Liked: 96

Default LG 500/600 Question

I am looking for the exact center-center distance for the LG 500/600 gears. I need to sleeve one bore in the bearing carrier and the bore is so bad I can't pick up center on it. I think that it is 120mm (4.7245") but I do not want to ASSUME anything. The carrier is sitting in the mill waiting. Thanks in advance.

john f

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default LG

I'm pretty sure its not metric, UK really hadn't gone metric at that point - ask Hewland, they are fairly good on responding to questions like that.
    Phil

Liked: 1868

According to the dimensions I found here -

http://www.miquip.co.za/tech/useful-...-gearbox-items

- the center to center distance is 3.158', assuming that the pinion is centered on the differential centerline.

Took all of 2 minutes to find this.

Oops.

According to a friend who used to service those boxes, the pinion is offset to the right a bit (NOT directly above the clutch shaft), so while the vertical distance is 3.158", the actual center to center distance will be greater. Both he and I seem to remember that 3.5" is what you want, but you probably should e-mail Hewland to get the correct number.

He also seems to think that LG box production was sold to another company a few years back ( the name Trojan comes to mind), but a really quick web search didn't come up with anything right away.

Liked: 139

Is it possible to get that dimension from the bores in the main case?

Default LG

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Is it possible to get that dimension from the bores in the main case?

It is possible, but a real pain. To do it I would have to remove the pinion bearing and the input shaft needle bearings and reading the indicator down in the box will require mirrors to see. I will do that if I can not find it else where.

The 3.158" dimension is from engine center line to out put shaft center line. The LG uses a hypoid gear set where the pinion center is off set from the ring gear center. Not like the mk 8/9 series boxes. The center distance on the LG is right around the 4.724"
    dimension that I mentioned, not 3.5".

Worst case I will try hewland direct, but I think that may be a long shot. Thanks to every one for the responses.

john f

Come to think of it, the 3.5" dimension may be for the DG line of gears.

If you google Hewland LG gearbox, there are quite a few places that specialize in them, so they may also be possible sources of the info you need.

Liked: 79

John

I just got the following information from our contact in the UK that now manufactures the LG Gearbox. The center distance of the gears is 4.7", the horizontal offset is 0.625" resulting in a vertical offset of 4.658"

We are now stocking several parts for the LG and if you need anymore information please give us a call at the shop.

Hope this helps,

Lee
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

Default HOT DAMN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WRD View Post
    John

I just got the following information from our contact in the UK that now manufactures the LG Gearbox. The center distance of the gears is 4.7", the horizontal offset is 0.625" resulting in a vertical offset of 4.658"

We are now stocking several parts for the LG and if you need anymore information please give us a call at the shop.

Hope this helps,

Lee
    Lee:

Thank you VERY much. This is exactly what I am looking for. I will be in touch concerning another item. Thanks again.

john f

Thread Information