 3.8" W x 5.6" H. Thanx.

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I run one of these that I bought from Scott Rubenzer at SBS (Storage Battery Systems) in my Zetec F2000 (with Kubota dynamo for charging). It is excellent. We do not use a jumper battery, and have never had a problem in over 4 years of use. It weighs around 15.5 lb and has ~340 CCA. Since we do not have a weight problem, this is the way to go.
    +1.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

I'd agree. The Deka EXT20L is a great battery. I've started using them instead of the Odyssey PC680. More grunt, especially Cold Cranking Amps (rated 310 vs. Odyssey at 220). A tiny bit bigger, but only +1/4" on the one dimension .... 3 1/4" (instead of about 3") x 7" x 6" tall. Seems to spin my FF started like it's never been spun before.

Liked: 111

I have had a Shorai. Incredibly light, but despite getting one on in the biggest size, it is not reliable for a second start, at least from the FE alternator.

I have had good support from them thus far and would really like it to work in the car, but I have my doubts thus far.

Jim

Default Shorai Battery

Thanks, Jim for your real life input. These are all great feedbacks with real story behind it, thanks everyone!!

Liked: 34

I borrowed a SBS 12220 @ COTA from MBlanc (thanks again)-- It was great and the right size for a typical FF battery. The Deka ETX18L is an inch longer, a half an inch wider and .2 shorter.

I just ordered one of these:

http://www.ecomelectronics.com/prodi...tml?id=3335139

$42, free shipping and a 2 year warranty
    I will let you know if it works

Liked: 3

$42?!

Dave, let us ALL know if that sucker works...the PC680 in my FF is toast and I've been considering batteries in the $250 range.

Heck, how far wrong can I go? ordering, now...

Liked: 232

Default Battery

Saw these on line ..... (no recomendation or opinion )

Default Powersonic 12180

I used the Powersonic 12180 in my DB1 for nearly two decades. Reliable, not expensive, never used a jumper battery. Buy a new one every three years or so.

http://www.portablepower.com/Powerso...ter_name=12180

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Coming from a Dutchman that is a hell of an endorsement.. At $39.00 I'm tempted buy have one as a backup. If I was really racing that is
    Hybels

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Call Scott Rebunzer at Storage Battery Systems.

He can fix you up with a first class battery for a very reasonable price, that will plain old work.

And he is a FF racer.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Call Scott Rebunzer at Storage Battery Systems.

He can fix you up with a first class battery for a very reasonable price, that will plain old work.

And he is a FF racer.
    /\ /\ /\ /\
    what he said............
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 5

Default Power Sonic

I got a used Powersonic in my car 3 years ago, when I purchased the car. I worked great until I spun and had my nose taken off at the glen last year. Just fiberglass nose damage I guess the shunt rattled the battery. I did finish off the year with it.But it was losing power so I just purchased another one from a company in ny ny on e-bay with free shipping was very happy with the first one. I just keep it on a chager in between time on the track.

Thread Information