Liked: 8

Default Mo Tech ADL3 or CDL3

Does any one currently use the ADL3 or CDL3 Mo Tech system. I am looking at both of these units for my F1000 and looking for any feedback that can help.
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Liked: 80

Jason -

Folks may chime in, though I don't personally know of anybody using one. Most common, I think, are variations of AiM's products, as they hit a very nice price/functionality point.

I'd suggest giving David and Ellen Ferguson at Veracity Data (www.veracitydata.com) a call and getting their thoughts - they're expert with both systems.

Cheers!

-Jake

Liked: 384

I have ADL3 on my PFM.
    amazing system.
    However its quite pricey.
    mine came with the car and is integrated in it.
    If i had to buy it on my own i don't know if i would be able to swing it.
    Aim is cheaper and good as well.
    Also great tech support.(at least here in SoCal.)

cheers.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member
    Liked: 101

Peter Krause (Tigaman) sells them as well. I know he was just doing a big Motec training day yesterday with Chris Brown of Motec West. Great systems but $$$$$.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrmbell View Post
    Does any one currently use the ADL3 or CDL3 Mo Tech system. I am looking at both of these units for my F1000 and looking for any feedback that can help.
    The ADL3 and CDL3 have very different capabilities. What do you intend to do with the system? Specifically how many channels do you want to log, and at what logging rate? I think you will find that your capabilities are very limited with the CDL3.

For an F1000 I would consider the Motec SDL3 or ADL3. A Pi Omega would also be a great option.

Liked: 20

Very powerful but also very expensive. Don't know of anyone using them for a F1000 right now. I run a EVO4 AiM with the AiM wheel and I'm very happy with it. You can also now get the MXL dash to run with the EVO4.

I'd definitely give Veracity a call and speak with them. They know all the systems very well and have worked with us on both AiM and Motec systems.

Liked: 2

I had an ADL in my Stohr FB. It is very powerful. I am a mechanical engineer, not electrical and I tend to struggle with creating wiring harnesses. This made the ADL a bit difficult and expensive as i had to have a harness created for me. The bottom line is that a Motec system is very powerful but also expensive for the unit, sensors, connectors and wiring. For the money, I could had a top of the line AIM system that is simple, expandable, and plug and play.
    Ken

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

I have used Pi Omega with a full compliment of sensors on my FC car. Very good system. There is one for sale in the general classifieds right now and its at a smokin good price. Another $1000 and your looking at a system that would cost about $7500 to replace with new.

I use MOTEC on my PFM. Very good as well. Pi may be a tad more complicated to learn how to get where within the programs but both are top shelf systems and one is as comprehensive as the other.

I just installed AIM on my F1000 car but the system on that car is not as comprehensive as on the the FC or the PFM.

I have heard very good things about CDS, mostly how easy it is to use. CDS new pricing rivals Pi and MOTEC in most cases but I have never used it. I must admit, I'm looking forward to trying it one day though.

If your on a budget, you should take a look at the Pi on APex in General classifieds. By the time you sensor up you will be around the price of Aim but will have a more comprehensive system with the Pi IMO.

Tom Remedios at Pi is a huge resource, Chris Brown at Motec is a huge resource. I dont really have a resource for AIM other than Britain West in Ontario but they have been very helpful and knowledgeable for the AIM system.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Default Aim MXL Pista

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Robertshaw View Post
    I have used Pi Omega with a full compliment of sensors on my FC car. Very good system. There is one for sale in the general classifieds right now and its at a smokin good price. Another $1000 and your looking at a system that would cost about $7500 to replace with new.

I use MOTEC on my PFM. Very good as well. Pi may be a tad more complicated to learn how to get where within the programs but both are top shelf systems and one is as comprehensive as the other.

I just installed AIM on my F1000 car but the system on that car is not as comprehensive as on the the FC or the PFM.

I have heard very good things about CDS, mostly how easy it is to use. CDS new pricing rivals Pi and MOTEC in most cases but I have never used it. I must admit, I'm looking forward to trying it one day though.

If your on a budget, you should take a look at the Pi on APex in General classifieds. By the time you sensor up you will be around the price of Aim but will have a more comprehensive system with the Pi IMO.

Tom Remedios at Pi is a huge resource, Chris Brown at Motec is a huge resource. I dont really have a resource for AIM other than Britain West in Ontario but they have been very helpful and knowledgeable for the AIM system.
    Blair,

Which Aim system did you install?
    I am currently looking for a system and was thinking of the MXL Pista.
    Anyone else out there used one of thes?

Desmond

Liked: 1

This is an excellent summary from someone who has used both. Pi and Motec are both outstanding, and the software offers essentially identical capabilities. You could not go wrong with either a Pi Omega or a Motec SDL/ADL. Both offer anything that a club racer could ever need.

Contributing Member

Desmond,

We installed the EVO 4. There were specifics for that;

1. we wanted the formula wheel
    2. we wanted GPS (our MOTEC IS BEACON, go for GPS, beacons cost allot to ship back home), our Pi was GPS
    3. we wanted engine vitals as all do, we wanted Brake Pressures
    4. being we have installed the AIM on a rental car, we wanted the capability to expand to a full compliment of data should a renter get more frequent and consistent. Too much data for a young driver can be confusing. Most data systems are expandable but with MOTEC, Pi and from what I have researched CDS expandability comes at a greater price than AIM. My personal experience is that that more expensive systems allow you to do many more things that are usefull and many things that may not return the investment in time invested because of the time you are actually racing or not racing! A serious club effort may well be worth the investment in a MOTEC, Pi or CDS system but I know a Pro Mazda team that runs a full compliment AIM system very successfully so there you have it! No real clear line unless budget is at the fore. Good luck in your selection but regardless what you run, you will run faster with engine data paired chassis/ driver data provided you apply what you see. And you cant hide so be prepared!

Contributing Member

Thanks Rick and Blair for your input.

Desmond

Contributing Member

sorry, re read my last post. Wasn't clear why we went with AIM on the rental car, the reason we ended up with AIM on the rental car over and above the MOTEC, Pi or CDS was that the other systems do offer expandability like AIM but the entry level pricing is much lower with the AIM. AIM is more than capable for most club racing.

Once you get familiar with the various data systems out there, by using them, you are then better at identifying if the data you seek, in the format you like is worth the upgrade to the other higher end systems. In some case very much so, in other cases perhaps not!

Contributing Member

sorry, re read my last post. Wasn't clear why we went with AIM on the rental car, the reason we ended up with AIM on the rental car over and above the MOTEC, Pi or CDS was that the other systems do offer expandability like AIM but the entry level pricing is much lower with the AIM. AIM is more than capable for most club racing.

Once you get familiar with the various data systems out there, by using them, you are then better at identifying if the data you seek, in the format you like is worth the upgrade to the other higher end systems. In some case very much so, in other cases perhaps not!
    I was doing some more research and for my needs I think the EV04 and the Aim steering wheel will work for me at this stage.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Desmond

Liked: 8

Default Mo Tech ADL3 or CDL3

Thanks to all for the information. I did contact Veracity Racing prior to this Post and have the install of the MoTech ADL3 system being completed by David and Ellen next week. The system being on the expensive side indeed but I believe well worth the cost for all of the Data we will collect.

I will post pictures once it is completed and in my possession.

Thanks again to all the valuable information posted !!
    Jason Bell
    STOHR 2013
    F1000
    f1000bwracing@highwaysystemsinc.com

Thread Information