Thread: I need a job!!

Liked: 127

Default I need a job!!

I know this isn't the place to look for jobs, but I hope that someone can help me with some info or something. I was officially laid off from my job on 12/24 of all days, now they have a hiring freeze at the place until further notice. They did tell me that if they did hire me back, that it would be at the starting pay. It was a great job with a solid future, but now I'm a little lost for what the future holds. I always had great reviews, and never called out of work 1 time for being sick in the five years I was there. Being I still have vision problems until my surgery a few months form now, I'm not totally ready to work yet. I am physically ready to work again, but being home all the time(seems like jail haha) puts way to much time for me to think and fear about my future. That accident I had back in June that should have killed me, but didn't, did flip my life upside down!

My dream of racing isn't dead yet, but being I need another car and new gear, the dream is dying. If someone around the CT area has any info on a job, or just some good advice in general....it's welcome. This post may be a little premature to some of you, but I know that it's better for me to keep my options open!

Brian

Liked: 553

Networking here (and other places, especially local to you) is a good idea.

Do you have an 'elevator speech' that describes the type of work you'd like and your skills?

There is a lot of job searching advice, but one that stuck with me is to find people that work at a company you've targeted, and have conversations with them.

Good luck.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ, that is a good idea.

I was working at Ametek making specialty metals. The job that I had before the one at Ametek was also in the metals industry. While I could use a lot of different machines while there and read basic blueprints, I wasn't rolling any metals yet to finish gauge. I worked in the annealing department working with metals at .0100 down to .002. I was trying to get into rolling, which is were the money is at, but I wasn't there long enough. I was making $23 an hour, and those guys rolling made $32 an hour. I got hurt in June, and I still made almost 50k considering I didn't work the rest of the year. I not trying to possibly make someone feel bad by what I was make ( I'm sure it doesn't compare to 3/4 of the guys who are on this site) but I just say it in hopes to making it again someday.

The dream of racing again was dead when I first asked my doctors, but I've slowly worn almost everyone down by bothering them all the time about it haha! While I was talking to a guy on this site about buying his FF, I decided not to blow the little money that I did have until I got another job.

Brian

Liked: 157

Default Send me your resume

Brian,

all of our open jobs are posted at ASML.com/careers. Search on the Wilton, CT jobs, unless you want to go to Europe or Asia.

right now we are hiring degreed design engineers, and once the semiconductor industry goes on another capital equipment buying frenzy there will likely be production and production support jobs opening up. The production side is cyclical, the design part is not.

We need to know your qualifications to be able to steer you

Around here I would be looking at UTC, Pratt, Sikorsky, Otis, Stanley, IBM, all of the medical equipment people,

Steve,

No, a job in the states would be good, but not required for anyone that can help me!

I don't have a resume around anymore, mainly because I thought I'd never need another job. I never planed on looking for another job, but I never planned on the accident I was involved in either. While I do have all of my job reviews (all positive) and copies of the 'thanks' papers the company gave me when I got my perfect attendance every year. I am a fast learner tho, and I never said 'no' to them once when they asked me for something special outside my job description. I've always worked with machines, like furnaces, high speed presses, industrial laminators and other machines. At Ametek, we made a lot of stuff for the medical industry, for RCM ( or the royal Canadian mint), and a lots of weld wire or the pin ends of all wire connectors in cars.

Please give me an email address, or website so I can check it out and give you what you need.

Brian

Liked: 27

Don't know if this will help but. I worked 32 yrs at Allegheny Ludlum Steel a division of ATI, they are finishing up a brand new multi million dollar strip mill and MAY be looking for experienced help. You might want to go to their website and check it out. Good luck and God Bless.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default LinkedIn

When Harley-Davidson let go half their engineering workforce, the job placement seminars highly stressed the need to use LinkedIn for networking.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Here in little old Dayton Ohio when I found myself out of work, I got on Linked In and found every face to face networking event I could go to.

you would not believe how supportive people are.

Also, get hooked with a good recruiter (aka headhunter) to help you with your resume. Dopn't waste the money on having one done by a paid person. One of the netwqorking groups I got hooked up at was with a large noindemonitinal church and every month we had about 200 job seekers there for networking, and always a talk by some person on some pertinent topic.

We had 2 recruiters of major reputation there volunteering their time who would look at your resume and make pointers for you. All this out of the goodness of everyone's heart.

Chin up, there are people out there who will help you, just gotta look for them.

Linked in:

www.linkedin.com

Liked: 948

Quote Originally Posted by Brian331 View Post
    Steve,

No, a job in the states would be good, but not required for anyone that can help me!

I don't have a resume around anymore, mainly because I thought I'd never need another job. I never planed on looking for another job, but I never planned on the accident I was involved in either. While I do have all of my job reviews (all positive) and copies of the 'thanks' papers the company gave me when I got my perfect attendance every year. I am a fast learner tho, and I never said 'no' to them once when they asked me for something special outside my job description. I've always worked with machines, like furnaces, high speed presses, industrial laminators and other machines. At Ametek, we made a lot of stuff for the medical industry, for RCM ( or the royal Canadian mint), and a lots of weld wire or the pin ends of all wire connectors in cars.

Please give me an email address, or website so I can check it out and give you what you need.

Brian
    Hello Brian,

You have some great advice going here, and networking is your strongest asset. Even at my advanced age, linkedin was great for opportunities when my department was eliminated two years ago. There are other resources as well, including yahoo jobs, monster, and craigslist.

Use your performance reviews and job description to put together a set of facts about your abilities, skills and experience. From there you have the framework for a great resume.

Best wishes to you in your search.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 553

Here's another one: Be ready with one or more descriptive stories about how you were faced with obstacles but worked around them to produce an appreciated product.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Don't know if this will help but. I worked 32 yrs at Allegheny Ludlum Steel a division of ATI, they are finishing up a brand new multi million dollar strip mill and MAY be looking for experienced help. You might want to go to their website and check it out. Good luck and God Bless.
    I'm a Process Metallurgist at Allegheny Ludlum. We have plants in Wallingford, CT and Waterbury, CT, however I can say with a good amount of certainty that neither of them are hiring at the moment. New Bedford, MA may be a possibility though. Pop Chevy's idea is a good one, the new hot strip mill will be massive, plus there are a lot of other Allegheny Ludlum plants in western PA.

By the way, multi million dollar isn't even close. The new mill is $1.1 billion.

Liked: 1417

There have been a couple of suggestions to implement a Linkedin group for ApexSpeed users so that business offers and off-racing professional connections could be made. So we set up a Group this morning with that intent!

If you are on Linkedin, feel free to join The ApexSpeed Network here. Feel free to invite other ApexSpeed members to join and contribute.

Remember, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Thread Information