Thread: muffler update?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default muffler update?

In my never ending quest to make things more affordable, I find myself dealing with the age old muffler debacle prior to my season starting and was wondering what happened to the experimentation of the replacement options last year. For a while there seemed to be some new developments in the making and then nothing. Does anybody know of any alternatives on the horizon?

I have never gotten more than 8 races on a muffler so I cut my old Borla open to find it was packed with fiberglass and not stainless!!!! To confirm, I had a friend cut one of his open to find fiberglass as well. I thought these mufflers were packed with stainless? I know the heat is the problem but if they are packed with glass what makes the borlas special?

Just thinking (dangerous)..Would it be feasable to make a stainless muffler with a ceramic packing? Other than 5 or 6 addl lbs whats the disadvantage?

Liked: 1

I can't answer your question, but how do you know when the muffler needs replacing? I'm new to FM, and all of my other track car mufflers lasted pretty much indefinitely.
    #18 Formula Mazda

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default muffler update

Your db level exceeds the tracks limit...but after being told that at the track several times you learn to tell the difference...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Muffler

only one person to talk to Moses at MSR We do run a supertrap at certain tracks to keep tne db down we have had mufflers last for years Dwayne

Liked: 27

Default Mufflers

Hi Dwayne....yep, when you only run twice a year, they should last a long time...And yes, that was a "I'm calling you boys out" comment..

8 races sounds about right. Interesting fact---we always put a new muffler on for big races. Whether it is my imagination or not, the car seems to come off of the turns better with fresh packing.

Liked: 17

Has anyone tried modifying an old mufffler by making a removable end cap for the outlet and replacing the packing? I seem to remember having a silencer on a 125 shifter kart with a replaceable insert.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default Muffler

Darryl the muffler are the same we ran for years in the pro standard mazda series remember when we ran all the races nation wide and all the races in the formula car challange yes only 2 races last year call me out any time. its ok thanks Dwayne

Thread Information