Liked: 183

Default HOWTo LD200 gear change

Hey all,

I recently picked up a formula ford, and while searching around for details on maintenance, I was surprised to see the lack of HowTo's for basic maintenance on the car.

After working on the car for a while I can understand why this is. These cars are mostly hand built, anything you need you typically fabricate yourself, so most individuals who own and maintain these cars have a higher degree of mechanical abilities than other car enthusiast.

Even still, some of these tasks can be a little intimidating for new owners, changing your gearset is one of those tasks that I was a little nervous about. I was lucky enough to be close to PorterRacing and I had Neil porter show me how to do the gear swap so I could get the car setup for autocrossing.

I eventually got around to writing a blog post about it, you can view it here:

HowTo change your gears on a Hewland LD200

Any constructive comments are always welcome.
    Last edited by chrisw52; 10.12.14 at 1:44 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

I made good use of your blog post, Chris...

...but one thing bothered me:

Both you and the Hewland manual say to engage both reverse and first to lock the transmission, but you both show the 3rd/4th shift rod being the one you move.

Anyway, thanks for doing the legwork.

Alan

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: HOWTo LD200 gear change

:thumbup:
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I don't think it matters which two you select, as long as you lock the geartrains to each other. I usually pick the first two that will actuate.

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I don't think it matters which two you select, as long as you lock the geartrains to each other. I usually pick the first two that will actuate.
    Rick,

I think you are right. unfortunately I can't find my Hewland gearbox manual at the moment to confirm which gear I am selecting. But as long as you double engage the output shaft your OK.

Thread Information