Liked: 1417

Default Carbir Announces 2013 FF Program with Hazelton

February 18, 2013 - Grafton, Wisconsin After a hiatus from the North American market, Carbir Race Cars is back for a full season in the F1600 Formula F Championship Series with Reid Hazelton in a Honda-powered entry. Carbir will join a full field of Mygales, Spectrums, Van Diemens, Pipers and more in what is shaping up to be a big 2013 season.

“We are putting a team together to develop and race the new cars,” said Brian Utt, president of Carbir. “We will run a second car later in the year and are planning to rotate drivers in and out while Reid does the entire season in the first car.”

Carbir is back in the US market after building cars for use in Europe and Asia for the last several years.

“We are building a diverse product line with four new formula cars and two new sports racers,” added Utt, from the team’s shop in Wisconsin.

Utt described Hazelton as a good, fast driver, and said that he had done well in his Formula F career, leading at the Run Offs and also qualifying on pole and setting the track record during the race at Road America in a quirky mono-shocked 1992 Van Diemen against bigger budget efforts and more modern cars.

From Milwaukee originally, Hazelton explained he had been spending about $8,000 a year on racing, doing everything himself, except for engine rebuilds.

“I am very excited to have an opportunity with Brain and Carbir. With Carbir having a winning history in the old F2000 series it will be a welcome change of pace to have a full time crew to work with,” said Hazelton. “That will be a large amount of stress lifted off my shoulders and I am very happy to be able to focus more on driving.”

With a limited budget, Hazleton said he has not raced at any of the 2013 F1600 tracks, but added he has about five laps around VIR in a rental car.

Growing up, his parents owned a small amusement-park type kart track that was the driver to Hazelton putting a helmet on.

“It was a great time. I thought everyone had a kart track in their back yards. It was good experience, and profitable for me. Friday and Saturday nights I would race the local college kids for money. I bet I had more effect on sobriety in that town than the police did after taking their beer money.

“I obviously would like to win as we all do, but it is going to be extremely competitive,” said Hazelton. “I haven’t been in the car besides sitting in the chassis at the shop.

“Being a brand new car, and a nearly clean sheet design, we won’t know where we really stand until the first qualifying session at VIR,” continued Hazelton. “With the design and engineering group that Brian has put together, I have no reason to doubt it will be a very capable car. But, like I said, we won’t know for sure until VIR.”

The 2013 F1600 Formula F Championship Series opened at VIR, April 11-14, followed by a first time visit for the Series to Road Atlanta, and then it’s Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio twice and Summit Point.

Liked: 601

Default Carbir F/Ford

Great to hear that this driver, who has done so well on his limited budget, is getting this opportunity.
    The pressure is on Carbir to provide him a car that will perform to the level and above, of the "vintage" car he has campaigned in the past.
    Best of Luck Reid and Carbir.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 553

Great news. It will be easy to cheer for Reid during the F1600 season.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Great to hear that this driver, who has done so well on his limited budget, is getting this opportunity.
    The pressure is on Carbir to provide him a car that will perform to the level and above, of the "vintage" car he has campaigned in the past.
    Best of Luck Reid and Carbir.
    Aww shucks...you're gonna make me blush

BUT....those nice words about doing well and such are only possible due to all your help in answering my stupid questions over the years. You're at the top of the list of Helpful Helpers who made it possible to accomplish the things I was able to. Getting the brakes on the ole 92 to be what they are is solely due to you and your suggestions.

RH

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Great news. It will be easy to cheer for Reid during the F1600 season.
    Thanks Russ! Hope to see you out there

Liked: 99

Default Carbir

Lets see some pictures of this new Carbir.

Liked: 18

Congrats Reid!
    I'm going to try and meet up with you at VIR
    When is your next visit down this way?

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Looking forward to seeing this new car ! & Congrats to Reid
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    .........Getting the brakes on the ole 92 to be what they are is solely due to you and your suggestions.

RH
    You use Brakes? Huh, who knew. Here I thought that must be your secret to going so fast, all gas, no brakes. Opposite of me.

Congrats to Reid. Very well deserved.

To anyone that has never seen Reid race, you're in for a treat. Unless you like getting beat, it's better to watch him than race him. If you do race him, you won't get beat by a finer competitor.

Go Reid!
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    You use Brakes? Huh, who knew. Here I thought that must be your secret to going so fast, all gas, no brakes. Opposite of me.

I'm still all gas, but not the way you think.

I like Chinese food, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by speedr727 View Post
    Congrats Reid!
    I'm going to try and meet up with you at VIR
    When is your next visit down this way?
    Thank you!

Hopefully soon, all depends on the Girlfriend's exam schedule. She has her USMLE Step exams coming up so I steer clear of that

Quote Originally Posted by M.Sauce View Post
    Lets see some pictures of this new Carbir.
    I don't have that leval of security clearance, Brian makes me check my phone at the door. If I had some I'd share, it is a very nice looking ride, sorry Mike.

I like Chinese food, what can I say?
    I've been to China. You won't catch me eating that $&#t! Fortunately, I had the foresight to carry along about 25 pounds of GORP, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, etc. Came back just making weight without adding ballast! Normally, it's not a concern
    Steve Barkley

Liked: 211

this is great news reid congrats well deserved

and congrats to brian.. you couldn't have gotten yourself a nicer guy and great driver to help develop your car
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 2

Default Congrats Reid!

Congrats Reid! Enjoy your ride. Well deserved. Thanks for speaking with me recently about Carbir. U da man :-)

Mike

Liked: 7

Default Reid

Wow, I didn't realize that Reid was so popular! I will do all that I can to change that.

When we made the agreement for him to get into the car the terms were that if we do well I get all of the credit and if we don't do well then he has to take all of the blame.

But seriously like the rest of you I was very impressed with his speed and race craft in his older car.

I should be able to start posting pictures next week as soon as parts start coming back from being anodized and plated.

Brian Utt
    Carbir Race Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Utt View Post
    When we made the agreement for him to get into the car the terms were that if we do well he gets all of the credit and if we don't do well then I have to take all of the blame.
    I think you got it backwards, so I fixed it or you.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 02.25.13 at 11:37 AM.

Liked: 601

Default Carbir

No matter how the agreement is written, best of luck to both of you.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Congratulations Reid!

I have been a fan of yours for a while. You deserve this opportunity and I hope it goes great for you and Carbir. I think that it is very cool that Carbir is sponsoring you in this endeavor. You have proven you can drive and develop a racecar. I'm sure that your imput will help them design a very competetive product.

You are an inspiration to some of us "Budget " racers !

Respects,

Marshall

Liked: 43

I must say conrats to Reid as well. He runs with a budget slightly more than mine and manages to be consistently up front. He is an inspiration to me and disproves that it takes a bundle of cash to do well in club racing. Dirty hands, and car knowledge, true old fashioned racing spirit. Add in a splash of talent too.

I am starting to think there has been someone walking around the pits claiming to be a better version of me. Either that or my Dad/Brother/Girl friend/Best friend paid off a lot of people to say nice things about me.

But really, thank you all for the support and kind words. Much appreciated and be sure this will be carried around in my gear bag. I am sure my Dad already has a page for it in his racing scrapbook.

Thank you all

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I am starting to think there has been someone walking around the pits claiming to be a better version of me. Either that or my Dad/Brother/Girl friend/Best friend paid off a lot of people to say nice things about me.

But really, thank you all for the support and kind words. Much appreciated and be sure this will be carried around in my gear bag. I am sure my Dad already has a page for it in his racing scrapbook.

Thank you all

You suck. Feel better?
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    You suck. Feel better?
    Much.

Need some profanity and "your mother" insults, then we're good.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

you guys are killing me !!111111 now let me get up off the floor , as soon as i can catch my breath

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Need some profanity and "your mother" insults, then we're good.
    Your mother, who is a lovely ****ing woman, makes some of the most delightful mother****ing chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted, but you still suck.

Liked: 36

Thank you all

Reid, that's because in the 92VD you were considered an underdog and everyone likes to see the underdog do well. Now that you're the Carbir Honda works driver you're no longer the underdog. You're now a Big Dog. Looking forward to seeing you drive the Carbir at COTA.

Bruce
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Your mother, who is a lovely ****ing woman, makes some of the most delightful mother****ing chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted, but you still suck.
    Snikerdoodles actually. But you were close.

................my Dad/Brother/Girl friend/Best friend paid off a lot of people to say nice things about me.
    Yup, and the March check had better be in my mailbox when I get back home next week, or we is done pal!
    Steve Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    Yup, and the March check had better be in my mailbox when I get back home next week, or we is done pal!
    Just don't cash it until 2016.

Liked: 151

Does this mean your mom is going to send cookies to the track?

Doubt it, she gave up cooking for me when I was 12.

My girlfriend on the other hand seems to really enjoy it. Maybe she will stock me up with some

Liked: 78

Default Congrats!

Congratulations Reid!

Have y'all tested the car at all?
    See ya at COTA!

Meg

Liked: 0

Default Congratulations!

Wow! This is amazing news! It's about time our 'budget' racer had a break! How exciting! Nobody deserves it the way you do, Hazelton! Full Godspeed ahead! Everyone is rooting for you! Can't wait to see you on the track this year!

ryg

Girlfriend ^^^^^^

Hey Wren...ask her nice and we will have some cookies.

Liked: 7

Default Meg

Meg

Sorry but we have decided to take a pass on the COTA race.

Our priority with the FF car is the pro series and we can better use the time and resources getting ready for the VIR opening race.

Besides when Reid found out that there was not a five star hotel close to the track with a presidential suite available for him he was not very happy.

Good luck to you an Mike next weekend.

Brian Utt
    Carbir Race cars

Liked: 78

Thank you Brian!

Best of luck to you and Reid this season!

Meg Sauce

Senior Member SilverCarbir_FC26's Avatar
    Liked: 31

Glad to see Carbir with new cars and running with the Pro series and also happy to see a local driver drive for them! Good luck!!
    Because racecar...

Thread Information