Liked: 1112

Default GoPro Does It Again

I've tried to defend the company's reputation because, with care, I was able to get the rollbar mount to work without breaking and the camera did work for a short time. However, when the camera started freezing up during track sessions I allowed their advice to send me down the path of troubleshooting SD card and battery compatibility issues until the warranty lapsed. Now that the problem is clearly the camera they won't even consider fixing it (for which I could get compensation from the AmEx extended warranty program).

Bottom line: IF you are foolish enough to give them your money for their frequently-defective products be sure to complain early and loudly and often.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Crossposted from the Feedback forum:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56747
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Curious

as to which model cam this is?
    The recent ones (Hero/Hero2) have worked excellently, but I doubt you'd find any open wheel guys raving about the first gen (the ones that took AAA lithium batteries) units as it seemed ANY vibration would have that unit not performing...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    as to which model cam this is?
    HD 960. It did work for one weekend but then started freezing as I left the grid. It took a lot of weekends to verify it wasn't a battery or SD card problem, by which time the warranty expired. My brother had the same problem with an HD 2 which they replaced after a fair bit of run-around.

Again, the bottom line is that you shouldn't expect much customer service if you don't luck into a unit that works.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

BTW,if you ever post a negative comment about GOPRO on their Facebook Page. they will instantly remove it. It is just all joy,upside down airplanes...and guys on the top of ship masts..........Makes me want to purchase a different brand camera!!

Liked: 71

looking for a good camera...what is out there...need small lipstick kind..rollbar mount??

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    looking for a good camera...what is out there...need small lipstick kind..rollbar mount??
    I'm pretty pleased with the ReplayXD's. Their billet rollbar mounts are nice.

They keep rolling out new accessories that make them easier and easier to use. Some quirks with some of the new accessories, but Replay has been good with support.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 1432

GoPro is total crap. I went though 4 before I said just give me my money back, which they did.

Now have a ChaseCam and a Replay1080XD, both a great.

Liked: 20

Default Replay XD1080

I've used the Replay XD for a year now and have been very pleased. Good quality materials, good quality video and the tech support was awesome. I had one failure early on (Battery failed) and they sent me a new camera, no questions asked, with overnight shipping just to make sure I had it for my next race.

Added bonus: They are familiar with formula cars and actually acknowledge us as valuable customers!

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

cliff, we bought a great setup from Scarello. it's priced well. we got a f1600 series discount also. it works extremely well even when Len mounts it sideways and the motor catches fire. i have some excellent sideways footage from Montreal...at least what you can see through the smoke. it was a rare event where i didn't run off track at least once so i can't vouch for vibration, but the heat rating must be outstanding.

Liked: 4

Replay has been good for me. Contour didn't work out.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

Hey, if anyone finds my G0-Pro camera while they're raking China Beach....let me know!!!! I'm still waiting for a return call (email) from their tech/service dept......18 months ago.....no more money to them......

Liked: 384

Replay XD 1080.
    Best application for open wheel race car.
    Well built very easy to operate and less drag.

cheers.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 0

Replay XD's are a great camera! Like any other camera they can have issues but they are great with fixing the cameras and getting them back to you!

If anyone wants one contact me i am a dealer and can work some deals Brandon@shamelessracing.com

New 720p camera is a great deal!

Their new accessories are making it better and better! Including a start stop button or the ability to wire into you ignition switch with auto power start stop!

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

Replay xd is awesome

Liked: 2

I've been using the Contours GPS for over 3 years have not had a problem. Now with the new software it is easy to edit and record to a DVD or Blue- Ray disc. They have a new camera that has replace the model I use, can't comment on it.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

I've had good luck with my RePlay. It's an older one (XD not the newer 1080) but it's performed well. Two hours of video on one battery charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqmgbPeHdK8

I never had a GoPro, but for many years I was very happy with the VIO POV.1 with Wide-Angle lens wired into the car. I don't want to deal with batteries.

About a year ago I switched to the AIM SmartyCam GP Wide-Angle model, which is also wired to the car. Both the VIO and the AIM have a very good 720x400 resolution (not HD) but sufficient for my needs.

The only problems I had with either of them was a broken lens once in while. The SmartyCAM uses a CMOS chip like most new cameras and it needs a solid mount otherwise it gets the famous wavy image effect.

From my experience the AIM SmartyCam GP is the best racing camera, because it starts and stops recording automatically with the customizable data acquisition overlay integrated. It plugs into the AIM dashboard or can also operate as standalone using it's GPS module without a AIM dash. Yes it's a bit pricey, but it's a huge time saver and it will record every session without even thinking about it.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...amgp/index.htm
    Martin Reinhardt

'07 Formula Renault 2.0 ~ SVRA #16 Class: F2
    '07 Cayman S ~ PCA #594 Class: CC11

Liked: 232

Default GoPro (positive)

Jason has used GoPros since the Hero - We upgraded to a Hero2 and now Hero3 (Craig's listing our replaced one) - our experience has be nothing but positive - We are careful to NEVER adjust the mount when tight - have mounted it on the top, front and side ( in fact he has designed and built an aero fairing/DRF) [ dangerouscargo.net ] I know HP Tech f2000 champ use GoPros and did the "young guns" and Cape's champ in f1600 -- all season - and are planning to do so again.
    Last edited by Swift17; 01.29.14 at 4:49 AM.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Can't figure why GoPro keeps sticking with the outdated Kodak Instamatic brick shaped design. Seems all the other manufactures understand aero a little better!

Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 84

mine has been a POS from the start. Never works right, always an issue.

Liked: 36

I have had no problems with my Go-Pro Hero,used for 2 seasons,first one had a problem they said ship it back and replaced it,small problem again,shipped it back and they fixed it and sent it back with a free extra battery...great quality video.You JUST have to be careful with mounting etc,like anything electrical taking a pounding and vibration on a solid bar on a racecar..you USE common sense

Liked: 14

go pro should be sold as paperweights.
    the quality of pictures makes it like you are looking through a tunnel or something.

just looking at the quality of video would not ever make me want to proudly show any video taken with one.

my VIO POV was not able to handle the vibrations of my DB-1. it was able to take 3 laps of video during the entire weekend,................failure.

my chase cam has been fantastic, never failed me, even once, and the video quality is excellent. I bought mine used, and the company still did a warranty for an upgrade for free.

chasecam earned my business with quality product and service.
    you get what you pay for................watching a gopro video would always remind me what a cheap bastard i was.

Liked: 53

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    cliff, we bought a great setup from Scarello. it's priced well. we got a f1600 series discount also. it works extremely well even when Len mounts it sideways and the motor catches fire. i have some excellent sideways footage from Montreal...at least what you can see through the smoke. it was a rare event where i didn't run off track at least once so i can't vouch for vibration, but the heat rating must be outstanding.
    Scarallo*

Ric is talking about Race Optics which sadly is out of business for the time being. There were 3 partners involved and some sort of dispute, different people wanting to go in different directions with it and thats why its shut down for now. I know 2 of them are back together to start again basically picking up where we left off. We still have 1-2 of these units left.

We also have Replay XD1080 which certainly alot of people on this thread have said good things about. We have ApexSpeed Member discounts at all times too and occasionally host special sales too.
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

GoPro is one of the great swindles of all time. Even saw one inside a Ferrari F1 car. They have conned the world.
    Replay is the way.
    Hybels

Liked: 10

Default Replay HD

Purchased a Replay XD well over a year ago, 6 months out of warranty the colors went all red and green, I called the support hotline and he asked me to send it back to be looked at or repaired, week later I get a email stating they sent me a new unit free of charge and did not charge freight. I know who gets my business!

Liked: 17

Default Go Pro Crap

My Go Pro Worked amazing for the first 10 seconds of track time......every time.......almost.......

Or shal I say it just Sux As$

CM

Liked: 14

Replay XD
    or
    GoPro

GoPro's commercials are pretty cool, i like the formula car putting a wheel off mid corner at some West coast track. that is exciting.
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 02.14.13 at 9:32 PM.

Liked: 10

Probably the wrong place to post this but here is some great video from the 2012 Monaco Historic F1 race. The video is from Race Technologies YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCnavB9rVA

FYI I killed two GoPro Hero Wides Autocrossing. Plus the vibration of the roll hoop mounting was too much for the video whether or not it contributed to the failures. Bit the bullet since I wanted a DL1 also and bought an RT Video4. It works fine.

Dick
    85 VD

Liked: 384

Those guys are PAINFULLY slow.
    Great video ..
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 2

Given the vast number of GoPros out there, I'd suspect that the happy folks significantly outnumber the unhappy ones.

I'm in the happy camp. I used a HDHero (first gen) for a full season with great results - nary a glitch. Then I won a Hero2 (thank you inaugural Majors progam!) and used it for most of a season... with even better results.
    The ONLY two problems I've had:
    - mildly annoying that the file splits to a second file about 35 minutes in
    - I wish the cap nuts were fixed in the plastic mounts, I hate when they pop out - I've already lost one of them
    I've even used mine underwater and other than softish focus, the picture is solid.

I love my GoPro's. I think they even have a remote start now so that pretty much completes the portfolio for me.

As always, YMMV.
    Some fun race vid (so I've been told) from my first gen HDHero if you're bored:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dme-A4-ddo

Liked: 29

Is it just me or do others see the video distortion in GoPro videos? Sometimes it is mild but othertimes it is so bad I can not watch the video. Is this the product of the cameras of the editing software?

Quote Originally Posted by beachguy12 View Post
    Is it just me or do others see the video distortion in GoPro videos? Sometimes it is mild but othertimes it is so bad I can not watch the video. Is this the product of the cameras of the editing software?

Look at the picture on this page comparing! Its because of their fish eye lens! http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    This is simultaneously the most hilarious and heart breaking blurb I've read in a while.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Thread Information