Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    What are the relative power to weight ratios between F600 and FF? I would have thought a lighter F600 with more power and a 6 speed 'box should be faster anyway?
    Top FFs have 115 - 120hp and F600s are under 110hp as the 600s must have inlet restrictors. That said The power to weight of an F600 is pretty close to a FF. I think that best against best they will be very close in lap times. The FF cars have somewhat more sophisticated suspensions and the F600s probably accelerate a bit harder.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    What are the relative power to weight ratios between F600 and FF? I would have thought a lighter F600 with more power and a 6 speed 'box should be faster anyway?
    A top notch F500/F600 will out accelerate a FF with no problem. I think the FF have a bit of an aero advantage with the F500/F600 body work rules requiring full side pods etc. Jay may be able to elaborate on the relative aero performance between a FF and F500/F600 better. Just using published magazine numbers a 600cc GSXR is around 125 hp UNRESTRICTED at the crank and the minimum weight is 875 lbs which is 7 lbs/HP. They are significantly less than this at the rear wheels with the restrictor plates.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Jay,
    What is the latest update on the Blade and timeline?
    Clint is ready to test drive one - as are a couple of hundred other drivers
    I can just see it now at the track - with a taxi sign sitting in the pits and line of
    people .

Jim

We are about 6 - 8 weeks away for having car #1 ready. First 3 frames are going to powder coat in a week. Will be posting pics very soon.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Default Finally ... Some pics of the Nova-Blade

Well, things are finally moving forward. We have 4 deposits for our 5 car production run. Chassis fixtures are completed and we have completed the first 2 frames and control arms are completed for the cars. We have finally received about 1/2 of the machined billet parts for the 5 cars and the rest should arrive this week. We will be assembling roller #1 in the next week or so and hope to have the roller at the Runoffs for show and tell.

Yes we are way behind schedule. Our build optimism was a bit too much but we are now makeing some serious headway. Here are a few pics that I can show you now, however I am still keeping lots of things under wraps.

Here you go:

Here is a pic of about 1/2 of the required billet parts for the 5 car run. We should have the rest by the end of the week. As you can see everything is weight and strength optimized. All aluminum parts are 6061T6 to 7075T6 depending on the application. Thanks to Price Machine for the superlative work.

Here are a couple of shots of the chassis: there are a couple of tubes still to put in but we are waiting for the body for clearance checking. Guess who is getting car #1?

Another chassis pic with the old man in the seat. I will be getting car #6. BTW the driver sides of the chassis has high strength Kevlar anti-intrusion panels on both sides, of course.

Engine bay pic. Billet aluminum engine mounts not shown.

Here is a picture of our new optional forged aluminum brake caliper that was designed specifically to fit within our 10" wheels with an 8.0" diameter rotor. The rear rotor is significantly larger. All rotors are floating with lug drive.

If anyone has any questions just let me know.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 111

Should I just give up now on winning if the "unnamed" driver is getting one of these???

Hell no Jim, you can win in one of these RACE CARS!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 0

Default NovaBlade on the ground!

It's been a thrash getting it to this point. A long way from drivable but at least it rolls. Now it's off to Road America to be displayed in the NovaRace pit.

Dave Piontek

Liked: 111

That is killer, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    That is killer, Jay.
    Jim,
    We would love to have you in F600. Please come out to M-O for our
    Challenge round #4, Oct. 4/6, and hang out with us. See all the F600's
    up close. Maybe even drive one around in the paddock. You could rent
    one from us, even.

Jim

Liked: 10

Is that the latest iteration of the Nova-Link locating that rear axle?

I was under the impression that the more sophisticated Nova-Link's "it's not a sway bar" function was important.

Does that work just as good for unloading the inside rear?

Too secret to discuss?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

This is the same concept but it allows larger sprockets than the previous design. It also incorporates an easier method to adjust the ride heights.

Dave Piontek
    Piontek Engineering Inc.

Is that the latest iteration of the Nova-Link locating that rear axle?

I was under the impression that the more sophisticated Nova-Link's "it's not a sway bar" function was important.

Does that work just as good for unloading the inside rear?

Too secret to discuss?

Thanks,

Scott[/QUOTE]

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Announcing the new Nova F600 Blade

Stout frame with great suspension. Very clever ! These racers look fast just sitting there. Looking forward to seeing the body work on.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Default Blade at the Runoffs

We took the Nova-Blade F600 to the Runoffs for show and tell. Tons of interest with a couple hundred viewers stopping by to ask questions etc.

Here is a picture of the Purple Frog inside the roller. I said that he would not fit but he did and pretty decent too.

Mike is a big dude and he fits.

PS: we are starting a Rotax installation in about 2 weeks.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Hey Jay, I like the shoulder clearance built into the chassis, much better than the KBS cars from back in the 90's. After one weekend in a KBS Mk5 I sold the car because of shoulder pain from constant pressure of the braces & I'm smaller with shoulders not as wide as Frog's. Also like the switch to chain drive now days, funny how we all used the cogged belts because we thought the chain couldn't handle the slight amount of twist created by the rear suspension travel!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Hey Jay, I like the shoulder clearance built into the chassis, much better than the KBS cars from back in the 90's. After one weekend in a KBS Mk5 I sold the car because of shoulder pain from constant pressure of the braces & I'm smaller with shoulders not as wide as Frog's. Also like the switch to chain drive now days, funny how we all used the cogged belts because we thought the chain couldn't handle the slight amount of twist created by the rear suspension travel!

I thought that you knew back then that you could move just about any bar out of your way.
    I think that I am bigger than you (6'3" 270lbs) with wide shoulders and hips. I made both of my cars (F440 and later a F500) fit me. Dan McMahan has moved the down bars on several KBS cars over the years to fit wide shoulders. My new Scorpion F600 should fit you. We will be glad to rent you the Scorpion. Now you have no excuse not to buy a F600 or convert one.

Jim

Thanks Scott. The entire side of the car is enclosed with Kevlar anti-intrusion reinforcements. still lots of room with great protection.
    Last edited by Jnovak; 11.15.13 at 10:00 AM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Default Another Nova-Blade pic

Kevin Doran (Grand Am team owner and designer of the Doran F2000 car) discussing the new Nova-Blade with Jay at the Runoffs.

He likes it!
    Last edited by Jnovak; 10.28.14 at 7:11 PM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 30

Default Nice

Looks nice Jay! Is the rear axle Aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by allof6 View Post
    Looks nice Jay! Is the rear axle Aluminum?
    The axle is 4130 chromoly steel tube centerless ground to 50mm diameter. There are aluminum tube spacers for locating the bearings.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Default Thanks

for the response, when you estimating the completion?

for the response, when you estimating the completion?
    Our plan is to bring car #1 to the ARRC. We are building other chassis right now.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Buck is done except for some radius work and final sanding, polishing and waxing - we start making molds in few days.

Default NovaBlade Body Buck

Nice work Mike!

Dave

Liked: 3

This is a cheaper way to go fast.................you have my attention. I know this class is fairly young but how many F600's are out there? (Midwest specifically)

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    The axle is 4130 chromoly steel tube centerless ground to 50mm diameter. There are aluminum tube spacers for locating the bearings.
    Rear end looks real similar to my 1000cc mini sprint (bird cages etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderracing91 View Post
    This is a cheaper way to go fast.................you have my attention. I know this class is fairly young but how many F600's are out there? (Midwest specifically)
    Bowser from Iowa said that he was building a F600. The source:
    http://www.formula500.org/viewtopic.php?t=2573 is the thread where we attempted to get everyone building/built a F600 to post. It has gotten out-of-date.

HTH,
    Jim

Does the new Nova Blade work with both F500 and F600? Are they totally separate race series, or are they combined, where some guys run a Rotax snowmobile setup, and others run the 6 speed 600cc cycle engine setup?

Do you think F600 will eventually replace F500 alltogether?

Quote Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
    Does the new Nova Blade work with both F500 and F600? Are they totally separate race series, or are they combined, where some guys run a Rotax snowmobile setup, and others run the 6 speed 600cc cycle engine setup?

The BOD will be making this very decision mid-month so we are all waiting.
    The F600 Challenge series will continue.
    As long as there is a choice, I think that both drivetrains will continue. The 2 strokes now have a Rotax 593 (600cc) so I suspect that the new combined class will be called F600.

Jim

Yes, the Nova Blade is designed so that it can use either the MC engine or the Rotax engine.

The SCCA Board of Directors will be making the decision on the possible merge of F600 with F500 within a week I believe. However no matter what the F600 Pro Challenge will be there.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    The BOD will be making this very decision mid-month so we are all waiting.
    The F600 Challenge series will continue.
    As long as there is a choice, I think that both drivetrains will continue. The 2 strokes now have a Rotax 593 (600cc) so I suspect that the new combined class will be called F600.

Jim
    Does the Rotax 593 run a restrictor plate to even out the playing field of the other lower cc rotax?

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Yes, the Nova Blade is designed so that it can use either the MC engine or the Rotax engine.

The SCCA Board of Directors will be making the decision on the possible merge of F600 with F500 within a week I believe. However no matter what the F600 Pro Challenge will be there.
    Thanks for the responses guys. My post was a bit hasty, i found the thread about the merger here, http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59590 after I posted but before I could delete this post.

Does the Rotax 593 run a restrictor plate to even out the playing field of the other lower cc rotax?
    Yes, Individual Inlet Restrictors and more weight.

Jim

Default Hows the Build?

Any Updates?

We are expecting Jay & Co. to be at the ARRC.

Jim

Any Updates?
    we are flogging 7 days a week working on 4 cars right now. We have had 2 rollers on the ground without bodywork.

I am taking roller #1 to the Mike Devins composite shop on Monday morning for the fitting of the first body. will try to post pics this week.
    Last edited by Jnovak; 11.16.13 at 8:14 PM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Body parts are coming out of the molds. The first complete body should be on car #1 by the end of next week.

We are flogging. Here are some pics. Midsection mold prepped for part.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Mike Devins the composite wizard holding up the diffuser.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Nose just out of the molds. The flange on the bottom is part of the mold.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Looking good Jay! Now get back to work and stop goofing off on Apexspeed!
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

One more, then off to the shop.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information