Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    The rotor and pads move with the axle

The chains are not designed to twist I'm surprised none have broken yet. I know there is not much suspension travel in that set up but I know when the chain snaps on a F1000 it makes a big mess.

Modern sealed chains can actually twist quite a bit. Actually they can handle much more than the 1-2 degrees that we see in these cars.

The chain on our first NovaKar f600 has run way over 2 full seasons of racing with zero problems. We have changed the rear sprocket once. Will change the chain and both sprockets this winter just to be safe.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 111

Default Announcing the new Nova F600 Blade

Chains hold up just fine with this setup. They can handle the twist. It has been done for years in f5 and now f6. Never had a chain failure.

As to suspension movement, they are a live axle chassis. Not a kart at all.

Actually, suspension travel is much further than an VanDiemen FE or FC has. It is quite controlled.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Thx ! I'm thinking this would be a great class for my son.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by fvracer27 View Post
    The rotor and pads move with the axle
    I see that now. Thanks.

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Thx ! I'm thinking this would be a great class for my son.
    You are correct.
    The class philosophy from the beginning in the early 1980's has been to be a low cost
    entry level formula car class. And the BOD back in the Fall of 2012 confirmed that they wanted this to be an entry level class. The first step should be the data gathering step hands-on so contact the nearest F5/6 drivers (Aaron Ellis?) and volunteer to crew for them until you have learned all you can about all the cars in this class. We look forward to seeing ya'll
    at the track soon.

Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982

Thx Jim. We'll change gears & check it out after ski season

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

On the way back to Jay's shop - starting body number 2 tomorrow.

Y'all do nice work...

Liked: 444

What is all that white stuff...

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BURKY View Post
    What is all that white stuff...
    That is the "turn everyone into idiot drivers fairy dust" that falls from the sky here in the months between October and May

A question to the people responsible though: What tires are those? 19.5" or 18" OD?
    Last edited by bimmer635csi; 12.09.13 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added the question

Liked: 10

Speaking of tires, doesn't Hoosier warn against subjecting the tires to freezing temps?

Dick

We got the car back in the shop today.
    Last edited by Jnovak; 10.28.14 at 7:12 PM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Another.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 56

Default Grins

I already know why Calvin is smiling

Liked: 6

Did I miss the post where we talk about the price?

I'm more than a little curious.

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by twofoot65 View Post
    Did I miss the post where we talk about the price?

I'm more than a little curious.

thx.
    In the first post.

Default Artist needed

I think the F600's are way cool cars. I just wish someone would get a little more imaginative with body styles. I don't know the rules, so maybe they cant. Such a fast and kool car deserves a body that matches its performance.

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar

What's wrong with the body? Sleek, aerodynamic and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by quartzracer View Post
    What's wrong with the body? Sleek, aerodynamic and functional.
    Nothing. Just something different.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandon View Post
    Nothing. Just something different.
    Please post a sketch of what you have in mind.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    On the way back to Jay's shop - starting body number 2 tomorrow.
    At the risk of being taken down in flames, I have a few thoughts...

Yes, the car is gorgeous. I genuinely love it. But, and it's a big one, the MSRP is well north of $20k w/o a motor! Is this the direction we want the class to take?

Keep in mind that DSR started out many years ago as a bunch of guys looking to do something different and have fun on a budget. It has now evolved into a cubic-dollars-per-inch class where you will be lapped unmercifully if your car costs less than $60k.

I personally think a car should cost less than $10k to allow "normal people" to race on a reasonably level field. I don't mean we should remain in the dark ages, but this ain't supposed to be F1. "Money changes everything"...

Or maybe it's just me.

Cheers,

Chris

There is simply no way to build a car at that price as a constructor. I built my own f5 starting with an existing KBS. Not counting the initial car purchase it is more than that just to modify.

Maybe if you access to scrap usable metal and your own CNC/lathe/welding/body molding/leftover resin/Kevlar/glass etc and your own time maybe.

I wish all racing was cheaper. Just In Hubs bearings and wheels you are probably at close to $2000-3000 range.

I am actually a bit surprised at the roller price being so low. I was guessing 26-29000 when I saw the construction.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandon View Post
    I think the F600's are way cool cars. I just wish someone would get a little more imaginative with body styles. I don't know the rules, so maybe they cant. Such a fast and kool car deserves a body that matches its performance.

ouch!

Liked: 8

Default body

Eric (quarts racer) nailed it , you package a race car first to the rules, then as clean aerodynamically as you can given any rules restrictions, and then to it's appearance
    as far as the former two will allow, so making it look like an F-I car is counter intuitive.
    Tis car embodies practical simplicities in EVERY aspect ,engineering ,design, construction,
    you name it, it's not some tuner car.
    Dave

Yes, the car is gorgeous. I genuinely love it. But, and it's a big one, the MSRP is well north of $20k w/o a motor! Is this the direction we want the class to take?

Keep in mind that DSR started out many years ago as a bunch of guys looking to do something different and have fun on a budget. It has now evolved into a cubic-dollars-per-inch class where you will be lapped unmercifully if your car costs less than $60k.

I personally think a car should cost less than $10k to allow "normal people" to race on a reasonably level field. I don't mean we should remain in the dark ages, but this ain't supposed to be F1. "Money changes everything"...

Or maybe it's just me.

Cheers,

Chris

I remember DSR way back then. It had very few restrictions thus I said back then that it will be a money class. On the other hand, F500 is a VERY restricted class using relatively inexpensive drivetrains. We will do our best not to allow any rules changes that will unjustifiably raise the costs of the class. BTW, we can always rent you a F600.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    There is simply no way to build a car at that price as a constructor. I built my own f5 starting with an existing KBS. Not counting the initial car purchase it is more than that just to modify.

Maybe if you access to scrap usable metal and your own CNC/lathe/welding/body molding/leftover resin/Kevlar/glass etc and your own time maybe.

I wish all racing was cheaper. Just In Hubs bearings and wheels you are probably at close to $2000-3000 range.

I am actually a bit surprised at the roller price being so low. I was guessing 26-29000 when I saw the construction.

Jay did announce that the price will go up after the first 5 are sold.

Jim

Default Body Graphics design

Wait until you see Calvin's graphic!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    Jay did announce that the price will go up after the first 5 are sold.

Jim
    We are in the midst of analyzing our costs of the build of the first 5 cars right now. We will know more in a month or so. Our goal is to hold the costs down and to that end all of the next run of cars will be sold as roller kits. Racers or dealers can then assemble the cars.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Comparatively these are very economical compared to a FF, way less money and similar lap times.

No shocks and no springs.
    10" tires
    you can buy about 5 engines for the cost of one Hewland transmission

Liked: 1

Or maybe it's just me.
    Chris,
    The class is already there. $21,000 for an Invader. For an extra $1k over the KBS I'd buy the new Blade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you want to race for $10,000 buy a brand new TAG kart and motor, much more competition than the SCCA can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Comparatively these are very economical compared to a FF, way less money and similar lap times.

No shocks and no springs.
    10" tires
    you can buy about 5 engines for the cost of one Hewland transmission
    And no sway bars, BUT there is a rudimentary suspension with the rubber pucks and bell cranks for multiplication (several inches of wheel travel). All part of the restrictions to keep the costs low.

Jim
    Been messing with these cars since 1982.

and coming from DSR, no wings or electronic shifters. And no reason to us carbon fiber to get to minimum weight, no carbon fiber brakes, no carbon fiber springs, no $10,000 motors.

I am really looking forward to next season!

If you understand the details and math behind suspension design you will realize there is nothing rudimentary about Jay's suspension design. He has a lot of time and money in material research to come up with the custom material he uses for the pucks. He then made the geometry work with them to provide linear wheel rates. Combine that with other features and you have a great handling car. Pretty ingenious design that works very well.

As far as the cost, Jay is in the ball park of current F5's. I'm curious how many new F5's have been built in the last 5 or even 10 years. I know of at least 7 new builds (all 600's) that should be ready for next year. That is a huge influx of new cars for the class. I think one of the reasons car cost has been going down the last few years in F5 is that they are mostly older chassis that continue to depreciate with very few if any new cars coming in. That is not good for the long term growth of the class. This surge in interest should help the class and bring some new innovation to the class.
    Last edited by lancer360; 12.15.13 at 10:12 AM.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Default "Styling"

As the "stylist" of Jay's new car, I can say that what you see is the result of the tightest fit to the chassis/driver (ok, a real size driver...) and adherence to the laws of aerodynamics to keep the air attached to the surfaces and create minimum lift, and minimum frontal area. All these surfaces were tested in CFD for optimization and Mike did a great job on the physical model to sweeten them up. The result is what you see - simple, clean and functional. - Wait to see how other car's drivers feel as it whistles past them on the straights...

Clark.

Clark, I have a question. Why the relatively sharp bump over the front pushrods? Really it leads to a whole other post I should ask about the value of frontal area versus angles to the wind.

Clark, I have a question. Why the relatively sharp bump over the front pushrods? Really it leads to a whole other post I should ask about the value of frontal area versus angles to the wind.
    Jim, are you referring to the radii where the bump blends into the side of the midsection and the top of the side pod? The bump itself is actually quite gentle and long at over 4" long. This part of the body is, of course, a minor compromise needed for package. The design of the bump was such that it would not create a local separation while generating as little local lift as possible. It does generate a small amount of lift but it also keeps the airflow attached in that area.

PS: there is a significant reduction in frontal area from our Runoffs winning F500.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 757

I'm sure in the wind tunnel and CFD that little blister would be pretty much invisible aerodynamically.

I always wonder about blending little blisters like that. Symmetric, asymmetric, etc. length to height three, five, seven times.

Had to imagine less surface area than you already had.

I always wonder about blending little blisters like that. Symmetric, asymmetric, etc. length to height three, five, seven times.

Had to imagine less surface area than you already had.
    It has about a 50 sq. inch reduction in frontal area.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

The old man pretending he is a hero driver.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information