Thread: Astra

Liked: 5

Default Astra

Astra!? Where can I find more information on this car? Looks good. Any idea why the rear wing is so low?

Liked: 553
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 703

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post
    Astra!? Where can I find more information on this car? Looks good. Any idea why the rear wing is so low?
    I think they were holding their cards close to the vest until this weekend. I hope we'll see more detailed info now that it's broken cover.

I've been told there are three of them so not really a one-off.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 80

Have seen two out at HPR testing/shaking down, and Richard tells me there are a total of 5 being built at the moment.

The Rilltech/Speads/Schader/RacingConcepts folks have seemingly abandoned any further Speads development, and the new car is an Alain Clarinval design. Evidently getting the chassis and parts from South Africa has just become too onerous, so this car is largely produced in Colorado.

Several interesting/unique ideas. Rear suspension inboard pickups mounted quite high to make room for a MASSIVE rear diffuser. Low mount wing designed to drive the diffuser I'm sure.

Cooling air taken from under the raised nose, and ducted to either sidepod. Complicated triple-element front wing arrangement to balance the large rear diffuser.

They are running DSR size 7.5/10" tires, interestingly.

Seems to have tons of grip, and Steve Ott always makes any car run well. Top speed seems to be a bit lower than the other front-running cars - high 130's I'd guess, instead of low to mid 140's.

The car is yet another approach to going fast in FB - sort of the opposite of the uber-low-drag JDR approach. Amazing times in F1000 I gotta say.

-Jake

Thread Information